Privateer....The Drone

Huge difference. Have you done any commodity trading? Admittedly, it's not very profitable.

Mining bases are those huge asteroid bases - raw minerals are mined from there. Refineries refine ores and raw materials into manufactured goods.

Sandra Goodin becomes available as soon as you pick up the Steltek gun and finish your business with Taryn Cross. Maybe not even that much, maybe you only need to pick up the gun and activate the drone. I usually find Goodin in the closest mining base - Macabee in Nexus.

The drone is activated in the intro.

I think it comes after you because you now have the gun.

and yeah, refineries and mining bases are quite different.

Well, I meant the game activates it when you take the Steltek gun. Locks on to you. Targets you for termination. Whatever.

Call up your local Steltek scout. He'll be more than happy to provide you with an energizer for you Steltek gun that will allow you to kill the drone. BTW did you know that the drone has the highest Max velocity (900 kps) of any WC ship, including SO fighters? Plus it has the highest YPR (200, 200, 200). Tough stuff.

I was just about to ask where those stats came from when I noticed the updated Steltek ship statistics.

But I'm wondering... just because there was only one gun which could be salvaged from the Steltek fighter doesn't necessarily mean that the fighter itself only has one gun, does it? And I wonder where the picture came from, I can't see that shot in any of the game screens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wedge009 said:
I was just about to ask where those stats came from when I noticed the updated Steltek ship statistics.

But I'm wondering... just because there was only one gun which could be salvaged from the Steltek fighter doesn't necessarily mean that the fighter itself only has one gun, does it? And I wonder where the picture came from, I can't see that shot in any of the game screens.

Check the stats for the drone, not the fighter. And I disagree with CIC's classification of the Steltek base as a "carrier."

I think they got that picture of the fighter by combining two halves of it from the wreck in the game. Ask an official.

And I disagree with CIC's classification of the Steltek base as a "carrier."

Don’t know the source for the conclusion it’s a carrier, but it is clearly a “ship”, as expressly stated both in the game, by Burrows, and in the Privateer Playtesters’ Guide. The Guide also notes the ship has a “landing pad”, and the ship certainly appears spacious enough to be some sort of carrier.

Maybe a term more along the lines of "mothership" or something might be more apprioate??

Yeah I don't remember seeing the fighter image....

Nemesis said:
Don’t know the source for the conclusion it’s a carrier, but it is clearly a “ship”, as expressly stated both in the game, by Burrows, and in the Privateer Playtesters’ Guide. The Guide also notes the ship has a “landing pad”, and the ship certainly appears spacious enough to be some sort of carrier.

Nemesis, it's a stationary base. It's shaped like a base. It looks like a base. The CIC's ship section improperly (in my opinion) lists it as a carrier. But hey, it's an honest mistake. People are only human. I merely wanted to point that out. Here is the most solid evidence that it's a base -- If it was a carrier it would move around, correct? Why then is it etched in stone on the Steltek artifact? They wouldn't mark a carrier's temporary location. No, they marked it for something permanent. Stone is permanent, and so is a base, so they marked it's location on the map in stone because it wasn't changing locations. Besides, the term "ship" is very generic. It doesn't say carrier. But even so, the proof is in stone. Quoting Brown-hair, "You think X marks the spot to a Steltek colony?" So clearly it was marked on the map. If you can offer more proof than that, I'd like to hear it. Sorry if I came off a little unfriendly. I was merely trying to prove my point.

I guess the Steltek thing is broken, thus it can't move even if it's a carrier. So much for "it'S stationary". And the Steltek are a completely unfamiliar and strange race maybe they worte everything in what you call "stone". It might be a damage report: "We lost ship X there, don't forget to pick it up before we leave this galaxy". Same goes for "it shaped/looks like a base" - what do we know about how alien ships look? The Borg cube sure doesn't look like a ship but it is! :)

. . .it's a stationary base.

Well, it’s certainly stationary at the time of “Privateer” because, as established in both the game and the Guide, we know it’s a “derelict”–a term often applied to an abandoned ship. And of course we know it’s a “ship”–and therefore an abandoned ship–since that’s also established in the game and the Guide. So however this ship was used–and I’m a little leery of your use of the term “base”, since there are “base-like” aspects to any ship, especially a carrier–it clearly was capable of movement sometime in the past. This is all canon. We do not have the right to question EA/Origin on these points.

It's shaped like a base.

Mekt-Hakkikt’s counterpoint is well-taken. I mean, you’re not really serious, are you, that there is some “standard” shape to all possible bases in the universe?

It looks like a base.

Frankly, it’s always looked like a ship to me. In particular, the projections on the one end (I note it isn’t rendered as a 3D object) at least remind me of “engine-like” designs.

The CIC's ship section improperly (in my opinion) lists it as a carrier.

Don’t know if it does or not. The “WC Bible” may address it, and there could be another production source that establishes the fact. And I haven’t checked “RF”, which contains references to the Steltek too. But given that it’s a ship, the claim that it’s a carrier is at the very least not an unreasonable conjecture.

Here is the most solid evidence that it's a base -- If it was a carrier it would move around, correct?

Again, it’s a derelict, an abandoned ship. Canon.

Why then is it etched in stone on the Steltek artifact? They wouldn't mark a carrier's temporary location.[/QUOTE

Mekt-Hakkikt’s counterpoint is again well-taken. And we know it’s an abandoned ship. And we know it was the Steltek’s intention to remove all their technology from that part of the galaxy.

Besides, the term "ship" is very generic. It doesn't say carrier. But even so, the proof is in stone. Quoting Brown-hair, "You think X marks the spot to a Steltek colony?"

However, Brown-hair or Burrows makes this statement before seeing the ship, and afterwards, in his “meeting” with the Steltek, calls it a “ship”. That he first calls it a “colony”, which is obviously speculation at that point–though I think it’s fair to say he bases his speculation on the same thing you do, namely the fact of “X” being “written in stone” on the artifact–and then later calls it a “ship”–clearly due to his having been there and seen it–undermines your main argument.

To put it another way: Burrows was “with you” until he actually found and landed on the ship. So you’re not only disagreeing with the CIC, but with Burrows himself! So what’s your beef with Burrows?:)

If you can offer more proof than that, I'd like to hear it.

As noted before, EA/Origin has established, at the least, that it’s a “derelict” and a “ship”. This must be accepted as true.

Sorry if I came off a little unfriendly.

Not at all. Nothing wrong with stating an argument bluntly.

Eh, I ultimately had to choose between listing what we absolutely *know* it has or making something up. I figured it'd be less debatable if I just listed tne one gun rather than six or seven or however many gun ports the thing seems to have.

The picture is a 3D render of the fighter. The whole reason I updated the Steltek stats was because I had some nice big 3D pictures of all the Steltek fighters... and then Filler never recolored them for me, and then I forgot about it.

Check the stats for the drone, not the fighter. And I disagree with CIC's classification of the Steltek base as a "carrier."

It's certainly a ship of some sort - it's got big Steltek engines (they're in 'black' off mode, same as the drone before the missile hits it).

Here's a picture of the side:

stelcarrier.jpg

I can't say for sure that it's a carrier... but it's certainly some sort of capital ship that has a central flight deck which carries fighters. :)

Why would an advanced alien race that obviously has computers and advanced mapping tools etch the location of a non-stationary capital ship in a stone artifact?

I can see that it looks like it has engines, but who says those are engines? They are never conclusively shown to be engines. They could just be domes for observation of something.

Then again, why would an advanced race leave a stone artifact on Mars that had a map of a distant stationary object carved on it. Why would an advanced alien race even make things out of stone for storing maps or data? My point when quoting brown-hair was to prove that it was in fact makred on the map; that I wasn't merely assuming. Doesn't anyone want to admit that something is strange about an advanced alien race marking the location of a temporary ship on a stone tablet which was split into two pieces and left on Mars?

For the record, here it is.

www.members.aol.com/robert29b/images/artifact1.jpg

One wierd looking starmap, isn't it.

AFAIK, Maybe some other race who worshipped the Steltek drew the map in the stone. THing is, we don't know. It doesn't make any difference, and it definitely looks like a carrier.

Hey, maybe the stone was part of a monument dedicated to those steltek who died serving the SSS Nachos which was destroyed in that particular system.

Burdette said:
Why would an advanced alien race that obviously has computers and advanced mapping tools etch the location of a non-stationary capital ship in a stone artifact?
(...)
Then again, why would an advanced race leave a stone artifact on Mars that had a map of a distant stationary object carved on it. Why would an advanced alien race even make things out of stone for storing maps or data? My point when quoting brown-hair was to prove that it was in fact makred on the map; that I wasn't merely assuming. Doesn't anyone want to admit that something is strange about an advanced alien race marking the location of a temporary ship on a stone tablet which was split into two pieces and left on Mars?
(...)

Why not? They're aliens, they're supposed to do things differently. :)

Maybe it's a magic stone, somekind of stone that can be read, written on and effaced by Steltek computers. It could be a screen which shows the last information stored or any other crazy idea.
And, as I said, they could have made that map when they knew the ship has become unable to move, so that somebody can find it and pick it up.

There are a lots of strange things in the WC universe and they're mostly there to further the plot. But IMHO, nothing has more right to be strange than everything that has to do with the Steltek. They are strange and we don't know much about them or their motivations. Not to to forget that millions (or thousands? I don't remember) of years have passed in the meantime, we don't know what happenend to the map during that time.

Back