Reoccurring dreams

Are people still getting the standard student dreams:

1) Going to school/university naked (either during regular class, or during exams)?
2) Waking up, and suddenly realizing you've got to take an exam you have not studied for (or never attended a class because you never knew about it...)
3) Taking an exam and having nothing come to mind - as if the exam was written in swahili?

I still get them, especially around exam time, and I haven't attended university in 3 years...

I do get that one where I break into a zoo with a cudgel in my hand and all these monkeys are running away from me screaming frantically and I am chasing after them, clubbing them in the head, and stuffing them into a bag.

I still have that dream.

Worf said:
Are people still getting the standard student dreams:

1) Going to school/university naked (either during regular class, or during exams)?
2) Waking up, and suddenly realizing you've got to take an exam you have not studied for (or never attended a class because you never knew about it...)
3) Taking an exam and having nothing come to mind - as if the exam was written in swahili?

I still get them, especially around exam time, and I haven't attended university in 3 years...

Yeah, me too. I finished college a loooong time ago and still have the dream where I find out I had registered for a class and never attended it over the course of the semester. I actually did do that once or twice during my Sophomore year..... Anyway, in my dream I usually find out about it around 2 weeks before finals. I insist that the Registrar made a mistake, but the powers that be say no dice. In the end I'm stuck having to pass the cumulative test because the professor won't let me drop the course. :mad:

I have both the teeth falling out and enrolled in a class I didn't know about nightmares. The enrollment one isn't so bad. It could leave me in a bit of a panic as I woke up toward the end of the semester but its only lasting effect on the day is that it leaves me feeling like I forgot something.

The teeth falling out dream, on the otherhand, is the bane of my existence. It always feels so incredibly real. Sometimes I dream that I have woken up from the nightmare only to still be in it. When I eventually do wake up from it, I have to ask myself if I really am awake and I'm almost afraid to touch or look at my teeth. It's only in the last six months that I think I've had this dream, and I've been startled to realize how many people share it. I've talked to, at most, 10 people and two or three others had it often as well.

Shipgate said:
There must be something behind this dream where my teeth keep falling out. I've talked with other people who also dream about their teeth coming out. It's very disturbing. And I know I need to see the dentist to get a few cavities done. But besides that, my teeth are fairly healthy. I'm willing to bet some of you have had this dream...

I had this dream a lot of times. I also had a few good ones after playing a game for more than 10 hours a day like Vice City. Then I used to dream about stealing Ferrari and gunning down people.
I won't mention those about naked women though :eek:

I used to have a dream where I would be walking along with some people and then my feet would get stuck in the ground and everyone else would keep walking. I would try to scream for help but nothing comes out of my mouth. Except teeth sometimes...

Occasionally, I'll have horrible dreams about my ex.

Worst dream I ever had was that a girl (that I was dating at the time) and I were in a car wreck. She was unconscious, and I was badly wounded. A hospital wasn't car, so I picked her up in my arms and tried to carry her to the hospital. For some reason, though, I was being shot at by snipers with blowdarts. As the darts hit me, I became more and more weak, until I could no longer carry her. I fell to the ground, and saw her lying there, dying, and screamed because I could do nothing to save her, or even to save my own life, as I also was dying.

That's a horrible dream.

Damn, ive had a dream sorta like that... well ok the only similarity is the sniper thing... and they have real bullets, you know... 7.62 rounds... and im trying to run and get away, but i have no idea were they are and what their range of vision is... i usually end up getting shot, and i wake up

I am SO glad I have never had the teeth falling out dream or the slightest dental problem in real life - coincidence? The worst reoccurring dream that I sometimes have is being stuck in some kind of swamp or pond full of putrid decaying fish. Weird huh?

Yep. I guess you're right.
My weird dental dream was probably caused by the huge bill I received the last time I went to the dentist: 900$ :eek:

I actually work in a psychological field, and I have done some dream work. The dream in which one's teeth fall out is rather common, and can be representative of various things, depending on the context in the person's life. For example, in one case I am aware of, it became clear that the dream was an expression of the patient's fears of growing older and becoming incapacitated, which was also manifesting itself in various other ways in his life and relationships.

In another, it was an expression of a man's empathy for his deaf sister, and a form of grieving over her lost hearing. Once again, to give any real interpretations, we would need to know the context a little better. However, we often experience and work things out in dreams and fantasies (even in video games, if you would beleive that. I myself have days when I need to go back and play WC:p and complete a hard mission without losing any wingmen... probably a manifestation of my savior archetype trying to form a complex, or an expression of my need to make things orderly and safe. Fantasies like WC serve an important function in our lives, and we also need to make sure that we don't let fantasies take over the function of reality in our lives).

So, I'd say it's nothing to worry about your dreams too much. Just enjoy the dreams. However, if they do become a little too disturbing, seek out a competent professional. Not all psychologists, social workers, marraiage and family therapists, and psychiatrists were created equal. Ask to see their credentials and see if their work is based on solid research. And don't waste any of your time reading books by John Gray (the guy who wrote the "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" stuff). He's a great salesmen, but a lousy psychologist and researcher. I'd stick with Jung, Gottman, Johnson, and other people who actually base their work on sound theories and good research.

But, that was probably more than you all wanted to hear.

Sphynx

hey sphynx (this is off topic) i noted that in one of your posts (cant remember which thread, sorry) you had some latin writen above your name, what does it mean?:confused:

Back