Prophecy

I didn't have a problem with it. I find that a lot of people who were fans since the original games (like myself) don't have as much of an attachment to Blair - we fell in love with blasting cats as {Firstname} "Callsign" {Lastname}... and the idea that the player character got a name and (eventually) history never sat entirely right with us. One of the really fun things about the original games was that they left "you" as a complete blank - you could imagine Ben "Bandit" Lesnick talking to the other pilots and saving the Vega Sector.

(Even Wing 2, which by necessity of story involved a bit more of 'player character', was written in a way that made 'you' fairly indistinguishable -- everything "Blair" did in WC2 was the sort of thing you could see yourself doing in response to the same situations.)

I play WC since WC1, and I still got attached to Blair. It was strange at first to have the whole name thing for the firstname lastname AKA callsign, but Blair did become ended up being a good charachter.

Even on WC3 we still got to pick Blair’s callsign.

Well, it's a little odd for him to end outside the cockpit, but it was done in an interesting "he can come back even if he probably won't" way.

Sucks ass that they killed him though (although the possibility remains he's just on the bug side of that worm hole - would like to see that. Characters like him and Kirk should never be killed).

Sucks even more so that the series died after that. That was one of the best games ever made and possibly the best of the series (been playing since WC1 first came out too - lost count of how many times I've played each, and I play them all the way through from 1 to Prophecy every so often. Also, like LOAF said, I liked the idea of using a name of my own choosing. To this day, after all the stuff that has come out and all the "branding" they have done for Blair, I still use my the name I first used for WC1, when I play 1 and 2, and even use the call sign when I "log on" to the main terminal in 3. :D ).

Would really have been nice to see more of how Casey would grow as a character. But now that almost has to dead end because it was FMV, and without getting the actor back (which also goes for Maniac too) there's no way to really do it justice (look at the movie. lol don't mean to offend any movie fans here, but I hated it because of it's disparity). And unless a miracle happens, any further adventures in WC are going to be fan made, which means no money for actors like that. :(

the thing i did not like was that you could not import your character from WC2SO2 into WC3...

then again, your medals and other decorations were already lost in WC2...

I do not remember that you could import such files *tries to find WC3 and Stops*
Wait do you mean WC1SM2 into WC2 Which I still dont remember

powell99 said:
I do not remember that you could import such files *tries to find WC3 and Stops*
Wait do you mean WC1SM2 into WC2 Which I still dont remember

Yeah, you could import any WC1 save file (from any point of WC1 or SM1 or SM2 - IIRC) into WC2.

Was nice to have it carry over your kill and sotie count. Have to keep track of it manually to add in WC3 and 4. :/

But that board starts from zero, so it doesn't help you if you want your total, from 1 all the way through the end of 4, is what I was saying. ;) (and the WC3 board doesn't list sorties either, only kills and aces)

I didn't like WCP as much for the lack of Kilrathi. Still a gread game tho.

Yes, there is only a certain amount of 'bug' jokes that can be made...And it was harder to make comparisons between Confed and Bug ships, as both their technologies didn't develop together, as did Confed and the Kilrathi. For example, I'm not too sure if the Bugs had any Heat Seeking missiles...All the Dralthi had in WCP were HS, so you knew that if a missile was fired, all you had to do was turn around and not need to waste a decoy...but didn't really know if that was possible with the Bugs.

i like prohecy, only the movies are anoying because you are a 2nd lt and everyone pisses on you. besides the fact, the game rocks

I didn't like Prophecy as much because the villains were so weak and stereotypical. The Kilrathi actually had culture and personality. WC IV dealt with the abscence of the Kilrathi in a clever way with its rather dark plot, but Prophecy just felt off for some reason. The acting reminded me of a soap opera, though Tom Wilson as Maniac is always good for a laugh. It's interesting to see Mark Hamill as a bitter Blair too.

I liked that you were a different person in Prophecy. It just would've seemed awkward to be Blair again. He had a good ending in WC4 no matter what path you went down. And so I even thought it was weird to see him in Prophecy at all. Though it was kind of cool anyway.

That's why I was hoping so bad for a WC6 and have Casey and Maestro in it cause I thought they were a good pair.

StarLight said:
Yes, there is only a certain amount of 'bug' jokes that can be made...And it was harder to make comparisons between Confed and Bug ships, as both their technologies didn't develop together, as did Confed and the Kilrathi. For example, I'm not too sure if the Bugs had any Heat Seeking missiles...All the Dralthi had in WCP were HS, so you knew that if a missile was fired, all you had to do was turn around and not need to waste a decoy...but didn't really know if that was possible with the Bugs.

Surely that was the whole point of the game? - its a new enemy - nobody knows anything about them, so you had to be the first contact of this new alien race and learn about their culture, history, flying techniques?

If this was real, you'd be going through the same thoughts - you'll be wondering if you could turn around on a HS missile and not waste a decoy. Granted, you probably wouldn't be tempted to try it out (unlike in the game, where its a simple reload and start again)!

Perhaps, should they make a WCP2 or something, we'll start to get more historical background on our new enemy?

My thoughts on the WC series:
WC1 - when you went into the game, it felt like you were a newbie and you were caught up in a war that had gone on for ages.
WC2 - was just an extension of WC1 for me
WC3 - was ok, but as it was the end of the Kirathi war, it felt too final. Sure, you ended the war, but then what next?
WC4 - this didn't feel like Wing Commander to me. It was nothing more than "Top Gun" set in space. The best human.
WCP - you're a newbie again and this time, you're at the start (potentially) of another age-defying battle against an alien race. Also, it came in on the crest of 3D graphics (I know, I'm a sucker for eye-candy :( )

I think out of the whole Wing Commander universe, the games I liked the most were WC1 and WCP. Probably WC1 more - because I was actually scared of Halycon whenever I screwed a mission up. The CAG in WCP didn't really scare me that much.

Precisely, when we started playing WC1 (then known only as Wing Commander;)), we knew very little about everything... all we had was the Claw Marks and what little info we screpped from dialogues and cutscenes. The kats were hardly a well developed fictional civilization... And we loved it anyway.

I know it's hard to let go of particular heroes and situations in the modern mythologies we like so bad, but it's part of the show. People still whine about kirk and picard and so on and so forth. This kind of transition is necessary to breath in new life into the franchises, else people start complaining about "how long will the milk XYZ???". Well, people ALWAYS complain.

I remember stumbling across Prophecy at a Computer City store in Orlando, not knowing that a new WC game had been released. I was pretty stoked and I bought it without hesitation. I hadn't played anything WC in probably 2 years or more. I lucked out and got the Gold version with no knowledge that a prior release had been offered.

Yeah Edfilho, you're right about letting go of heroes. I believe most folks understand things have to change, that time moves on, but that doesn't make them any more inclined to accept said changes. I was a bit surprised (maybe even disappointed) to see Casey sort of in the role of a Blairesque-type character in Prophecy. And I missed the Kilrathi. The bugs didn't do it all that much for me, though in all I'd have to say Prophecy was indeed a pretty good game.

Back