Quick Question: WCP/ SO Pilot Counterparts

Triple-B

Rear Admiral
Hi,

I am currently experimenting with WCP und SO and always asked myself who are the Pilotcounterparts of each game.

The voice of "Pepper-wing" and "November-wing" sound familiar. I believe November ( SO) is Caveman (WCP) ?

Is there a counterpart list, maybe a script, where I can look up these things?

Hi,

I am currently experimenting with WCP und SO and always asked myself who are the Pilotcounterparts of each game.

The voice of "Pepper-wing" and "November-wing" sound familiar. I believe November ( SO) is Caveman (WCP) ?

Is there a counterpart list, maybe a script, where I can look up these things?

I may be wrong about this but I think that the extra voices for WCSO were all voiced by the development team.

I may be wrong about this but I think that the extra voices for WCSO were all voiced by the development team.

That's right, they reused some of the generic pilots, but all of the Cerberus pilots have been re-sampled, including Casey. Rumour has it that they didn't actually employ any voice actors, and just used whoever was working that day.

Are you just referring to the generic pilots? I'm pretty sure the actors for Maestro, Stiletto, Spyder and Zero returned to reprise their roles.

I can confirm that for the German version. iirc, even in the German version, they have recast Casey.

I can confirm that for the German version. iirc, even in the German version, they have recast Casey.

Casey was recast in all the versions - the actor that played him wasn't very helpful as far as the series want, or so the story goes. But the other 'main' pilots were all portrayed again by their main voices. As stated though, the generic pilots were whoever happened to be working that day.

Casey was recast in all the versions - the actor that played him wasn't very helpful as far as the series want, or so the story goes.

Yeah, but you could have the same voice-actor for the other versions as well. It wouldn't make sense to recast all the voice-actors in a game, where there is voice-only for the actor of the actual movies ;).

Does anyone seriously think, that EA will make wc 6 were the player is supposed to play casey again? I think EA must be dissapointed with the performance of the actor..

Does anyone seriously think, that EA will make wc 6 were the player is supposed to play casey again? I think EA must be dissapointed with the performance of the actor..

I didn't think he was too bad, Casey always seemed to fit the role of modest and quiet newbie on board. That said, Steven Petrarca doesn't seem to have been up to much lately, and since we didn't hear his voice in Secret Ops, it seems unlikely he'll return for any future WC games - but who knows?

Are you just referring to the generic pilots? I'm pretty sure the actors for Maestro, Stiletto, Spyder and Zero returned to reprise their roles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245565/

You're right.

Steven Petrarca was asked to reprise his role as Casey for Secret Ops but he (or rather his agent, I suppose) declined, demanding more money. The amount asked was considered very unreasonable by the production folks at Origin--in some alternate history he probably would not have been asked back as Casey for Wing Commander 7.

I believe he's left acting at this point and now runs a fancy Los Angeles-based catering company - http://stevenpetrarcaevents.com/

No -- any realistic future game would be a return to fighting the Kilrathi, the series' "signature" concept. If Wing Commander were a major franchise again I would campaign to see the Prophecy 'story' finished in some other medium (novels, comics, a social game, something).

That's right, they reused some of the generic pilots, but all of the Cerberus pilots have been re-sampled, including Casey. Rumour has it that they didn't actually employ any voice actors, and just used whoever was working that day.

They did employ "real" voice actors--by 1998 you pretty much had to. There are credits in the Prophecy Gold manual and some will still show up as voice actors when Googled.

I believe he's left acting at this point and now runs a fancy Los Angeles-based catering company - http://stevenpetrarcaevents.com/

Never saw that, wonder if it's the same Stephen Petrarca, I could somehow imagine him making a grand host to such lavish soirees.

They did employ "real" voice actors--by 1998 you pretty much had to. There are credits in the Prophecy Gold manual and some will still show up as voice actors when Googled.

That's definitely correct and Google/IMDB seems to confirm it. For some reason I had it in my head (and I'm sure it was you that wrote it, in here) that somebody that day was a voice stand in. Now I'm probably misquoting you, and genuinely, Ben, I really hate to do that because it's like correcting the WC God in his own heaven :) so presumably I dreamed the 'stand in' thing...or can anybody find what I'm talking about?

That's definitely correct and Google/IMDB seems to confirm it. For some reason I had it in my head (and I'm sure it was you that wrote it, in here) that somebody that day was a voice stand in. Now I'm probably misquoting you, and genuinely, Ben, I really hate to do that because it's like correcting the WC God in his own heaven :) so presumably I dreamed the 'stand in' thing...or can anybody find what I'm talking about?

I remember him saying that somewhere too, but I can't find where.

That's definitely correct and Google/IMDB seems to confirm it. For some reason I had it in my head (and I'm sure it was you that wrote it, in here) that somebody that day was a voice stand in. Now I'm probably misquoting you, and genuinely, Ben, I really hate to do that because it's like correcting the WC God in his own heaven so presumably I dreamed the 'stand in' thing...or can anybody find what I'm talking about?

I honestly don't remember that. Could you be thinking about the Wing Commander movie, where they had anyone who happened to be visiting the Digital Anvil office do (volunteer) ADR work?

The Secret Ops cast does include an Origin employee or two--the one that stands out is Patrick Bradshaw, who was (marketing) product manager for several Wing Commanders... but he actually has a number of other voice credits, so it's likely more of a case of the fact that they had a qualified voice actor in-house.

May well have been that, but honestly don't recall...thanks for coming back to us on it all the same.

I honestly don't remember that. Could you be thinking about the Wing Commander movie, where they had anyone who happened to be visiting the Digital Anvil office do (volunteer) ADR work?

Is that how they got Mark Hamill to do the Concordia bridge voice?

Wasn't Merlin supposed to be a PDA-style assistant that Blair carries everywhere? Meaning the script was adapted to just have him as the Rapier's onboard computer. This sort of begs the question, if they had Hamill available for a bunch of lines, why not slap on the make-up and make him Blair?

Wasn't Merlin supposed to be a PDA-style assistant that Blair carries everywhere? Meaning the script was adapted to just have him as the Rapier's onboard computer. This sort of begs the question, if they had Hamill available for a bunch of lines, why not slap on the make-up and make him Blair?

Seeing as this was to be an origin story, I don't think people would have bought Hamill as a fresh-faced plebe, no matter how much make-up/cgi was used.

Hell, it was hard enough with Freddie Prinze Jr.!

Is that how they got Mark Hamill to do the Concordia bridge voice?

Probably--I'm sure he recorded it at the same time. Hamill did the Merlin ADR for free as a favor to Chris Roberts... which is why he's uncredited.

You mean the voice of Merlin.

I'm sure that was meant as a nod to the WC games, as Merlin was initially to have a much bigger part.

He's the voice of one of the Concordia officers, too--you can hear him addressing Tolwyn towards the end.

Yes. The script wasn't actually changed, though--the film was shot with the intention of including the Merlin hologram. Scenes were shot with a blank doll standing in for Merlin, who would have been CGI'd in later.

The whole movie was taken apart and put back together in post production to remove the need for Merlin and to take out the traitor plot. It's amazing that it works as well as it does when you consider that any shots with the doll would need to be thrown out (and any that referred to him, or the formerly massive traitor plot...).

Hamill wasn't on set in Luxembourg or anything like that, though; he did the ADR for Merlin later (I *think* while visiting Digital Anvil, but he may have done it from LA?).

(Second unit would have filmed an actor as Merlin to place over the doll, but that never happened. I guess it's possible that it could have been Hamill... the novels have Merlin looking like a wizard version of Blair's father, IIRC.)

Back