Raptor???

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Okay, so Dave's incredibly kick ass Hornet inspired me to revisit my Raptor. I can't even come close to what he did with his model, he's incredibly accomplished. I went back in and tried to add detail as best as I knew how...thiss is the results. Not too bad, but not too great either. Oh well, I learned some things in the process.

P.S. the Rod thingie was a throwback to the WW2 fighters...totally a personal thing and I'll probably remove it later.

Raptordetail1.jpg

That's exactly how I'd imagine a Lego Raptor looking. Sweet. Actually, that'snot a bad idea - maybe someone could make one of those?

Howie

Well...I guess that's a compliment. I'm still a new one to modelling so give me time (I'd appreciate any pointers). This model is about 6K polys...

Ok. sure.
First tip. To make better wings, you might try the following. (I'm assuming you have 3DSMax)
Draw a curve that matches the crescent wings. Go into edit spline mode (right click>Convert to editable spline) and click on the last selection method. Select the curve. then find an option called "Outline" you may have to hunt for it. select that tool, and click and drag on the curve until it has the thickness you want. then convert it to editable mesh (same as above, only choose editable mesh). Go to the 3rd selection method (little red square) and select everything. Extrude to fit the length of the wing. De-select everything. Add a cap holes modifier. Bingo. you can use basically the same methods to do the gracefull curving wings, as well as some bits of the hull.

Good luck.

Howie

you know, I do have enough blocks and seeing as I have just broken my foot and have nothing better to do of a sunday maybe I shall look into trying to make one. No promises but if I do I shall post here

That's exactly how I'd imagine a Lego Raptor looking
Why not!? I made a Broadsword out of Legos once, way back when. If I remember correctly it wasn't too shabby either. Moving turrets, replacable landing gear (had to improvise those), missles and torpedos with hardpoints, little hatch on the side like the character uses to enter. Only thing that would've made it perfect would have been having only green, red, blue and white pieces to keep the color scheme. Shoulda takin' photos!

I made something of a modified Rapier out of legos, once. I made a few changes, though. Added another laser (I'm assuming the long guns were the lasers? If not, then another neutron gun) over the top. Had to rearrange the missile scheme a bit. Wrapped it in aluminum foil "armor" and had a lot of fun. I still have it around somewhere. Also made something that was supposed to look a bit like a Darket, but it took some imagination to see the resemblance.

Actually, and I've been dreading telling the community about this, but I took my physical and was rejected due to some physical defects. Looks like Military life isn't for me :(

I'm sorry. Really. If it's something that can be fixed, I hope you get it fixed and get going. If you can't, don't worry about it. If everyone could be a Marine, it wouldn't be the Marines. Check out the Air Farce and the Navy.They don't have as demanding physical requirements. Good luck.

Sorry to hear that.

Good luck, and maybe the Coast Guard could also be a possibility. They're at least paramilitary, and their mission is the saving of lives, not the taking of them. A noble and worthy pursuit, indeed. But in the end, it's your decision.

Actually, when I discovered that Marines wasn't an option, I did some reconsidering. I'm currently doing what I can to learn about running a business. I'm thinking of building a warehouse.

Back