Problems? Post them here...

playing with just 2x AntiA and 2x Filtering, as well as limiting viewing distances to half the slider fixed those random crashes for now. On the other hand, if the slider is there, I want to take advantage of it and my PC runs Crysis & Co like a charm. Please fix those issues.

And at the same time. We've heard your complaint repeatedly. You've posted it repeatedly. We are working on it. Again, all of us have lives outside of Standoff and have put quite a bit of them on hold trying to fix these problems. If we could devote 24/7 to Standoff we would, but we can't...the real world demands our attention too.

Hey first of all, let me say standoff looks amazing...even if i haven't managed to get it to work with all the graphical improvements yet. I got an ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series, and if I try to activate the improvements all i get is a black screen. Even with all the improvements of the radar dots all appear as gray for some reason...and yes, I installed the standoff update.

Nevertheless, my sincere congratulations to all those involved. It is one amazing piece of work.

playing with just 2x AntiA and 2x Filtering, as well as limiting viewing distances to half the slider fixed those random crashes for now. On the other hand, if the slider is there, I want to take advantage of it and my PC runs Crysis & Co like a charm. Please fix those issues.

I'd like to add a bit to this topic. During the development of the new OpenGL shaders effects (Enhanced Lighting and HDR), Alex already warned us that the crazy values we permitted for antialiasing and viewing distances would either make the game unplayable or crash the game because of the extreme stress it puts on the video card and CPU. He even strongly suggested we lower the maximum values for each of the options to make sure people wouldn't complain that maxed out values don't work. We choose to leave the option there, because we wanted people four years from now with future hardware to be able to run to slightly higher values. As a mea culpae, I'd say I should have added some warning in the option menu when selecting values that may be excessive, I admit. This will be done in the vext version.

Why exactly did Standoff worked great with all values maxed out back in Episode 4 and now it doesn't in Episode 5 ? Because you enabled the two new shaders features; if you left Enhanced Lighting and HDR disabled it'd still work as it did (and even better) in our old Episode 4 release.

Why should the antialising and viewing distance values should be lower when Enhanced Lighing and HDR are enabled ? There are two reasons for this: First, it requires lots more of data crunching. I am not kidding. For example, enabling HDR means that not only the system have to compute more fancy effects, but also that every single pixel to be drawn on screen uses twice the data bandwidth than before, each RGB colour channel being 16 bits in HDR instead of the usual 8 bits. The second reason is, like Quarto said, that we're making an old engine doing stuff that it wasn't designed to do. Back in 1996 when 3D cards were a novelty, the WCP programmers had the CPU do all the work, then pass the polygons to be rendered one by one to the rendering dll. To be able to process those great new visual effects, modern games have the engine pass the polygons by batches of the thousand, then do their tricks. That makes a huge difference. Since we can't recompile the old engine to suit our needs, Alex had to work really hard to make it work with a decent framerate.

Now, regardless of all of the above, the most important question is: is it such a big deal if you can't max your options ? The answer is, in my opinion, no.

The ship visibility distance slider determine the distance after which a ship stops being rendered. With the middle value, most capship will already look like a small dot on screen before disapearing; that means that the renderer crunches data and renders thousands of polygons to display a simple dot. Is it worth cranking it higher ? You most likely won't see the difference.

The antialising options make the game prettier by removing the jaggies; but my personal experience with Standoff tells me that there is not a huge difference between 2x and 4x FSAA, and that I can't even see the difference between 4x and 8x. As for anisotropy, I can't see any difference going over 2x.

So the bottom line is: you don't really need maxed options to enjoy the game and not even to get all the eye candy; we could have as well lowered the max settings. You're not missing anything running the game with visibility distances at medium values and 2x antialiasing values. (And yes, we're still trying to see if we can prevent the crashes when your hardware can't keep up with all the hacked rendering we're doing).

Again, all of us have lives outside of Standoff and have put quite a bit of them on hold trying to fix these problems. If we could devote 24/7 to Standoff we would, but we can't...the real world demands our attention too.
I'd love to work on Wing Commander professionally, too :D

Hey first of all, let me say standoff looks amazing...even if i haven't managed to get it to work with all the graphical improvements yet. I got an ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series, and if I try to activate the improvements all i get is a black screen.
We have a new version of the OpenGL renderer currently tested, which we hope will solve the ATI issues for most users. It'll be released soon, in the next two days if all goes well.

I'd love to work on Wing Commander professionally, too :D

Oh of course that's totally different...then money would also be involved in a labor of love...but for now...I've yet to figure out how to materialize food on my table or gas in my car :p

But we still keep working on it...well except for me this week...my testing machine is currently 1,500 miles away until this weekend.

Oh of course that's totally different...then money would also be involved in a labor of love...but for now...I've yet to figure out how to materialize food on my table or gas in my car :p

But we still keep working on it...well except for me this week...my testing machine is currently 1,500 miles away until this weekend.

The current American problem of food and gas... its murder...

We have a new version of the OpenGL renderer currently tested, which we hope will solve the ATI issues for most users. It'll be released soon, in the next two days if all goes well.

I'm currently running an onboard laptop ATI Radeon HD 3200 and playing the game in Direct3D (Legacy) Mode. I'm just wondering if I should hold out for the new OpenGL renderer, or if I should just realize that my Graphics Card sucks.

Regardless, Standoff is fantastic! Thank you for all of the hard work.

I'm currently running an onboard laptop ATI Radeon HD 3200 and playing the game in Direct3D (Legacy) Mode. I'm just wondering if I should hold out for the new OpenGL renderer, or if I should just realize that my Graphics Card sucks.
Have you tried OpenGL without enabling Enhanced Lighting and HDR ? It should work, and look much better than D3D.

Have you tried OpenGL without enabling Enhanced Lighting and HDR ? It should work, and look much better than D3D.

I've gotten it to run in OpenGL. However, I've turned off everything (including Antialiasing and Max Anisotropy), reduced the Z Buffer to 16 and even dropped the ship and asteroid view distance... and it still runs like it has Tourette Syndrome.

Hey - I'm now running Standoff off my laptop, which has one of those Intel integrated chips. I disabled enhanced lighting and HDR, and turned the settings down. The game works just fine while I'm playing it, but once I quit, I can't get the launcher to appear again nor can I get the task manager to come up without restarting. Anyone know of a reason why this may happen?

Do you see a black screen on quit/launch?

I'm guessing you are using task manager to see if Standoff.exe or Standoff Launcher.exe is running and it won't show up...is the screen black at this point?

Are you running 1.25 or 1.26?

I have seen this happen. It's because some of the OpenGL stuff didn't get along with Intel sets. In 1.27 (coming soon) it should be ok.

I'm running 1.26. I get a black screen initially with launch that eventually goes through to the game. After I quit, I get to my desktop just fine but I can't get task manager to come up, can't get the launcher to come up again and I have to force-shut off my computer - using the buttons on the start menu doesn't work.

Ahhh yes, that will happen. I'm pretty sure it is fixed in 1.27. Last week Alex and I spent quite a while trying to get these damn Intel sets to play nice...but it's tough. It was worse before where the Intel sets would cause the entire machine to go basically dead. The cursor moved but nothing else responded in any way.

My suggestion is to wait for 1.27 then see if it happens then...if it does I'll BZ it and we can test some other workarounds...hopefully.

I restarted the whole campaign and was watching the prologue intro (game engine cutscene). I only hear the first two lines of Bradshaw's voiceovers. The rest was just text.

I don't recall that happening before, although I remember the voiceovers during briefings being cut after the first few lines as well.

Tried the Fix movie skipping switch and it didn't make a difference.

Not sure what's wrong with my setup?

That's definitely the first time I've seen anyone encounter something like that... the game does sometimes get picky about playing sounds, which affected especially the briefings. We were able to fix it there by adjusting the timing of the voiceovers in some places...

...I don't see what the issue could be here, though. It works for everyone else. Could this problem be related to your computer, somehow?

I managed to fix that problem by shutting down audio acceleration on dxdiag. No big deal. In terms of the memory leak, during my complete playthrough I'm averaging 2-3 flights per crash back to the desktop. Everything else seems great so far!

I got the usual crash with enhanced lighting enabled (no HDR) on the second mission of episode 5A while playing the crossbow; however, when I restarted the game and got into half-in again (also crossbow) the game didn't crash to desktop like usual. It actually stopped responding and my graphics card shut down (or something like that) and had to be reinitialized by my computer (this was down automatically however my mouse stopped working - keyboard commands worked fine). I have never seen that pop-up message before (running vista 64) and only saw the message at a glance, so I can't tell what it said specifically.

Settings:
GTX 285 card
1600x1200 with enhanced starfields
everything maxed out unless indicated above
using 1.28 Standoff Version

What is weird about this is that I could play the missions without trouble under maxed setting with HDR and Enh Lighting off, now it crashes.

First, could you please describe the mission you're having this crash in, and the point where you get the crash a bit more ? I'd like to make sure it isn't a mission-related problem.

BTW, there isn't much benefit to max out the antialiasing and viewing distance values and disabling EL and HDR; Antialiasing over 2x is barely perceptible in Standoff and having tons of polygons displayed at crazy distances that looks like a single dot on screen is much more costly on your GPU than enabling Enhanced Lighting. I strongly suggest you hit "Restore defaults" in the options menu and give it a try; it'll look much better and shouldn't be more crash-prone... perhaps less.

Back