Questions about the stormfire, and work around thoughts for SO

It's not your fault - GeoCities prevents access to images from external sites. In fact, the link you have given now also doesn't work. What you need to do is provide a link to it from the main page of your site, and then provide us with a link to your site.

i sent you a pic of it Q, i think..... did you get the pic of my dagger i sent to you? what did you think? i would like some outside opinion... thanx

I didn't get it in the mail, but anyway... first up, I'm not really the person to be giving opinions about these - they look fine to me (except the textures need quite a bit of work still), but Eder's the real model expert :).
My one problem with these ships is that they look more like real world fighters than WC spaceships. You might want to modify them a bit - make them less aerodynamic and stuff. Maybe add some elements that resemble existing WC fighters.

i have a lot of the WC ships on 3ds files... they are all really simple, and i wanted to go for something more complicated. the textures are my FIRST GO AT THEM, iv never mapped a ship with my own textures before. i have another two at home (im away at the moment) and one of them have a kilrathi-style swept forward wings.... it looks mean. i tried doing some strange thing with wings on another of them....... but that kinda failed and it looks crap. i have to sort that out.. what do you suppose i do then?:( the ships look aerodynamic because i wanted them to look fast, since they are light fighters. the bombers are aiming to be more shoe-box like...... but thats a long way away. anyway... if you look at the fighters in prophecy, theyre quite aerodynamic, for example the Panther..

Well, yeah, the Panther is aerodynamic, but it also doesn't have a sufficient wing surface to fly in atmosphere :p. Don't get me wrong - I actually kinda like how the Dagger looks (slightly less so for the Snipe), but it just isn't WC enough. Also, note that the ship's cockpit is somewhat large compared to the rest of the ship. Even if it's a light fighter, this size of the cockpit would indicate that the entire fighter is only about 6-7 metres long - which is about 5 metres less than the Piranha or the Ferret.

i thought someone would mention that........ the snipe is more of an "ugly" ship..... meant to look agressive. i know about the wing surface idea, and i didnt take that into account when i built it.... so you think the cockpit bubble should be smaler on both? i do admit the one on the snipe looks too big. but im concerned that it will make the ships look out of proportion, and i dont want that. anyway..... how do i put it in2 prophecy? i want to edit it more, after iv adjusted the required items. let me guess, if i showed you the back end youd say that the rear engine nozzle is too big/and/or wrong! (yes the skin is simple and not very detailed) one critical probelm for the snipe, which i dont know if youve picked it up..... is that the air intak in the front is in conflict with the cockpit. if you look at the cockpit, the pilot would be effectively half in the air intake.... not good at all. anyway, i cant do anything to either of them at the moment until sunday

It does need to look like something that belongs in the WC universe, though. Actually, I suppose the Dagger does (since it looks a bit like the Stiletto), but the Snipe doesn't.

Well, I'm basically assuming that the cockpit bubble is about two metres long (actually, I suppose for a one person fighter it should only be about 1, 1.5 metres long) - in which case, the fighters both end up being too small. Try to keep the light fighters at roughly 10 metres of length.

As for converting them into WCP, I'm really not the expert on that. I'd point you to KW's tutorial, but unfortunately the site on which it was posted is down. So, all I can do is point you to KW :).

Finally, the engine nozzles - I don't know if they're too big or not, having not seen them, but keep in mind that we do not at this stage know any way of making the WCP engine flames bigger. Thus, if your nozzles are bigger than the flames, you'll be in trouble :p. As a rule, it is better to have two or three small nozzles rather than one big one.

Originally posted by Basilisk thanx for the compliment Mekt.
Nothing to thank, I just stated my opinion. :)

I like the Snipe too but there I agree with Quarto, she doesn't look very WC-ish, more fitting in the Star Wars universe IMO. But you're right too, there are always new concepts introduced. hell, the first time I saw WC3 I thought thath the ships looked nothing like WC. <g>

Back