Rapier IV?

Ijuin

Admiral
I was wondering what kind of stats you had in mind for the Rapier IV fighter? It wasn't seen in UE since it's still experimental (much like the Excalibur was at the start of WC3), but I expect we will be seeing it in the sequel to UE.

Personally, I am thinking that it would have speed, agility, shields, and armor similar to the UE Banshee, with a similar missile loadout (like possibly 4 DF/4 IR/8 HS, and a possible bomber loadout of 4 DF/4 IR/4 HS/2 Lt torp), but it would also have autoslide, and it would have 2 Laser/2 Viper Cannon or 2 Lt Tachyon/2 Viper Cannon for its guns. Gotta have Viper Cannons if it's supposed to be the BW's hot new heavy fighter--this would place it just below the WCP Panther in performance.

No, the database did not give any numerical stats for the Rapier IV. It only gave a description along with the bit about it still being an experimental design slated for mass production within a year's time. What were the planned stats/weapons for it?

Well, I don't want to reveal too much, but don't think of it as an improved Banshee. It's more of a Banshee-Scimitar crossbreed (with, naturally, some improvements over both designs). As the description says, it's designed to match and in some aspects surpass the Tigershark. The Border Worlds can't really afford fighters of quality equal to top-of-the-line Confed ships.

I can tell you, though, that its rate of afterburner acceleration is absolutely superb :D.

Hmmm, sounds good. I do hope that it has Viper cannons though.

So we're talking speed and agility somewhere between the Scimitar and the Banshee (maybe 500 cruise/1300 afterburn or so), with shields and missiles better than the Scimitar?

Originally posted by Quarto
Well, I don't want to reveal too much, but don't think of it as an improved Banshee. It's more of a Banshee-Scimitar crossbreed (with, naturally, some improvements over both designs). As the description says, it's designed to match and in some aspects surpass the Tigershark. The Border Worlds can't really afford fighters of quality equal to top-of-the-line Confed ships.

I can tell you, though, that its rate of afterburner acceleration is absolutely superb :D.

I like that UE teams consider such things...just like what you said Quarto.Even a new BW fighter cant be equal but to a Confed Tigershark..no more :)
VeryGood!

What I dont get,is why named Rapier4?The Rapiers where Confed made fighters ;)

The Union of Border Worlds probably also has a few of those old Confederation Rapiers in their fleet, though. Calling it the Rapier I would be confusing.

Well thats true its already confusing the BW Banshee (Wc4) and the Confed Banshee (WcArmada).

I should point out that the Rapier IV name was my idea, and I came up with that for no reason whatsoever... I actually made that model for no reason whatsoever, but Q thought it'd make a nice gimmick :)

--Eder

Originally posted by Ijuin
So we're talking speed and agility somewhere between the Scimitar and the Banshee (maybe 500 cruise/1300 afterburn or so), with shields and missiles better than the Scimitar?
Something along those lines, yeah.

Originally posted by Eder
I should point out that the Rapier IV name was my idea, and I came up with that for no reason whatsoever... I actually made that model for no reason whatsoever, but Q thought it'd make a nice gimmick :)

--Eder

You should do the HellcatIX or something instead of Rapier!
Hellcat Hellcat Hellcat I love Hellcat

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
:( No one likes Hellcat :( Am I the only one in here? :(

It seems that everybody either loves or hates the Hellcat.

Among the anti-Hellcat camp, the general sentiment is that, in comparison to the Arrow, the Hellcat sacrifices too much speed for too little firepower--100 kps slower cruise, 200 kps slower afterburn, no autoslide, and 1/3 slower turning rates compared to gaining 20 shields/20 armor, Ion/Neutron guns instead of Ion/Laser guns, and having 6 missiles any type instead of 8 IR/HS missiles.

On the other hand, the anti-Hellcat people say that the Hellcat loses too much firepower over the Thunderbolt in exchange for too little speed--a gain of 40 kps cruising, 200 kps afterburn, and 20% faster turning rates in exchange for the loss of the torpedo, the Mass Driver rear turret, 20 armor/30 shields, and having the weaker Ion/Neutron guns instead of Plasma/Photon/Meson guns.

Either way, the consensus is that the Hellcat sacrifices too much of one area for too little of the other. Personally I would say that giving the Hellcat an extra 20 kps cruising speed and 5 dps turning speed would go a long way towards balancing it against the other two fighters.

Well,all you say are true.Hellcat is the most balanced Medium of all as it is in my opinion....

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
Well,all you say are true.Hellcat is the most balanced Medium of all as it is in my opinion....

Well the Hellcat might be fine, but then all other fighters are overpowered. The Hellcat just sucks in relation IMHO. There is no reason for me to pick one when I get the choice.

Well,its one of the few that can successfully fly through atmosphear.Its a very good multi-role fighter..
I dont know why,but with it I can score better than otherr crafts...at least I think..:eek:

I dont like flying super fighters (Dragons,Excaliburs etc.) so I really like flying a Medium like Hellcat :p

I am very pro-Hellcat myself (where is Col. Dom when he is needed? :) ). I too believe that all flight sim games incorporate too many 'superfighters'. I want a 'realistic' fight, something that I come out of a furball with and want to kiss the ground/flight deck I just landed my mangled wreck on, not demolishing 30 enemy fighters in a sortie and still holding on to half my missiles. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, the Hellcat is a true artists machine. It takes everything you've got to squeeze every drop of performance out of that beautiful machine.

In regards to the Rapier IV, though I would love to have a new fighter to get my hands on, I think it should be named something else. There are plenty of other names it could be called that are just as lethal. The nod back to the old games is cool, but just the same, popular culture should not be a determining factor in the naming of a plane. Like recently, the F-22 went from being named the Lightning to the Raptor (much in thanks methinks to the success of the JP movies), which I think is so very tacky. Just as the Tigershark is in the evolutionary line of the Hellcat, it is different enough from it's predeccesor to be given a new name. I think the same goes for the Rapier, though I'm probably in the minority. :)

C-ya

Please, no more "I love/hate the Hellcat" wars. :( I really don't mind the Hellcat myself, but after people kept going on and on and on and on... (and on!) about loving the Hellcat, I became quite annoyed.

Anyway, the Rapier in UE couldn't be called a Rapier I or II since they're in the movie and WC1/2 respectively. In any case, the Mark number is used to differentiate between completely different ships of the same name, so there's no reason why the Border Worlders can't call their ship a Rapier. There is also a BW Banshee and a Confed Banshee, BTW.

Back