Rapier IV?

Well I am considering "Super fighter" based on whether you actually fight in it, or whether you just sit and shoot without even having to think. That makes the Bearcat a super fighter because of its autotracking guns. The Vampire is a bit overpowered too (unless you are facing Devil Rays), but at least you actually need to aim.

I don't recall the Bearcat having autoaim... in fact, its wingtip guns made hitting things quite problematic :p.

Originally posted by Quarto
I don't recall the Bearcat having autoaim... in fact, its wingtip guns made hitting things quite problematic :p.

Yeah, it does, and that combined with the wingtip-mounted guns means that the bolts pass neatly on either side of smaller targets. You're usually better off turning off the autotracking and aiming manually so that one pair of guns hits while the other pair misses.

actually, you're better off skipping the bearcat and moving on to a different fighter :D.

Originally posted by Ijuin
Well I am considering "Super fighter" based on whether you actually fight in it, or whether you just sit and shoot without even having to think...
How 'bout a "Firefox"? A fighter (Think the Clint Eastwood movie of the same name) that you, pretty much, ONLY have to sit and think in--the fighter does the rest. I suppose alternately you could call it "The La-Z-Boy" :D

Originally posted by Preacher
you, pretty much, ONLY have to sit and think in--the fighter does the rest.

Would you really want a fighter like that? You can sit there at your computer for hours doing nothing but watch the ship fight. Although I reckon there will before anything like that happens, a fighter will be developed where the pilot isn't in it, rather is back on a base somewhere in a simulator still flying the ship. Sort of like a control car...although limitations are distance as well as the lag.

The Vampire is a bit overpowered too (unless you are facing Devil Rays), but at least you actually need to aim.

The Vampire got underpowered guns for a ship of that class. That is why many actually prefer the Panther instead. Personally for fast kills I prefer the (Black-)Wasp.

Yeah, it does, and that combined with the wingtip-mounted guns means that the bolts pass neatly on either side of smaller targets. You're usually better off turning off the autotracking and aiming manually so that one pair of guns hits while the other pair misses.

Autotracking is noooooooooooooot good at all.I have better chances to hit something manually than with Autotracking.Especially at Nightmare

Originally posted by cff
The Vampire got underpowered guns for a ship of that class. That is why many actually prefer the Panther instead. Personally for fast kills I prefer the (Black-)Wasp.
I dunno, I never had any trouble with the Vampire's gunpower. Actually, that's what I hated about the Vampire - good guns, fastest ship in the game, and very heavy armour. Sucked :p.

Originally posted by Preacher
How 'bout a "Firefox"? A fighter (Think the Clint Eastwood movie of the same name) that you, pretty much, ONLY have to sit and think in--the fighter does the rest. I suppose alternately you could call it "The La-Z-Boy" :D
Actually I always thought the morningstar looked quite a bit like the Firefox :)

C-ya

Originally posted by StarLight
Would you really want a fighter like that? You can sit there at your computer for hours doing nothing but watch the ship fight...
Sure; it would be put in the "novelty-class fighters". :D Pilot would basically just be there for back up if the automnated systems failed. ;)

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
Autotracking is noooooooooooooot good at all.I have better chances to hit something manually than with Autotracking.Especially at Nightmare

Depends on ships and situation, but yes - I found myself turning off Autotracking a couple of times. Most importatntly against capships...

I dunno, I never had any trouble with the Vampire's gunpower. Actually, that's what I hated about the Vampire - good guns, fastest ship in the game, and very heavy armour. Sucked :p.

Good guns. But not excellent ones. You can waste enemies faster in other ships (especially in the black variants)

Originally posted by cff
Good guns. But not excellent ones. You can waste enemies faster in other ships (especially in the black variants)
Ooh yeah, the black Wasp was one of the finest killing machines ever. But still, the Vampire's guns were more than adequate to make it a super fighter :p.

Black Wasp is an excellent interceptor yes.And one of my favorites in the WCP along with Pirancha and Tigershark (the new multirole.....wish they had an upgraded Hellcat...nevermind)

I also like Panther,but its easy too kill with it,it just doesnt have ant fun!!

Wasp`s best weapon:Swarmers ofcourse!!!It reminds me Robotech scenes when I fire them

As the description says, it's designed to match and in some aspects surpass the Tigershark.

The UBW already have a ship that does it since WCIV, it's named the Vindicator medium fighter. :)

Originally posted by Delance
The UBW already have a ship that does it since WCIV, it's named the Vindicator medium fighter. :)

The Vindicator is a light bomber/medium fighter. In WC2 terms, it is like the Sabre, while the Rapier IV would be analogous to the Rapier II that you fly with Hobbes/Stingray. Essentially, the Vindicator sacrifices a bit of speed and agility for torpedoes and the bomber turret, making it useful for just about any mission that doesn't call for speed, while the Rapier is optimized for dogfighting at high speed. The two would compliment each other rather well, actually.

Currently, I envision the Vindicator for UE2 as being something like 400/1100 kps, turn rate similar to Scimitar, 300 shields/200 armor, 2 Laser/2 Lt. Tachyon/1 Heavy Stormfire 400 rounds/1 bomber turret, 4 DF/4 IR/4 Lt. Torp., with the Rapier IV being something like 450/1300 kps, turn rate 90/90/90, 230 shields/160 armor, 2 Ion/2 Particle, 4 DF/4 IR/4 FF.

The Vindicator is a light bomber/medium fighter. In WC2 terms, it is like the Sabre, while the Rapier IV would be analogous to the Rapier II that you fly with Hobbes/Stingray.

The Tigershark is a "light attack craft". What's your point?

Essentially, the Vindicator sacrifices a bit of speed and agility for torpedoes and the bomber turret, making it useful for just about any mission that doesn't call for speed, while the Rapier is optimized for dogfighting at high speed. The two would compliment each other rather well, actually.

Yes, it would be a nice combo. In fact, the Vindicator is greatly superior to the Scimitar or the Epee. And it's also better, arguably, than the Hellcat or the Tigershark.

Currently, I envision the Vindicator for UE2 as being something like 400/1100 kps, turn rate similar to Scimitar

Hey! Let's not downgrade the turn rate. The Scim was a bad and slugish ship on WC1. The Vindicator had a decent turn rate on WC4. And Pliers was able to boost either armor or speed, so let's put this improvements on the other vindicators.

300 shields/200 armor, 2 Laser/2 Lt. Tachyon/1 Heavy Stormfire 400 rounds/1 bomber turret, 4 DF/4 IR/4 Lt. Torp., with the Rapier IV being something like 450/1300 kps, turn rate 90/90/90, 230 shields/160 armor, 2 Ion/2 Particle, 4 DF/4 IR/4 FF.

In the tradition of the BW, the Vind should have 6 DFs and 4Hs and 2 IRs plus 4 Lt Torps for the "bomber" version and 4 DFs, 8Hs and 4 IRs for the "fighter" version.

And since everyone have tachyons now, why not give it 2 normal tachyons and 2 mass drivers/viper cannons? It would be neat.

As for the Banshee: upgrade one set of lasers to viper or MD, it needs it.

In WC2 terms, it is like the Sabre, while the Rapier IV would be analogous to the Rapier II that you fly with Hobbes/Stingray.
The Rapier IV is not optimised for dogfighting. It's a strike fighter.

The Rapier IV is not optimised for dogfighting. It's a strike fighter.

I am afraid that the distinction escapes me. Anyway, I was trying to say that I consider the Rapier to be more capable of handling fast, agile opponents in comparison to the Vindicator.

Back