Question for WC war vets...

Originally posted by mpanty
Yet Roach, look at the AMAZING AI of Half-Life!!!

If Marines can be so vicious and "intelligent", why not virtual starfighter pilots? :)

The marines in Half-Live use a scrip events that made then look more "cleaver".

WC Memories

I've got too many great memories from the series to start on all of them. I think I've got as many great memories in the series as from real life...and I haven't even got to III and IV yet. The highlighs so far...

First time you get to fire a Mace in WC 2 <evil grin>

First time Blair kisses Angel in WC2 (so I'm a hopeless romantic...)

Gotta love the strike missions in the Sabre

GREAT moment in WC1 when Col. Halcyon announces that the Scimitar was retired.

about 10 minutes ago, playing Privateer RF, when a SINGLE pirate Talon decided to attack me...and i'm flying an Orion with Lev 7. engines, Lev 6 shields, forward tachyon/rear neutron guns, all of the speed and performance upgrades, best EVERYTHING, you get the picture...
In all the games I've ever played on my computer, THAT was the definition of overkill. Damned fun, too.

Oh yeah...the one memory I'll NEVER forget. 9-10 years ago or so, walking out of elementary school, my then-best-friend casually mentions his mother buying a cool new game for him, only it was so hard and he couldn't get anywhere in it, and since I was good at most games, I should go to his house and try it. 20 minutes later, I'm taking off from the Claw for the first time, and the obsession begins... =)

Anyway, I FINALLY got WC II and IV off of Ebay, they should be arriving in the mail by tomorrow, I HOPE (i'm getting VERY impatient), so I'm sure there's plenty more memories to come.

The Scimitar is better then the Rapier. Hold the trigger. and you'll do more damge then a Rapier will in the same time.

Gee... I´ve been thinking and the best memories that I have from all the Wing Commander games are the ones from ... Privateer. I know, but what can i do? Working hard to buy those next generation guns and then blowing up Retros with just one shot... Amazing feeling. I must have spent weeks playing that game. And how about that Saddam Hussein poster in the Mercenaries Guild ? LOL

That was one of the very few funny aspects of all WC games. The programmers sense of humor sux. Offcourse, now someone will come and say something like "war is not funny lad"...

The best wc1 moment for me was the first stelth ship encounter.

Don't beleave me than play wc1 don't kill starkiller than go to the tigers claw than go back to nav 1 and watch the show.

wc2 greatest moment must have been when a kill that destroyer on the get pod mission am guns are bad. Also isn't that an inconsistency as they can't aim them at fighters easierly but bombers easy.

WC3 killing T and K

Originally posted by Shooter
That was one of the very few funny aspects of all WC games. The programmers sense of humor sux. Offcourse, now someone will come and say something like "war is not funny lad"...
Well, real war is not funny, a simulate can be quite fun.
And Maniac IS funny. And so is Doomsday.
And I have to agree, Privateer has one of the strongest atmosphere of all WC games. But my best memories are from WC1: This is truly the best game I've ever played. That music whn you get the Gold Star ahh and the possibility to get promoted and so on, it was and is great!

But back to the topic "Lots of dumb enemies or fewer smarter enemies": When I played Freespace the first time I was really amazed: the enemy was almost a challenge and when those Shivans (or whatever they were called) appeared it was really hard (until you got the shield breaking technology but it was still challenging) to shoot them down. I liked it better to fight against 3-5 challenging foes than to kill tons of incompetent stupids with crap ships. And it gives the enemy a more frightening aspect if he is "smart" than if you can think: "Oh, 12 Dralthis/Morays are attacking, great I can save my missiles again."

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 02-28-2001 at 12:05]

Originally posted by Supdon3
I wept for Confed when they retired the Scimitar. Stupid Rapier.

:(

I still remember that first mission in a Scimitar, with Paladin... :)

You had to fly through that damn mine field at McAuliffe and then engage fightes afterwards...
Those mines really got my bird messed up...

Good AI is very possible. The designers of Unreal Tournament opted for making smarter bots rather than "superhuman" ones that are stronger or do more damage than you (Quake III).

Of course after a lot of practice you can defeat even Godlike bots...but they are damn smart.

Wing commander 2- the mission were you retrive the data capsule from the ship you watch blow up & the mission were you take out the asteroid base with a mace. and the cutscene were spirit rams the base. Damn, Jazz to hell!!

wc4-Hum about half of the missions in the game Crius missions,the confed missions,dekker missions,the jammed system missions .The cutscene were vagabond died, he was the best, one of my favorite characters from 3&4 after seeing that, I went back and played through wc3 picking him as a wingman every time[with the exception of the missons were there was no choice].

But the very best missions come from privateer & RF. You never know what's going to happen in those missions. Especially with the way system damage is in those games. In priv I remember a mission were I was fighting in an asteroid field, a rather nasty battle, I was all but destroyed [every system was in either red or destroyed] my top speed was pathetic, my manuvering thrusters were shot to hell, but then the enemy flew right in to my sights. I fired my remaining torps, BOOM kitty litter. Then I had to play first person asteroids for awhile until my ship was in shape to fly again. In RF I got nailed to hell just about everything was completly destroyed,but seeing there was only one enemy left and it was a weak one he couldn't get through my armour. So I flew very slowly, with no thrusters or shields away. I got away autopiloted to a base, only to find four or five confed on the far side of the base. I took my chances, flew toward the base hoping to get there before they could get to me to kill me. I got damn close to the automatic landing zone, but alas BOOM privateer litter :( . The cutscene in priv were the credits were listed off :) .

[Edited by Dekkar on 02-28-2001 at 19:16]

Re: WC Memories

Originally posted by Shadowcat450
GREAT moment in WC1 when Col. Halcyon announces that the Scimitar was retired.
mad.gif

I'll throw the stones, if you guys promise to back me up in court later on... you know, say that it was in self-defence.

LOL Quarto!

You should add "Scimitar fan" to your profile or better yet, your signature... ;)
Pffft, these cadets have no respect for "good ol' ships" LOL

I'm kidding Shadowcat, I was a cadet not so long ago... :)

Guh... Scims...

Do any of you guys have any favorite moments while you were flying? Such as... being chased down by four Vaktoths, only to witness two of them colliding into each other? That happened once when I was fighting a small hoard of Darkets... hehe... they're funny when they go boom.

Back