Problem with Privateer

I only use this line:

device=c:\windows\emm386.exe ram

...and everything works fine (I get the Expanded memory + Upper memory + the games work). It´s worth trying.

Originally posted by Starkey
I only use this line:

device=c:\windows\emm386.exe ram

...and everything works fine (I get the Expanded memory + Upper memory + the games work). It´s worth trying.
Starkey, good idea but P1 can't handle anything over 16MBs. Try this instead
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM
or
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM I=B000-B7FF

I'm thinking that maybe the sound driver doesn't like EMM386.EXE.

jonathan7799,
This line is wrong.
EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF
The RAM is in the wrong spot. It needs to look like this:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF It's very important to get the syntext correct. Thing need to be in the right order. You just can't throw things in any order and inspect it to work. That's why I wrote a config.sys for you. You need to be careful and read what I write very carefully.

Originally posted by Johnl12
Starkey, good idea but P1 can't handle anything over 16MBs. Try this instead

I can´t argue with you on super-advanced DOS configurations (my knowledge ends on the "advanced" level) but I have 40MB of RAM and my Priv1 works fine.

However, DOS is a Microsoft Operating System, so anything can happen... :confused:

Anyway, jonathan7799, follow John´s advice, he knows that stuff better than me.

Starkey, it's not that I know more, it only that I started my career in 1994. Before Win95 so I had to get DOS/Win3.11, Win95/98, NT, Novell, Unix to work together. Believe me since the release of 2000 I do very little DOS. Three years ago I did do a lot of DOS. Scripting is a speciality of mine.

But, if you're working in IT you most likely know as much or even more 2000 then I do. I do have a lot of IT books but I like troubleshooting over administration. Daily administration bores me. I like it when things go boom. You do have good instincts.

Oh well....

I think we'll just have to give up on the old sound system, I think there is an obvious confliction between emm386.exe and wavetsr.com but what it is only the powers that be can know...

I'll just have to get the walkman out and listen to some music some other way...

As for the syntax Johnl, I did do it correctly the first time just that I didn't repeat it correctly when I posted it...

If I ever find the solution, I'll be sure to let everyone know..

Jona

P.S. Can you two stop having a lovers tiff on my posting, please...:)

Originally posted by Johnl12
Starkey, it's not that I know more, it only that I started my career in 1994. Before Win95 so I had to get DOS/Win3.11, Win95/98, NT, Novell, Unix to work together. Believe me since the release of 2000 I do very little DOS. Three years ago I did do a lot of DOS. Scripting is a speciality of mine.

But, if you're working in IT you most likely know as much or even more 2000 then I do. I do have a lot of IT books but I like troubleshooting over administration. Daily administration bores me. I like it when things go boom. You do have good instincts.

Despite those three years, your DOS knowledge is still sharp, I´ve been learning a lot from your posts.

You got it right about the instincts. I never had computer classes. My first computer was a Commodore 64 in 1986 and since then I´ve been learning and working on computers on my own, as a hobby, because I am a lawyer in the first place. So I do not work with IT, I just like to fix some computers between my ambulance chases :D.

Back to our insulting-friend Jona (lovers tiff? you ungrateful %$&*), here´s your new sound card driver:

http://www.aztech.com/driver/sound_pci288.htm

Try it and tell me if it works.

Oh... and you´re welcome. :cool:

Thanks, Starkey. Don't worry about jonathan7799. He doesn't understand that even if we disageed with something we do it respectifully. When I first read his post yesterday I also felt insulted. I also felt a need to reply but decided he wasn't worth it.

Actually, you have more experence than I do. I been a enduser since 1981 but I never work on a PC till 1994 when I went back to school to become a Sys Admin and change my career. I just have a natural ability with IT. It's kind of wierd, I am able to solve problems that guys with twenty plus years more experence can't. They are always teaching me something new or old. I always try to respect the wisement of my seniors.

Back