Problems? Post them here...

Hmm. Weird. At every navpoint, the rudder seems to reverse itself, and I have to go to the options to switch "reversed rudder" off and on to fix it.

Also, is it possible to program in a "ignore my target" command? I've been trying to tell them to attack another target and switch to a new one, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've been shot down by my wingmen too many times already - and they get shot down more often as well if they go after the same target as I and leave kitties to their six to blast them down.

Also, is it possible to program in a "ignore my target" command? I've been trying to tell them to attack another target and switch to a new one, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've been shot down by my wingmen too many times already - and they get shot down more often as well if they go after the same target as I and leave kitties to their six to blast them down.
Heh, I do wish it were possible. As it is, all you can do is tell your wingmen to form on your wing. But this won't help you much, because usually, most of the friendly fighters are not your wingmen, so they won't obey your commands anyway.

The only other bug I have is that I just beat the final mission in Ep 5- and when I try to "talk to everyone" the game kicks me out. I got one error message the first time the crash happened saying something along the lines of "insufficient storage space," but now it just kicks me to the desktop without giving the same message- pretty sure it's not a lack of storage space (I have dozens of gigs of harddrive space open) as far as my hard drive goes).
We're testing a fix for that one right now. It worked for me at least, so it's probable that the next patch will correct this issue.

I've only had three real problems- and thankfully, one of them (the random in mission memory crash bug) seems to have gone away by switching my nvidia 8600 GT's settings to "Extension Limit On"
Note that this should in effect disable "Enhanced Lighting" and HDR.

The only other bug I have is that I just beat the final mission in Ep 5- and when I try to "talk to everyone" the game kicks me out. [...] Any suggestions on fixes?
Yeah, look at this thread for a workaround before the patch comes out.

I can confirm that turning the extension limit on stopped the crashes, at least with HDR and enhanced lighting off. Gonna try with them on now.

Edit: Hmm, maybe it does disable them, but it did crash with those options off before I turned the extension limit on.

It seems to be working solidly with HDR and lighting on, even though turning on the extension limit might disable them. Thanks to Spertallica!

One oddity more, though: how can I cycle through nav points? N and P make the "sounds" they are supposed to, but nav points don't change. I'm trying to bag a certain optional bonus convoy, but it's rather hard...

Yep, N only makes your current destination show up in the HUD.

If we could change the way selecting navmap targets work, we'd certainly try to make it more obvious, but I don't think it's something we've managed to crack into.

One thing about that nav I've never figured out (or I've forgotten): how do I click the nav point when there's fifty ships on top of it?

Game kept crashing when I tried to watch the epilogues. Then I noticed changing difficulty level before "talk to..." helped (sometimes). If I have Nightmare on, it always crashes when I try to watch ending. Rookie or Veteran (or maybe it's just changing) seem to work better.

Is there a difference between "it's a long way to Kilrah" and "next year in Kilrah" cause either I'm getting same cutscene on both or I've haven't been able to see one of them. Also, I think they both appeared to history when I finished the game first time?!

Also for some reason Nightmare seems to crash the game more often. Of course this could be just ships being slower to kill and therefore more ships around longer, but I haven't been able to finish "Fleet Action" (half the time I die or lose carrier, half it crashes) and it hasn't so far crashed on Rookie. Seriously that mission crashed 10 out of 20 attempts when I lived long enough; in no particular point, random crash.

Just wondering if there's something wrong with the top difficulty.

Is there a difference between "it's a long way to Kilrah" and "next year in Kilrah" cause either I'm getting same cutscene on both or I've haven't been able to see one of them.
They're different, but the differences aren't huge - the scenes are more or less the same in terms of visuals (except for the shot of the Confed fleet), but the dialogues are somewhat different.

Also, I think they both appeared to history when I finished the game first time?!
No, that definitely wouldn't happen.

Just wondering if there's something wrong with the top difficulty.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the top difficulty - but it may be that the increased AI activity (more missiles being fired, stuff exploding more often, etc.) affects the crashes.

I want to stress again (ATI) that there is NNNNNOOOOO lighting whatsoever in engine cutscenes (all of them).
Enchanced Lighting and Starfields are active, HDR is not (because everything is black then). Deactivating Enchanced Lighting fixes the problem.

EDIT: Wait a second, could this actually be buggy shadders instead of buggy lighting?

Correct, Enhanced Lighting is a shader effect like HDR, and many ATI cards have problems with it. You'll have to play without both Enhanced Lighting and HDR until Alex finds a workaround for the non-working ATI cards.

I've gotten some human VDU when a cat dies (with cat scream). And Cougar's ejection comment is apparently spoken by some other pilot too (also heard it in the mission where he's supposedly grounded).
Also I seem to every now and then go through a fighter when I should collide (mostly those drakhai ships, but that may just be the way I fight them more likely to collide).

I've noticed that using 1024 resolution with max ship/rock distance settings crashes less, despite running on a pretty much slowest possible PC.

I've gotten some human VDU when a cat dies (with cat scream). And Cougar's ejection comment is apparently spoken by some other pilot too (also heard it in the mission where he's supposedly grounded).
I've mistaken Cougar for another pilot a few times too - there's definitely no problem with his ejection comment.

As for the VDU thing - as we mentioned in another thread a few days ago, we need your help finding this bug. We need screenshots, so that we can identify who the guilty pilot(s) is (are). It's one of those strange bugs that we'd never seen during testing (although I did see this exact same bug myself, back in Episode 3 - only, it seemed I fixed it for good then).

Also I seem to every now and then go through a fighter when I should collide (mostly those drakhai ships, but that may just be the way I fight them more likely to collide).
Yes, this is mentioned in the FAQ. I should've known nobody would read it ;).

playing with just 2x AntiA and 2x Filtering, as well as limiting viewing distances to half the slider fixed those random crashes for now. On the other hand, if the slider is there, I want to take advantage of it and my PC runs Crysis & Co like a charm. Please fix those issues.

Look, please don't compare us to Crysis :p. Yes, we understand, you have a great machine that runs all the modern games smoothly... but you must realise, getting WCP to run smoothly even with just these features required a huge, huge effort. It's not as simple as "well, AA works smoothly in Crysis, it should work smoothly in Standoff, too".

Modern games are programmed from the ground up to take advantage of every single feature of the current generation of graphics cards. In some cases (Crysis being one of them) Nvidia and Ati actually take the extra effort to reprogram their graphics card drivers just to make sure that the best games run smoothly.

Standoff, on the other hand, has built these features on top of a game engine from 1997. The engine does things completely differently than modern games do - it's optimised to run as fast as possible on graphics cards from 1997, not 2009. For example, it never even occured to the WCP programmers that someone might want to render full-screen effects after the entire frame had been drawn. Alex had to go through a heck of a lot of effort to work around the game's architecture so that things would work smoothly with all these new features. Standoff is not less demanding than Crysis because it's older - it's more demanding, because it's older.

We are doing everything we can to fix the crashes, but you have to bear in mind, it may not be possible. That slider, it's there for you to use if your machine can handle it - but if the game crashes, and you can eliminate the crashes by turning down some of the new features... then for goodness' sake, remember that even if you've only got x2 AA and x2 filtering instead of x16 and x8, that's still incomparable to how the game originally looked.

Back