Question about modular components.

BattleFate

Spaceman
Pioneer will have modular components like the original privateer. Will generators (engines) and shield generators also be purchasable and upgradable like the original?

If so, could I ask a favour? In the interest of balance, can you have it so that the heavy fighter supports a higher shield level than a cargo hauler? In Privateer the Centurion could only have generator and shields of level 3, and the Galaxy also had level 3. The Orion could get up to level 5, but that ship was almost never used. Since there is a level 4 generator available, I would have prefered a setup like this:

Ship - Generator level / shield level

Tarsus (scout) - 2 / 2
Orion (gunboat) - 5 / 5
Galaxy (cargo hauler) - 3 / 3
Centurion (heavy fighter) - 4 / 4

It seems to me that the heavy fighter should have a noticable difference in shields over a cargo hauler. There were two levels of generators and shields that only the orion could use. With a setup like tha one above, at least most players could have used the level 4 stuff...

What are the limitations planned for each of the ship types? (i.e. generators and shields allowed per ship, hard points for missiles and guns available, cargo, etc.)

We have been told that the Hunchback will mount two missiles, the Tarsus will mount four, and the other ships will mount more (probably six).

Here's what I imagine so far. Values with question marks are speculative.

Note: I am speculating that each level of shield/armor upgrade is worth about 4.0 cm equivalent, much as the Privateer upgrades were worth 10.0 cm equivalent. I am also assuming that canon WC1 ships have values similar to the values in the original game.

Hunchback:
Speed: 250-280 k/s?
Afterburner: 500-550 k/s?
Maneuverability: 60/60/60 d/s?
Shields: max Level 2 (8.0/8.0 cm)?
Armor: 4.0/4.0/4.0/4.0 cm, one upgrade?
Reactor: max Level 2?
Jump range: 2-3
Guns: 2
Missiles: 2
Note: Slow, Slow, SLOW, the slowest player-flown ship in the whole WC universe with the exception of the Drayman in Privateer Remake. To top it off, it also has armor and armaments barely comparable to the Hornet.

Tarsus:
Speed: 300 k/s
Afterburner: 600 k/s
Maneuverability: 70/70/70 d/s?
Shields: max level 2 (8.0/8.0 cm)?
Armor: 8.0/8.0/8.0/8.0 cm, one upgrade?
Reactor: max level 2?
Jump range: at least 6
Missiles: 4
Note: Except for the lower cruising and afterburner speed, the Tarsus comes out roughly comparable to the Scimitar IMO.

Camel:
Speed: 300 k/s?
Afterburner: 550-700 k/s?
Maneuverability: 50/50/50 d/s to 60/60/60 d/s?
Shields: max level 3 (12.0/12.0 cm)?
Armor: 12.0/12.0/12.0/12.0 cm, one upgrade?
Reactor: max level 3?
Jump range: 4-5
Missiles: 4-6
Turrets: 1 aft
Note: The Camel is probably slower and less-armed than its successor the Galaxy, but probably will be able to handle Bandits in groups of four or less (but don't count on taking on Grathras or Jalthis).

Hydra:
Speed: 320 k/s
Afterburner: 700-850 k/s?
Maneuverability: 70/70/70 d/s?
Shields: max Level 4 (16.0/16.0 cm)?
Armor: 12.0/12.0/12.0/12.0 cm, two upgrades?
Reactor: max Level 4?
Jump range: 4
Guns: 3
Missiles: 6-8
Turrets: 1 port, 1 starboard
Note: The Hydra is probably closest to the Raptor, but is a little slower (as are all civilian ships vs. Confed ships). It has one less forward gun, but makes up for that with the turrets.

Phalanx:
Speed: 450 k/s
Afterburner: 1000 k/s
Maneuverability: 100/100/100 d/s?
Shields: max Level 3 (12.0/12.0 cm)?
Armor: 8.0/8.0/8.0/8.0 cm, one upgrade?
Reactor: max Level 3?
Jump range: 4
Guns: 4
Missiles: 6-8
Note: With high speed and maneuverability, four guns but only moderate shields and armor, the Phalanx seems to be like the little brother of the Confederation's new Rapier II.

Thanks. I'm just trying to feed my Privateer / Pioneer addiction. I've been laying Privateer recently drooling over the possibilities of Pioneer...

And I know Origin made the game the way they did for a reason, but that was the one thing I don't agree with. Perhaps it's only because I've been playing the remake, and the Centurion seems so underpowered to what I remember, and more shields would make up for that a bit.

Those seem pretty accurate to the specs we have floating around. ( things like the Hunchback being able to turn faster up/down, rather than left/right - and has an incredibly slow roll rate, are more design/feel things than anything you could determine from the models) Keep in mind that there is only one set of player-flyable specs that we know won't change - the Tarsus. Those are canon, and cannot be changed. They're also acting as our baseline for all the other ships. All of the other ships are completely open for modifications based on the actual playtesting results (This ship is too slow for what it should be, needs one fewer missile, etc) If we have a canon set of stats for the ship in question (IE, Krant, Scimitar, Dorkir, Ralari, whatever) then we are going to use those. In any luck they will snap together quite well.

As for the modification/upgrades question, Origin did indeed have a great reason for doing it as they did. Several, in fact. By their very nature, cargo haulers have more interior space, as such, they can logically hold bgiger shield generators. This is also important in a gameplay sense - a fighter is fast, and as such can avoid much of the firepower directed at it. A Cargo ship doesn't have that luxury. It needs the stronger shields to offset the lack of mobility.
We also don't want to give the player flying the Phalanx a ridiculous advantage over the poor bloke flying, say, a Hydra. There needs to be a balance, and giving the fighters the strongest shields and generators in the game isn't the way to do it.
Hope this explains our thinking.

Howard Day said:
Those seem pretty accurate to the specs we have floating around. ( things like the Hunchback being able to turn faster up/down, rather than left/right - and has an incredibly slow roll rate, are more design/feel things than anything you could determine from the models)

Hmm then perhaps something more like 50 yaw/70 pitch/30 roll?

Keep in mind that there is only one set of player-flyable specs that we know won't change - the Tarsus. Those are canon, and cannot be changed. They're also acting as our baseline for all the other ships.

That is pretty much what I assumed as well--the Tarsus specs from Privateer would be retained (besides the missile mounts). From that assumption I went with the Hunchback having less speed and armor, the Camel having more shields and armor, the Hydra having the heaviest shields and armor, and the Phalanx having fairly low shields and armor (better than the Hunchback but much less than the Hydra).

BattleFate said:
And I know Origin made the game the way they did for a reason, but that was the one thing I don't agree with. Perhaps it's only because I've been playing the remake, and the Centurion seems so underpowered to what I remember, and more shields would make up for that a bit.

Well, that's the problem right there. Very little in that game feels right. Note that the Centurion did get Level 4 shields/armor in Righteous Fire. I have no idea if the Privateer Remake accurately reflects this.

ChrisReid said:
Well, that's the problem right there. Very little in that game feels right. Note that the Centurion did get Level 4 shields/armor in Righteous Fire. I have no idea if the Privateer Remake accurately reflects this.
There have been a fair number of comments about both the remake and Gemini Gold stating that they feel the Centurion does not match up to it's "original" counterpart.

Don't get me wrong, I love the games, they are my chance to play Privateer when I wouldn't be able to. And they are built fairly well. But they don't quite feel like the original. Oh well... I'll just have to deal with iut for a while. :cool:

There is no reason to be unable to play the original privateer these days. You don't have to settle for a half-assed(remake, not Gold) attempt to rape the game for personal gain. Just get a copy of the orignal off of ebay and then you can play it with DosBox.

Halman said:
There is no reason to be unable to play the original privateer these days. You don't have to settle for a half-assed(remake, not Gold) attempt to rape the game for personal gain. Just get a copy of the orignal off of ebay and then you can play it with DosBox.
Though I never looked on ebay (my bad, I forgot about that resource) I always look in the "classics" bin at my local software stores. I remember once years ago Privateer was there and I didn't buy it. I went back the next week to purchase it, and it was gone. I have not seen it since.

I'll check ebay soon though.

Privateer is the bst Wing Commander

I have and beaten numerous time all Wing Commanders. Yes friends, I said all Wing Commanders. The movie was a huge letdown and a serious blow to all Wing Commander nutz out there. I have spoke with the creators of the movie and Convinced them to Speak with actors who played Luke Skywalker and Wedge Antilles and the y have agreed that they will work with those imortal actors who made ScFi Star Wars & Wing Commander(Except for our good friend Wedge Antilleds) legendary.

To clear up all misguide ideas about which is the greatest craft

There seems to be alot of questions fying around as to which is the best Wing Commander Craft. I will say this as subtly as I can possible make it. The best all time fighter award goes to, hands down, The Centurion. Now, if you want to be a fat rear merchant, the Galaxy wins hands down. The swcond place winner is of course the fighter I has fondly dubbed the parasit. Those of you diehard Wind Commander nutz know which fighter I'm talking about. It is the on that is very small and resembles a flying missle.

Centurion82 said:
I have and beaten numerous time all Wing Commanders. Yes friends, I said all Wing Commanders. The movie was a huge letdown and a serious blow to all Wing Commander nutz out there. I have spoke with the creators of the movie and Convinced them to Speak with actors who played Luke Skywalker and Wedge Antilles and the y have agreed that they will work with those imortal actors who made ScFi Star Wars & Wing Commander(Except for our good friend Wedge Antilleds) legendary.

I like how he thinks beating the Wing Commander Games some amazing life achievement. The Movie thing was pretty funny too.

Militias need capital ships in much the same way as police officers need guided missile cruisers. -LOAF

HAHAHA Thats awesome.. It kills me :D

Meh, the militias may not need full destroyers and carriers, but they are going to need inflight refueling/rearming capabilities and SAR, so I could see them having a few Drayman carrier conversions like the sort that they player can get in Pioneer, and the odd corvette or two. No Exeters or Rangers, though--only Confed and the FRLN should have anything even close to that that.

Ijuin said:
Meh, the militias may not need full destroyers and carriers, but they are going to need inflight refueling/rearming capabilities and SAR, so I could see them having a few Drayman carrier conversions like the sort that they player can get in Pioneer, and the odd corvette or two. No Exeters or Rangers, though--only Confed and the FRLN should have anything even close to that that.
Why would they need refuels inflight exactly? Couldn't they just dock at a nearby station?

Back