Privateer in Win 98 EMM386 problems

U

Unregistered

okay i reboot into dos and try to run privateer and i get the following message:

Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls. Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option. If it is, replace NOEMS with RAM.

Here is my config.sys:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 65536
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe

Here is my autoexec.bat

C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDP~1\PCSCAN.EXE C:\ C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ /NS /WIN95
REM ****** TRIDENT MICROSYSTEMS, INC. PCI AUDIO DOS UTILS *******
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WAVEINIT.EXE /A220 /I5 /D1 /L388 /U330
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WAVETSR.COM

Also where can I get a dos driver for my usb mouse. I have no mouse support and Im not sure how to get that to work in dos.

make the fallowing line:

look like this:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 65536

if that does not work, take out the "65536", makint the line look like:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM

yo

hey i posted mine to this:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF /M:1
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB

still nothin... anyone help id appreciate it a lot

This is a bit odd, I can't remember why the game would complain of having no EMS if the RAM switch is there...

Originally posted by Happy
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 65536
Erm, this is not right - EMM386 cannot be loaded in to high memory. Also, Privateer's sound goes wacky for some reason with memory over 16 MB. So try this instead:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 I=B000-B7FF

i tried what you said, still the same result... it still says i need to switch NOEMS to RAM... am i missing something here? anyone?

Then I have no idea about the NOEMS message if RAM switch is already present.

Originally posted by Unregistered
Also where can I get a DOS driver for my USB mouse.
AFAIK, DOS doesn't support USB devices - you need a serial mouse.

Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls. Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option. If it is, replace NOEMS with RAM.
Here is my config.sys:

Hmm that should work...
Are you sure you are showing us the correct config.sys? Is this really the one the system is using?
Are there any error messages displayed maybe?
Is it by chance a laptop?
What does a "mem /c" command say about EMM memory?

PS: devicehigh won't do a thing if put before himem or emm386.

Also where can I get a dos driver for my usb mouse. I have no mouse support and Im not sure how to get that to work in dos.

While in principle there is zero reason why usb devices should not work in DOS there is to my knowledge no USB mouse driver. Should you ever find one I'd be very interested in such a thing as well.
As far as mice go - get a PS/2 mouse. Most USB mice nowadays come with a USB->PS/2 converter.
Serial mice OTOH seem to have died out with the optical mice.

Originally posted by cff
Are you sure you are showing us the correct config.sys? Is this really the one the system is using?
This crossed my mind too...

Originally posted by cff
Serial mice OTOH seem to have died out with the optical mice.
AFAIK, optical mice are quite recent, they just seem to be more of a gimmick than anything else. Or perhaps convenient (no jams). I just suggested a serial mouse, because that's what my old 386 used, for some (admittedly stupid) reason I thought PS/2s were only on Compaqs, since they're the only computers I have at home which use them.

Same problem

I tried this but it didnt work

Still got the same error

Can you confirm that you're changing the correct system files? How are you booting to DOS - by a bootdisk, via the "Restart in MS-DOS mode" in the shut down screen, or the startup menu? First one obviously uses system files on a disk, the latter two use the system file on the hard drive.

My boot up

I use the one on my C: root directory. I only have one config.sys, but should i use a boot disk ?

Probably - it'll make things simpler. When you use the "Restart in MS-DOS mode" option, I think it's a bit more fiddly mucking around with system files. If you want to be sure you're using the CONFIG.SYS on your hard drive, press F8 just before the splash screen for Windows comes up, ie when it has a flashing cursor in the top left corner, or it says "Starting Windows 95...". Then select "Command Prompt Only".

Boot disk Q

What exactly should i have on my boot disk, its been so long since ive had to make one. What exactly should i have on the autoexec.bat and config.sys and what other files do i need.

IIRC, go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. From there you should be able to make what's called an "Emergency Boot Disk".

that or make all files viewable
and from C:\ copy
msdos.sys
io.sys
config.sys
autoexec.bat

also needed
command.com
located in C:\windows\command\

as well as ur cd-rom drivers and sound card drivers if needed, but u can link those on ur harddrive if they are too big.
linking also has a nice effect of speeding up the load time as they are on the hd not the floppy.

Don't confuse him - you'll need to edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS if you do it that way.

In any case, I suppose those file should be posted once the bootdisk is made.

The boot disk

Ok i just formatted the disk and just copied system files so when i boot up it boots just into dos so i dont have to mess with windows. My autoexec follows as this

C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDP~1\PCSCAN.EXE C:\ C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ /NS /WIN95
REM ****** TRIDENT MICROSYSTEMS, INC. PCI AUDIO DOS UTILS *******
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WAVEINIT.EXE /A220 /I5 /D1 /L388 /U330
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WAVETSR.COM

Config.sys

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe

I tried booting up with that and I still get the same error as before.

I have EMS

I have EMS but im still getting this error with the boot disk

Back