Problem with Privateer

jonathan7799

Spaceman
This is probably getting boring for you lot, but help out a WC fan eh.

Ok, first got that "ems function calls not responding error", boot disk got rid of that (but I would like to understand what that was all about). But now i've got "error code: D002 - FFFF" "plus, something about stopped by code" (you probably know more than me) when I try and run the game.

System Spec

P2, 300 Mhz
4 Partitions (sorry, bit of a fanatic)
96 Megs 100 Mhz SDRAM (don't like obvious ammounts either)
DVD Cd-rom on q:
Running the game off hard disk (didn't know there was any other way) on c:
installed ye olde speech pack
Graphics (not really important, its dos)

You probaly should also know that I did that line in the config.sys

emm386.exe ram 16384 i=B000 - B7FF (if it of any use to you).

OK, I think thats about all...Oh and its win98, therefore no dos actually, well not a real version anyway (me thinks). Got this to work on an old laptop running win98, of course in dos, but extremly slow, it was a p1, mmx, 64 megs etc....no problem there, just not playable, not sure why, should have handled it with it being such an old game (any ideas on that one as well)...

Thanks for any help guys...

Jona

Privateer only works in DOS, or in in WIN98 DOS reboot, maybe this is the reason for your problems.

Using Dos

No, ahead of you there...

Have been using boot disk, and also have tried using ye olde F8 step by step, to the dos promt, and that's the error I get...

Its either "function call error" (boot disk solves that)

Now its the error code D002 - FFFF

Help

More infor on error

It also says "JEMM unloaded" at the end, the full error is like a table of memory

Original Current Used
Near
Far
High

Like that, then

Error Code: D002 - FFFF
Program halted by code
JEMM unloaded

Any ideas....Anyone....

Getting Closer Now

Ok, I put the line emm386.exe ram 16384 i-B000-B7FF...
But I've notice that after the sound card has been activated (in dos) it kills my EMS memory, hum...Any ideas on how I can stop that from happening...

Is there a better sound driver that I could be using, at the moment its...

c:\windows\system\waveinit.exe /a220 /i5 /d1
c:\windows\system\wavetsr.com

Is there a better way, and why should it stop emm386.exe from working properly..?

Thanks,

Jona

Re: More infor on error

Originally posted by jonathan7799
It also says "JEMM unloaded" at the end, the full error is like a table of memory

Original Current Used
Near
Far
High

Like that, then

Error Code: D002 - FFFF
Program halted by code
JEMM unloaded

Any ideas....Anyone....

mine did the same thing jonathon what i did was put the correct irqs in the sound card installation well i did this and it stopped getting the error so somehow chech your irqs and dma settings for your sound card it should help out

I only regret that I have but one life to give confed,,Loozer>>Hells Kitchen, Vega Sector

Even Closer Now

Ok,

Thanks for the suggestion but after much trial an error I've discovered:

Ok two lines in the autoexec.bat

c:\windows\system\waveinit.exe /a220 /i5 /d1
c:\windows\system\wavetsr.com

If I 'rem' the second line it doesn't mess up the emm386 driver and everything runs, but no sound..Oh dear...

Any way I can't get the sound working, is there a better drive I could be using for the sound or am I stuck with these two...

There must be a way of getting the sound on, or it'll be a bit of a shame if I have to play in silence.

Jona

Please post the full content of your autoexec.bat and config.sys as well as the size of your "largest executable file" (enter ´mem´ in DOS to get this info).

Which sound card do you have?

I´m no expert on sound cards, but I would suggest the following:
1 Find out the make and model of your sound card
2 Go to the manufacturers web site and look for DOS drivers
3 If you draw a blank, send them an e-mail asking about DOS drivers
4 Search the web. WWW.driverguide.com has quite a few. There are other sites also.
5 Post the make and model of your sound card on this site – there may be another Privateer fan out there that has already solved the problem.

As a final and very time consuming possibility, go through ALL the combinations of music/speech/sfx in the privateer install menu. I had to do this because I have a built in sound chip and none of the above possibilities worked. Fair warning:- there are many possible combinations and it takes almost forever with countless crashes and reboots. However the prize is worth it.

Sound Card

Ok, the make and model of my sound card is

Trident Microsystems
and the driver is PCI288...

The files for dos are Waveinit.exe and wavetsr.com

Its the Wavetsr that seems to mess up emm386, but if I rem it problem goes away, but no sound...

I've tried change the IRQ and other stuff, but no joy...

Is there a way around this problem..

Thanks

Jona

Originally posted by Starkey
Please post the full content of your autoexec.bat and config.sys as well as the size of your "largest executable file" (enter ´mem´ in DOS to get this info).

I can help you if you do what I asked (above).

Does your sound card work with other DOS games?

Thanks Starkey

Ok, normally this is the:

Config.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 I=B000-B7FF
FILES=50
BUFFERS=50
DOS=HIGH,UMB
COUNTRY=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

Autoexec.bat
@ECHO OFF
C:\DRIVERS\CHKBOOT.EXE /LASTBOOT /NBROFBOOT /FIRSTUSERBOOT
c:\windows\SYSTEM\WAVEINIT.EXE /s
c:\windows\SYSTEM\WAVETSR.COM
mode con codepage prepare=((850) c:\windows\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb uk,,c:\windows\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
lh c:\Windows\Command\doskey.com

But for the purposes of my little boot disk for Privateer, I've reduced it too: - (wait for it!)

Config.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 FRAME=E000 I=B000-B7FF
DOS=HIGH,UMB

Autoexec.bat
c:\windows\SYSTEM\WAVEINIT.EXE /a220 /i7 /d1
c:\windows\SYSTEM\WAVETSR.COM

And in case anyone wants to know the (/s) on the first autoexec.bat for waveinit.exe stands for "silent" mode.

And as to your question Starkey, I do get sound with my Dos games but most of them I run through windows so that's probably got something to do with it. Its been a long time since I ran something off a bootdisk.

Anyway, thanks for any help and advice...

Jona

Oh and just for giggles, you know I told you that when I load wavetsr.com with my bootdisk that it kills the emm386.exe driver (hence, not allowing privateer to work), well when I load up windows and it of course loads wavetsr.com, when I checked Mem in windows everything ok, ems memory and all...Probably because windows does something about it.

Re: Thanks Starkey

I think your sound drivers are wrong. Your sound card will work in Windows even if you remove its drivers from autoexec and config.

Which sound card do you have? You might be using the wrong DOS drivers. If you can give me the brand and model of your sound card then I can give you the right drivers.

Sound Card

Its a Trident Microsystems PCI288,

That's pretty much all its says..

Legacy Audio
PCI Audio

PCI288

Trid...

Thats about it, any advice...

Trident Microsystems only makes VIDEO boards. That´s probably not your sound board.

Do you know how to open your computer and identify your sound board?

If you haven't done so already...

Right-click on "My Computer" and select the Devices tab. Try looking under "Sound, video and game controllers".

Its an

It's an aztech pci288,

I'm downloading the drivers but I have a feeling that there the same ones...

Anyway, i'll give it a whirl

Jonathan

Re: Thanks Starkey

Originally posted by jonathan7799
But for the purposes of my little boot disk for Privateer, I've reduced it too: - (wait for it!)

Config.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 FRAME=E000 I=B000-B7FF
DOS=HIGH,UMB

Autoexec.bat
c:\windows\SYSTEM\WAVEINIT.EXE /a220 /i7 /d1
c:\windows\SYSTEM\WAVETSR.COM[/B]
First, don't use this autoexec.bat and config.sys. To little info, it's junk. Use the other one.

Add the below lines to the autoexec.bat right below the @ECHO OFF line.
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
PROMPT $p$g

Make sure that this line is one line
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;

REM out C:\DRIVERS\CHKBOOT.EXE /LASTBOOT /NBROFBOOT /FIRSTUSERBOOT

Use these lines for your sound settings
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WAVEINIT.EXE /A220 /I5 /D1 /L388 /U330 /J200 /S
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WAVETSR.COM

Caps do count.
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl.../boards/soundcards/PCI64-Q3D/PCI64(238Q).html

Add this line to the botton of the autoexec.bat
SET COMSPEC=C:\windows\COMMAND.COM

Use this config.sys.

-------CONFIG.SYS------------
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF

REM --- CD-ROM DRIVE ---

STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /P
COUNTRY=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
LASTDRIVE=F

When you configure P1 sound settings use these settings: Port=220, Irq=5, DMA=1. The sound card should be SB16. Cross your fingers.

Thanks Johnl

Thanks for all the advice,

Have changed my Autoexec.bat and Config.sys,

But its decided to freeze on the boot up now, at the waveinit.exe , I don't think it likes thoughs setting much, I'm going to try a few things...

Any ideas in the mean time would be appreciated..

Jona

Okay, Update

Well, we're not done yet....(still what to keep going)...

Okay, this is what's happening...

I changed the config.sys and the autoexec.bat, but it freezes on the boot, so after much slog, I discovered that its this line that's causing the freeze.

EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF

Specifically its the /I=B000-B7FF thats causing the freeze, I discovered after much work believe me. So, if I remove that from the Config.sys it all loads normally but no EMS memory, its disappeared again, like before...

So if any of you know the answer to that you get the medal, if not I get no sound, maybe I'll just have to settle for that...

Maybe there is another setting for the emm386.exe /i=???? that will work, you no more than me, so over to you....

Jonathan

Back