Questions and things

I know plenty of cats not named after Kilrathi

cat vs goldfish because more of a predator vs prey imagery and Seether seems more predator than prey

No cats I know are named after kilrathi... And seether just sounds like a fishy thing.

I'd name my cat something like Stephen Malkmus or Robert Pollard.

Mjr. Whoopass said:
Why would you guys say cat? You don't think a Kilrathi name would be more appropriate?

Well, yeah, but you offered us a choice of a cat or a goldfish. Between the two, I'd pick the cat for the name.

If I had a cat, I'd call it Hobbes. And if anyone ever said, "Oh! Calvin & Hobbes, right?" I'd give them a short speech about the best wingman I ever had. :p

Thrakhath would be pretty good, too. Kirha would work, as well.

I think that Hobbes from Calvin is also named after the Philosopher. But I'm sure that Halgha being called Hobbes is a joke with the stuffed tiger.

Calvin and Hobbes was one of the funniest cartoons I ever read. Simply Hilarious. They say that Hobbs was names after the philosopher but in my mind he always reminded me of the big Furry hobbes that Calvin use to imagine in his mind. (Especially in WC2)

Dralthi5 said:
Actually, the philosopher (WC2) and the cartoon (WC3 novel).

Having never read the WC3 novel, I wouldn't have known that he was also named for the cartoon, though I'd find it odd that a cartoon would last for hundreds of years.

Wasn't it Hobbes in WC2 that tells you about his callsign?

WC2 said:
Maverick: All right. I have another question… why the callsign?
Hobbes: The original Hobbes was a Human philosopher. Downtown suggested the callsign, as he considers me to be very wise.

WC3 Novel said:
Blair ... was the one to bestow the nickname "Hobbes" on the renegade Kilrathi after encountering the name in an ancient piece of Terran folk art in a fellow pilots collection.

i tend to believe the game, not only because it is the game, but also because the novel contains at least one other hobbes-related continuity error.

Edfilho said:
nope, no sir. The Avatar must sleep with the mage woman in Ultima 7 part 2, even if the Avatar was a woman. So, not only did U7p2 have mandatory sex, it could be lesbian sex. :)

You could turn her down as well, but her lover would imprison you anyway. :confused:

Perhaps in-game he named himself after the philosopher but you would be silly to think that they didn't name him after the tiger in a developmental sense

Porthos said:
Having never read the WC3 novel, I wouldn't have known that he was also named for the cartoon, though I'd find it odd that a cartoon would last for hundreds of years.

Don't think he's quite 100 yet, but Mickey's getting there. :)

Back