Prophecy Music

armyof1ne

Captain
Heya all,, this is my first post in here, i have been watching here for over a year now, but never got into the forum idea,, anyways, does any of you guys still listen to the Prophecy music at all,,, i think it still is awesome, I play like all my games to it, its so sweet, PLZ there must be someone more uber nerdy than me,

Well, if you use the term "uber nerdy" in general conversation, you'll have a hard time finding a bigger one than yourself. Are you referring to the orchestral music or the cobalt-60 tracks? I much prefer the Oldziey stuff overall, though the techno soundtrack did fit Secret Ops quite well.

Welcome to the forums anyhow.

I don't like the cobalt-60 tracks much in Secret Ops either. It's too loud. Not very ambiant. But the tracks from Prophecy are very well done. It provides a great mood setting for the game. Like it still reminds me of the music from the previous WC games, but compliments the new look and feel of the game.

Shipgate said:
I don't like the cobalt-60 tracks much in Secret Ops either.

Except I said they worked great in Secret Ops. That game has a very different tone than Prophecy. You're a small quick strike team running around rocking up lots of bugs. I think the music fits well and it's a good change from the music we get in every other game.

I think it's a matter of personal taste, i dislike house/techno or whatever label you pin on it, so i can not give any positive comments on those tracks. I just turn them
off or switch to orchestral soundtracks.

however a metal-based soundtrack would get dislikes from other users, so i'd say
an orchestral soundtrack was and is the way to go.

as for looking for the music, wasn't there an official soundtrack?

I agree that also techno/house are also not my cup of Vak'qu.

As Metal reaches at least some musical quality and is mostly based on (electric) guitars, could it be considered. Try some Primordial to know that Metal could go well as soundtrack, or even some "progressive" rock, like the Toto-soundtrack of David Lynch's interpretation of Dune. But I agree, the symphonic orchestrated tunes fit better for an ambient suite or soundtrack score, more suggestive (scrypted to events) and subtle (complex but not annoying/diverting to the player).

Edit: As I had seen, that you didn't compare Metal with techno/house... sry.

I much prefered Oldziey's symphonic variations then the techno beat of Cobalt 60. I'm certain that's just a personal opinion though. Still think WC 1 and 2 had some of the best sound tracks. :) And for sheer eeriness, its hard to beat Privateer's tracks. :)

I never played or heard the music from Special Ops, so I can't really contribute to that aspect. BUT I can say that I am a VERY big fan of all that is techno-dance and House music. So as long as we are professing our in-game music tastes, let me raise my hand and say "I am a Techno/House WC fan" :) In my opinion, nothing gets your heart pumping more than a good mix while dogfighting a couple of cats.

Shipgate said:
I don't like the cobalt-60 tracks much in Secret Ops either.QUOTE]
Well, I play Multiple kinda of games, mostly fps. So i like the secret ops tracks alot, its fast paced music for kinda fast paced gameplay, anyways I really like the orchestral tracks too,,

LeHah said:
Oh God, I can't believe you said that.

Sorry, beside of that what you could mean (really you can't believe it, by swearing to your God? :p ), my proclamation is truly insignificant to you, it was only a self-explaining idiom. Because of my perplexity (I have no air conditioning system in my sleeping room, therefore I haven't slept since awhile, it's unusually damn hot in Germany now), I add an unnecessary also.

It has nothing to do with grammar and everything to do with being silly :)

well WCP soundtrack was made by varios artist, German, adn other countries, but most of the tracks of that CD are not on the game, BYW IIRC Cobal 60 lead singer is the same of Front 242

I still listen to the Wing Commander: Prophecy CD every once in a while. The music on it doesn't really go well with what I'm doing most of the time, which is either walking to and from class, or working in the library (for the library, I suggest the Driv3r soundtrack, or The Police "Ghost in the Machine"). But when I'm playing video games (not necessarily Wing Commander), it goes pretty well, especially with Crimson Skies.

thank you for the link, i never knew rammstein's eifersucht was in it, and i saw them perform last saturday...

maybe i'll play through prophecy again....

Mace said:
thank you for the link, i never knew rammstein's eifersucht was in it

The majority of whats on the disc is not in the game.

Only two of the tracks on the Prophecy OST are actually from the game: "Prophecy (TerminalMix)" and "Darwin Was Right". Three others were ostensibly 'inspired by' Prophecy (which is to say they were exclusive to the CD): The Awakening (Das Ich), The Vampire Strikes Back (Die Krupps) and Gravitation Zero (Project Pitchfork). The other tracks are all filler.

There are actually three other CDs with Cobalt 60's Prophecy music on them.

One was called 'Wing Commander Prophecy ClubMixes', which was for (presumably German) DJs. It had three mixes of the Prophecy theme (TerminalMix, ElektrohMix and BtkMix) and a track that wasn't on the OST, "Galactic Hives".

There was also a CD single included with the special edition of Prophecy, which had Prophecy (TerminalMix) on it.

Finally, the first pressing of Cobalt 60's album, Twelve, included a bonus CD with three Prophecy tracks: TerminalMix, Darwin Was Right and Galactic Hives. (It also had a fourth track, "It Is Not", which wasn't in the game).

Actually, three of the orchestral tracks from Prophecy are on George Oldziey's "Music from the Wing Commander Universe" CD -- Fight to the Finish, Mission to Alien Space and Intense Combat.

Back