Quick Question

Lunatic

Spaceman
Sorry this isn't related to WC, but I got nobody else to ask.

When you apply to college, do you get your SAT score report and send it in with your application, or do you call up the College board and get them to send it to the school? These damned applications have got me all confused!

If I remember correctly, ask your high school to send your transcript to the college. It should be attached. You can also send your SAT scores to your college yourself.

Ain't it a bit late to be applying anyway? :rolleyes:

When you take the SAT you're given the option to send the scores to several schools -- if you do that, then the school will already have the score. If you didn't, you need to have College Board send the scores to whichever school you're applying to -- they *won't* accept scores in person from you <G>

(I spent the summer working in an Advising Department and it shows!:))

Danm, so apparently it's not just the Australian system that is screwed like this :/

Sucks when your whole career (University/TAFE/College entry) is decided just based on one stupid score that for any number of reasons can be incorrect or inaccurate to what it should be...
I got screwed with that - got a 51.5 ENTER score (for VCE - High School to you US ppls - meaning my score was (only) above 51.5 percent of the state), yet I'm getting straight HDs at TAFE (basically College, to you US ppls).

College really isn't decided on one score -- the SATs are, in fact, optional...

I would say that college entrance (from having worked in such a department) is based equally on high school grades, SAT/ACT/whatever test you took scores and your entrance essay. A good essay can, quite honestly, make all the difference in the world <G>

ah, I see.

Unfortunately we don't get that here :(

But then, this is talking about a country that gives 83% of the cash to 30% of the secondary students *sigh*. No wonder our education system is so screwed.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
College really isn't decided on one score -- the SATs are, in fact, optional...

I would say that college entrance (from having worked in such a department) is based equally on high school grades, SAT/ACT/whatever test you took scores and your entrance essay. A good essay can, quite honestly, make all the difference in the world <G>

That and also extra ciricular activities and also high school classes. If you get a B in an AP course, it will be looked at better than an A in say a CP course.

Also most schools don't have interviews really count for much, most of the time they are optional

Yeah but I would say most major colleges require an SAT or ACT score if your comming from out of state I know some schools aren't so strict on those scores if you stay in the state

The heck is a CP course?

Well, the interviews are sure as hell mandatory for what I wanna do. Hell, I gotta take 2 each!

In my experience, after school activities matter very, very little -- it's just too easy for people to make stuff up, and reletively impossible to check... so it gets ignored.

Originally posted by Napoleon

If you get a B in an AP course, it will be looked at better than an A in say a CP course.

Well then here's hoping I get a B in the AP philosophy class I'm taking when school starts up again. It's supposedly a very hard course [evan as AP's go] they said something about it being some special non-highschool course that you can take as an AP [if your suicidal ;) ] .

A trascript is the record of your grades... it doesn't list things like clubs you belonged to, positions held, that sort of thing.

Extra-curricular activities within your high school though (e.g. Yearbook making, providing studying support for inferior classes, bake sales to raise funds) are often put in your high school transcript...

Myself... :cool:

What is placed on documents like this I suppose depends on the institution, or even what country you're in.

For instance here, we are asked to supply a list of things like activities, in school and outside, which can be put on a report to be used for future employees when you complete your VCE.

Wow, I'm glad I'm me. When I signed up for college I said "Hi, I want to sign up." They just asked if I had graduated from high school, and I was in.

College

I was lucky. The town I lived in had a Junior College so if you graduated from the town High School you were in. I didn't have to take ACT or SAT.

Once I graduated with my Associates Degree from the Junior College (2 year college) I applied at a four year University and got in.

However it was not all easy, I worked full time in the day and had to go at night. My bachelors degree took fifteen years to complete. I did lay out for eight years before returning to finish.

Back