Question to Priv/Righteous Fire vets...

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
I've finished Righteous Fire, and I still love playing it. However, I'm starting to get bored with flying the Centurion. As it's obvious that I want to try flying either the Orion or the Galaxy, I am left with this simple question: What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Orion and Galaxy compared to the Centurion?

You want to buy an Orion? I'm telling you, you do!

The Orion's neat because it can have Level 7 shields and engines... it's *not* neat because it only mounts a single missile hardpoint.

The Galaxy is neat because it has a huge cargo capacity... and two turrets, I guess. It's the best ship for being a pirate.

The Orion is heavily protected (really!) but also rather unmaneuverable. With the speed booster it can reach 405 kps I think, not too bad. I don' t fly it, beacuse it only mounts two guns and one launcher (plus a rear turret) and the view from the cockpit isn't too good.
The Galaxy is slow, mounts tweo guns, towe launchers and both a top and and bottom turret (which I found to be pretty useless, since they have no radar). But it can carry a lot of goods though I never ever made use of that. In fact I never made much use of the Galaxy at all.

heh... well, I was thinking that I wanted my Tarsus back, almost. I miss the simplicity it had, even if it was a really weak ship. The Orion sounds like a good ship. I guess I'll have to see which will win the coin toss when I get enough credits. Buying upgrades at the beginning of RF took my 1.2 million credits away, and I didn't earn it all back in the course of the game. So, I'm getting another million (Maybe 2 mil?) to buy a new ship. What strikes me as funny though, is that I'll probably get another million just from the ship and the upgrade parts alone.

Here goes my impressions about the Priv1/RF ships:

Tarsus - If you wanna get back to base almost dead every time, fine. Low shields, few guns, few missiles, little cargo space, bad manuvereability (sp?), little speed, poor visibility. Playing RF in it is like playing WCP in Crazy/Nightmare level.

Orion - "A regular tank". Its shields are so huge when I face a lot of ships I kill half by hitting them with the ship and half by fighting. I think it´s a good one for beginners, though, since it can take a lot of shots and survive. It can make your life difficult sometimes because she´s slow, with little firepower and bad YPR.

Galaxy - She´s too big. I do not like it, specially because all those turrets are useless since you don´t have a gunnery crew. It´s a good choice if you want to be a merchant, though, but me, I´m in it for the killing :)

Centurion - If you load it with all the extras, it is so good that the game becomes boring, since facing enemies in groups of 5 or less is really easy.

My advice for spicing up the game is: Try the Orion.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The Orion's... *not* neat because it only mounts a single missile hardpoint.
Ehh, I seldom use missile in Privateer anyway. :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The Galaxy is... the best ship for being a pirate.
If by that you mean you can scoop up loads of cargo while you let the pirates do the hard work of, well, being pirates. :)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
The Orion is heavily protected...
That's true, but sometimes I'm lazy and let the shields deplete to almost nothing - I find it takes a very long time to recharge shields.

Originally posted by Starkey
My advice for spicing up the game is: Try the Orion.
Really, it should be up to you. Try saving them as separate games if need be. I personally go through the Orion and the Galaxy before starting the main game, but I can do that because I'm patient. So patient, in fact - I hadn't the time to finish RF before uni started, but I'm currently working for Murphy with a kill score approaching 2000 (ha, ha Maniac) and a bank account nearing 4 million. :)

Anyway, I found the Orion okay, provided you loaded it up with full upgrades - which can take a large chunk out of your savings. Also, it's a pity all the ship you can buy only have two guns (excepting the Centurion, of course).

I haven't ever 'retired' from the Centurion myself, though if I were to do it, I'd take the Galaxy - it's not too fast, but it's manoeuvrable enough, and the loads of cargo you get with it is a big bonus.

...Now if only you could opt to start with a Talon... Roughly same armor than a Tarsus, 3 Hardpoints + 1/2 Missiles, and less Cargo than the Centurion...

Originally posted by Wedge009
I haven't ever 'retired' from the Centurion myself, though if I were to do it, I'd take the Galaxy - it's not too fast, but it's manoeuvrable enough, and the loads of cargo you get with it is a big bonus.
Fancy that, that's what my plans are/were too :). But I haven't played Priv in years. Hmm, high time to make me a DOS partition, I guess.

Well, if you manage to get it running, you may want to explain to the poor guys in Tech Support how you managed it. ;)

I myself, stayed a long time with the Orion before buying a Centurion in Privateer... it's a really neat ship that's very well protected!! Though, if you have finished the game and want to explore new horizons, try buying a Galaxy and get into the Pirate business! :)

The Galaxy actually effectively has FOUR guns, not two, since the forward-facing top turret guns can be fired from the cockpit. I like to use tachyon guns for my main guns and meson guns for my turrets (meson guns are cheap and the bolts from them travel about the same speed as tachyon bolts), so if I want extra firepower, I cut in with the top turret in addition to my main guns. Having four guns in this way means that the Galaxy has weapons, shields, and armor equivalent to the Centurion even though it still is slower. This makes the Galaxy my personal ship of choice.

Yes, but we're talking about the situation where one has finished the main game and is bored of flying the Centurion.

Back