Question about modular components.

Ijuin said:
Here's a question: Would there be ANY practical benefit to traveling faster when you are not chasing a target/being chased? I mean, would it matter in any of the missions (or in free trader/mercenary flight) whether you arrive after four sim hours or twelve? When will you need to hurry, outside of scripted missions where you have to "get there in time"?

It might be very important in some kind of ocasional shifts of goods' prices on various system markets. I.e. in Frontier there was always some news on a bulletin saying the famine has struck here or a great need for medications is there. When you followed this hint as quickly as possible (before other -- obviously in-engine emulated -- pilots satiated the market with much needed good) and flew to meantioned system with proper cargo onboard you could earn twice sometimes even triple the ammount of profit normally possible to acquire with the same goods shipped. Don't know if in Pioneer this is the case but it might be.

I kinda like the idea of the scoops, makes sense to me in a strange way. It does offer the one bit of new complexity to the game, which I do like.

Also, it can better explain random encounters with pirates, kilrathi, retros, etc.

Think of it, a group of pirates are floating around in the middle of a busy flight lane between two planets. Two ships approach. One is leaving trails of fire and speeding by like a screaming missle, ie scoops in. Pirates know better than to chase a target they'll never catch, unless they got some kind of large scale tractor beam to slow down the target. No, they're gonna gun for the other ship, the one chugging along with full scoops out, because they can easily engage it.

The way I'd see the payoff/cost for scoop setting would be:

Scoops In: Positive - Shorter travel time, fewer combat interruptions. Negitive - Shorter travel distances, more refueling stops.

Scoops Out: Positive - Longer travel distances, less refueling stops. Negitive - Longer travel time, more combat interuptions.

Don't know if that's the intent of the people at the helm, but that's how I'm reading it.

That's an idea--the more you retract your scoops, the lower your chances of hitting a random encounter, especially for non-kilrathi enemies.

No, he was talking to me. Magnum liked the idea. Brad decided he should treat me like a two year old for some reason. He's gone -- permanently.

Permanently?! That seems a bit harsh. I could understand a temp ban, but a permanent ban for someone who is a huge contributer to the community and is involved in a fan project? It seems to me that the punishment doesen't fit the crime.

As for scoops/autopilot speed, I like the idea. But I like complex games anyway (ever play Star Fleet 2?) so maybe my opinion is a bit skewed. Anyway, it doesen't seem to be overly complex, makes rational sense, and it adds some more depth to the gameplay. Fits in well with the full solar system simulation model too.

He can go tell Spiritplumber and HellcatV about how great it is that he's in the army over and over and over now.

There was absolutely no need for him to be a jackass

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure HellcatV has never insulted you or wcnews, so why the grudge?

Permanently?! That seems a bit harsh. I could understand a temp ban, but a permanent ban for someone who is a huge contributer to the community and is involved in a fan project? It seems to me that the punishment doesen't fit the crime.

It's ultimately not for me to decide, I just asked an administrator to ban him. It seems fine, though, as Brad is pretty dumb.

In that case, Chris, why do Brad's actions warrant a permanent ban? Is there something else Brad did, because to me it seems that brad just got a little bit aggressive in defending his point of view -- something that I think just about everyone on this board has been guilty of in the past if we are to be honest with ourselves.

I wasn't trying to be an asshole to you, and I didn't know about rule number 9. I apologize. I will PM Chris then (assuming I'm not banned first) and perhaps the section of posts that violates rule 9 should be removed?

I don't make it a point to memorize every specific rule on every forum that I post on. In any case, I have PMed Chris on the matter. Again, sorry for violating your rule.

It's ultimately not for me to decide, I just asked an administrator to ban him. It seems fine, though, as Brad is pretty dumb.

Well, then if your resentment goes away (hopefull it's not taking forever) we all hope you will ask administrator again - this time to unban Brad. I guess, it's in the best interest of this project and its fans if we have him back. Thank you.

Stop it. Just Stop it. Brad is banned. Fine. Move on. He certainly doesn't need you - any of you - to defend him. Continuing to piss LOAF off and bitch about it is going to solve precisely squat.
I frankly don't care if LOAF's being a bit of a bastard - anyone who's been around here more than a week would know what to expect. It's LOAF.
Don't act so surprised.
There is absolutely nothing to be gained from complaining about it. NOTHING. Plus, it's against the rules. You're only going to get the mods and staff more pissed off at you - resulting in more bans. And everyone will be sad.

I'll say it again to those who are continuing this (Hurley, Plasteel) - Knock it off. It's not helping, and I'm starting to get pissed off now. This is detracting from the work that is actually going on. You don't think Brad actually needs a valid account to continue to work on this, do you? No.
Stop it. Let it go.

Well, then if your resentment goes away (hopefull it's not taking forever) we all hope you will ask administrator again

Just in case I haven't made it clear in the past, I don't like you.

I frankly don't care if LOAF's being a bit of a bastard

And I absolutely am not. Brad deserved this -- his reply was disrespectful and stupid. There is no reason an intelligent person would post in that manner and *not* expect to be banned. In either scenario, Brad *needs* some sense kicked into him.

And I absolutely am not. Brad deserved this -- his reply was disrespectful and stupid. There is no reason an intelligent person would post in that manner and *not* expect to be banned. In either scenario, Brad *needs* some sense kicked into him.
Agreed.

hurleybird said:
but a permanent ban for someone who is a huge contributer to the community and is involved in a fan project

Being involved in a fan project isn't a 'get ouf of jail free' card.

hurleybird said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure HellcatV has never insulted you or wcnews, so why the grudge?

Are you kidding?

hurleybird said:
I wasn't trying to be an asshole to you, and I didn't know about rule number 9. I apologize. I don't make it a point to memorize every specific rule on every forum that I post on.

If I just got unbanned from a forum two days ago, I'd probably read the rules before posting again.

hurleybird said:
I will PM Chris then (assuming I'm not banned first) and perhaps the section of posts that violates rule 9 should be removed?

I hate forum PMs.

Back