Questions and things

Plywood Fiend

Rear Admiral
What follows is the result of having nothing better to do at 2 in the morning.

1. Does Blair's period of mourning for Angel in wc3 seem surprisingly short for anyone else? I mean the guy spends two or three missions + the scenes in between in his weeping state and the next thing you know he's advancing on Racheal/Flint.

2. Do you think that Seether is a better name for a cat or a goldfish?

3. Is Eisen still alive in prophecy?

4. What is the hard drive space needed for wing commander 4?

5. Why is there a heart monitor in the Tiger's Claw barracks?

1. Yeah, it did. It really seemed to make Blair unsympathetic in regards to his personal loss, but it wasn't nearly as creepy as when he goes after Sosa in the WCIV novel.

2. Hmm...probably a cat, but only if it is a genetically enhanced cat.

3. Considering that there is a TCS Eisen in Prophecy, I would guess no. Aside from the USS Ronald Reagan, has there ever been a U.S. Navy ship named for someone who was still living?

4. Dunno

5. To indicate which savegame slots were being used. As far as the in-game reason, I've no clue.

1) He's just looking for some company because he's lonely- it's rebound action, not a sign that he's moved on. I think he probably should've taken more time recovering by dealing head on with his loss. His relationship with Rachel doesn't work out anyway, and maybe he wouldn't have become an alchoholic if he addressed his issues rather than seeking an "escape". He doesn't do much advancing either since both Rachel and Flint blatantly flirt with him first.
2) Seether is a better name for the goldfish- A cat should have a Kilrathi surname
3) The guy who played him isn't alive in real life- not sure about Eisen in the game.
4) For a Macintosh you need 46 MB of free hard drive space and 8 MB RAM memory.
5) Don't know.

Plywood Fiend said:
1. Does Blair's period of mourning for Angel in wc3 seem surprisingly short for anyone else? I mean the guy spends two or three missions + the scenes in between in his weeping state and the next thing you know he's advancing on Racheal/Flint.
Yes, but you can opt to not persue either option... However, Blair may have suspected for a while before that she was dead. Besides the fact that despite his love, they had been apart for some time before he learns of her death. He amy have already grieved in a way, and her death just freed him to move on. Or the other option is that a new relationship is simply just to keep himself from dealing with the loss. It may have been less about love or sex than a form of denial. What does the novelization say? (other than that he ends up with rachel)

Cat

4. What is the hard drive space needed for wing commander 4?

A full DVD install is around 65 MB whereas the DVD video uses up 6.71 GB (I copied them to my HD for ease of use while editing)

Vital signs monitoring? In case a pilot dies in his sleep? A way of knowing a pilot is in bed rather than in the bar when he should be sleeping?

Mad Cow said:
3. Considering that there is a TCS Eisen in Prophecy, I would guess no. Aside from the USS Ronald Reagan, has there ever been a U.S. Navy ship named for someone who was still living?

Admiral Arleigh Burke was alive when the destroyer USS Arleigh Burke was commissioned. I'm not sure if he is alive today. I'm assuming Former president Bush will be alive when the carrier USS George H.W. Bush is commissioned.

There's also the Los Angeles class SSN Hyman G. Rickover (SSN-708), named after the father of the US nuclear navy, which was officially commissioned in 1984, roughly 2 years before Adm. Rickover's death.

As for Adm. Burke, he passed away on January 1996, while the Burke class's nameship was commissioned July 1991.

Admiral Arleigh Burke was alive when the destroyer USS Arleigh Burke was commissioned. I'm not sure if he is alive today. I'm assuming Former president Bush will be alive when the carrier USS George H.W. Bush is commissioned.

There's also the Los Angeles class SSN Hyman G. Rickover (SSN-708), named after the father of the US nuclear navy, which was officially commissioned in 1984, roughly 2 years before Adm. Rickover's death.

As for Adm. Burke, he passed away on January 1996, while the Burke class's nameship was commissioned July 1991.

Going off this, then, you can't really assume that Eisen is dead because there is a TCS Eisen, although it would seem to be a safe assumption since I'm guessing that was the Wing Commander team's tribute to Jason Bernard.

While on the subject, though, maybe someone more familiar with the development process of Prophecy could answer a question for me. Was Eisen originally slated to be in Prophecy? Did anything have to be changed or reshot after he passed away?

Plywood Fiend said:
I agree. I for myself would have liked it, if he would have mourned for the rest of WC3 and then have gone after Panther (meow) in WC4.
A mean goldfish.
3. Is Eisen still alive in prophecy?
He is in a retirement home and bragging about his heroic deeds to the displeasure of his cohabitants :D

Mad Cow said:
While on the subject, though, maybe someone more familiar with the development process of Prophecy could answer a question for me. Was Eisen originally slated to be in Prophecy? Did anything have to be changed or reshot after he passed away?

I believe I've read something to this effect. Eisen would certainly make more sense than Wilford.

Yeah, it's pretty sudden. But it develops over the course of the game, even before he knows Angel's dead. Also, I think more time passes than is obvious when you play the game. But Blair's a man, how long do you want him to mourn? :p It's like in the second Austin Powers, after Vanessa blows up. "I'm single again, baby, yeah!" Hmmm.

It's a better name for a crappy radio rock band from South Africa. Also a goldfish. I've always wanted a cat named Thrakhath.

Why not?

re: blair's mourning - i figure by this point a) on some level he knew it was coming, even likely, and he's lost enough friends and ships to know how to bounce back at least to the level where he can do his job and b) his life and the war have both pretty much gone to hell over the last year - no time to mourn, dr jones.

that said, when i play wc3 i always make the choices to end up alone.

Besides, that "never existed" crap only applies to the movie. Everyone other game and movie has characters that refer to deceased friends.

well, sure the mourn time is short, but the developers wanted to fully employ their new "choose your own reply" tech, <jk>and what would be better then letting nerds pick up Ginger Lynn? It's not like they will pick any girl up in their lives anyway... </jk>

Maybe they were influenced by the whole sax thing in ultiam 7 series. now that is a game with a lot of sex. lots of little pixel people sex. ugh.

Edfilho said:
Maybe they were influenced by the whole sax thing in ultiam 7 series. now that is a game with a lot of sex. lots of little pixel people sex. ugh.

Well, it was optional, wasnt it? :p

nope, no sir. The Avatar must sleep with the mage woman in Ultima 7 part 2, even if the Avatar was a woman. So, not only did U7p2 have mandatory sex, it could be lesbian sex. :)

Back