Quality Assurance Version 1.0

"My intro movie runs way faster than 1 FPS."
As far as i know It hardly depends on the system speed.

"And what are the bad effects of this? it harms nothing. In fact, it is rather useful. Autopilot does not always face your ship in the right direction (for whatever reason) so it is nice to be able to press it again to orient yourself."
So you should fix it so that it always faces your ship in the right direction and deactivates when it brought you to the selected target. It simply switches off like any autopilot, it's more a logical issue how the ship systems should function and in the original it was like i'm suggesting for some reason ;)

if it's idempotent it really doesn't matter that you can activate it more than once or if it completes fullly the first time.

it's the same thing with writes or reads on NFS
you can write the same block again if the server's ack packet got lost...
same with the autopilot...
I don't see a reason to change it--you get plenty of feedback, and I would hate to eliminate the chance for a second autopilot...why?

Combat Sounds
Today the distance to a group of fighting ships was 38000 and i've heard the gun and missile sounds like they were right behind me, is there any way to fade them out when the distance increases?

Loading of Savegames
Everytime you load a savegame the "You have died" writing appears with the cockpit of the ship you were just flying till the savegame finally pops up. What about a loading screen or a black background with the writing in the middle "Loading" instead? I could come up with an image...

John Cordell said:
Combat Sounds
Today the distance to a group of fighting ships was 38000 and i've heard the gun and missile sounds like they were right behind me, is there any way to fade them out when the distance increases?
Fiddle with the gain values in the config file.

It is a bit confusing isn't it :D In fact, after checking, the variable you want is actually "volume". As strange as it seems, that is the one that controls how fast sound fades out.

@MamiyaOtaru Evasive maneuvers

@MamiyaOtaru Evasive maneuvers
I am not complaining that Talons difficult to hit when flying evasive-maneuver (when demaged)
I simply state that it is IMPOSSIBLE with the best aim to hit thim unless you do a spreadfire and hit by chance. They just change direction too fast and the gunbolts are way too slow and you cant close in because the afterburner eats your energy.
(it requires more power than the original privateer does it ? )
Thats simply bad design when something is nearly impossible to hit. At least in moderate or relaxing gameplay.
And yes Talons actuall DO these maneuver in relaxing gameplay not only military ships or milita ships. Pirates and retros sure do it too.
Please also consider shifting the difficulty level depending on the players current equipment as well as the original privateer did. (exlcuding the barrel roll)
I will try to edit the ai but i dont expect sucess too soon -final exams and internship :)

Best regards maniac23

-On easier modes, civilians do not emply the barrel roll as an evasive maneuver -(-though the military does), they only evade side to side or up and down. -Granted, that is still harder to hit than when they play sitting duck and don't -evade at all (and the military is always hard to hit.)

-So you can take Hellcat's advice and try replacing all "evade up down", "evade -left right" and "barrel roll" with "turn away" in the ai or ai.easy directory -(depending on your difficulty level).

hmm some other little things :

The game sometimes starts in space .. so you'll have to fly to a base to load your game ...

and a few times I got a contraband search without any police(?) ships nearby..

It is a bit confusing isn't it :D In fact, after checking, the variable you want is actually "volume". As strange as it seems, that is the one that controls how fast sound fades out.
Can you paste it in here?

I'm still having so much trouble in Oxford it's not even realistic..for that mission where you have to save the shipment of books... some 30 hunters! against me and my 3-5 wingmen. Is this supposed to be right?

The hud lines ( locking etc.) shouldn't be drawn in outer views..
and maybe be restricted to (a part of) the windscreen

the volume variable is in vegastrike.config
you can adjust it so adjust how much the sounds fade out when something is farther away

oddly enough it appears to be system dependent with openAL

we have SB Live! cards and it fades out quite nicely here...
you might need to adjust it

<var name="Volume" value="80"/>

change it to 10 and see if it suits you

the code is there already Aries...and fmod is a nonfree lib... i.e. it's not an open source library---we actually have code for using fmod and we got rid of it, preferring the *hardware accelerated* OpenAL...which does sound fading automatically...
it's a bit *hardware* dependent right now... changing vegastrike.config to have var name="Volume" value="20" seems to fix it for some windows (and even linux) computers...not sure what changes in the drivers prompted these value tweaks

explosions are always loud...as for armor--that should fade out too

hellcatv said:
the code is there already Aries...and fmod is a nonfree lib... i.e. it's not an open source library---we actually have code for using fmod and we got rid of it, preferring the *hardware accelerated* OpenAL...which does sound fading automatically...
it's a bit *hardware* dependent right now... changing vegastrike.config to have var name="Volume" value="20" seems to fix it for some windows (and even linux) computers...not sure what changes in the drivers prompted these value tweaks

explosions are always loud...as for armor--that should fade out too

Fmod nonfree ??
I have some freeware libs that incorporate Fmod so I thought is was free ..

but it's not open source...there's a difference.
besides... OpenAL has more capabilities than fmod on top of being open source

Fmod can be used for free (in the sense of not paying anything) but it is not free in the sense of open.

Anyway, the code is already there to have sounds fade out. In fact several months ago, we had the opposite problem: we couldn't hear other ships fire at all, which is why the volume variable was kicked up. It's just a matter of finding the right balance, which seems to vary somewhat from computer to computer, though I wonder how much of it is personal preference. But that's why the variables are there.

Missing Sounds
Hellcat, just send you over a few still missing sounds especially for the tracor beam process and empty the ships cargo room.

Gothri
Doesn't use his rear turret?

Back