Privateer Gold

Hi Johnl12

My sound card is a Creative SB Vibra 128.

The sound drivers load whether in C:\sound or on my D: The problem is the dirver reports that it "can't find a PCI sound card".

I don't have the 'cloaking.exe' file on my PC.

My Privateer Gold runs with the "no sound' option so the memory configuration seems OK.

I have contacted the PCI64.zip author in the hope he migh offer some advice. I'm looking around for another sound card just in case.

Any thoughts about the awful resolution when the game runs? It looks like its running in EGA!

Best regards:cool:

Here is a site with SB drivers. Try the SB64basic.exe
http://www.vobis.de/bbs/support/brett36/
What Graphic Card do you have?

As far as memory is concern P1 can't handle anything above 16MBs RAM. Every regular here knows this and will back me up on this. If you want my help then you must use thes settings.

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF

If you insist on not following my instructions please say so and I will stop helping you. I am not making this up. You have the install instruction on your CD. Read them! This is what it states in the instruction for EMM386.EXE.

CONFIG.SYS using DOS's EMM386.EXE (EMS with DOS 5.0, 6.0, 6.2, Windows 3.1)
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE 2592 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM
DOS=UMB
DOS=HIGH
FILES=25
BUFFERS=25
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS /P
DEVICEHIGH=C:\<path>\<drivers>

The change I made to this info is to reflex Win98 and increase memory to 16MBs which is the most P1 can handle. Stop fighting me.

!

Hi Johnl12

I was amazed to read your last post! I do apologize if i seem ungrateful or have upset you.

I came to this site for assistance, knowing almost nothing about Pirvateer & not much more about PC's. Although other members have offered assistance i stuck with you because of your approach & apparent knowldge base.

Please remember what is obvious to you won't be obvious to beginers (IE. 16MB RAm & EMM lines) & i have also demonstated that i do not take you assistance for granted, as i spent time reading all the manuals that came with the game, viewing on-line info, etc. However, not all the info is the same & as you have pointed out, does not refer to W98.

My graphics card is the Matrox G200.

Any how, i appreciate your help Johnl12 & I'll make the changes you stated & post my results later. :(

I do know that you are not as familiar with PCs as I am. I been working as a Sys Admin for over four years. I manager almost 300 servers. I also have a good rep for my customer service.

I really don't care if you load your drivers from c: or d: drives. My goal is to get the game up and running and not to teach basic DOS commands. After we get this game running you get arrange it anyway you wish.

Now back to your problem.

The G200 card was the first graphic card I've ever own and P1 was the first DOS game I ever had to get working with it. I know this card. See you need the VESA drivers. This is just old DOS stuff. Todays new graphic cards has these drivers hard coded into the video chipset.

Get your MATROX Installation CD. In it you'll find a directory call dosutil, run the install.exe. This will create a folder c:\MGA. Now in c:\mga\setup there is a readme.txt file, open it. The part which you are most concern about is the section title:

VBESETUP.EXE and VBETSR.COM Utilities:

Follow the instructions. After you finish installing these drivers copy these lines from the c:\autoexec.bat to your floppy.

SET MGA=C:\MGA\SETUP\
C:\MGA\SETUP\VBETSR
C:\MGA\SETUP\VBESETUP

Place them just above the sound card settings. Don't worry, they won't harm your PC. But if you wish you can remove them from the c:\autoexec.bat.

Now your graphics should look better.

You can also check out this section if you wish:
Monitor program (MGAMON.EXE):
It's not a big deal but it could help.

Now back to the "cloaking.exe". I would encourage you to find it. This program will hide your logitech mouse drivers from memory, free up around 24,000 KB of conventional memeory. This is a big deal. If your find it copy it to your logitech mouse directory add this line to the config.sys
DEVICEHIGH=<path>\CLOAKING.EXE
Example of path:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\LOGITECH\CLOAKING.EXE

It should be on the first logitech floppy.

If you don't have the MATROX Installation CD try forums that these sites to help you.
http://www.matrox.com/mga/home.htm
http://www.MATROXusers.com/

Update

Helo Johnl12

The Vesa drivers work fine & the games looks OK now, Thanx

That just leaves the sound.

I dowloaded the SB64basic.exe but it would not install. The error message said "You are running Windows 95. The program is for DOS & Windows 3.1"

I downloaded a couple of other drivers from the same site but all had the same error message.

Question: On the old sound cards you could physically change the jumper settings & then set the software to match. With these modern sound cards do we need to do the same? I can't find any mention of this in the SBVibra 128 manual.

I ask because i wonder if the PCI64.zip can't find my sound card because the jumper settings etc, migh not match the settings in the program & on the floppy boot up?

I just remember that the Creative SB Vibra 128 does not work under DOS. It was something CL try years ago which to move away DOS. This card was to be the first pure windows 95 base sound card. It was a consumer failure. I remember reading about this years ago. You'll need another sound card to play DOS games.

I have no use for a sound card other than WC games: Privateer Gold, Kilrthi Saga & Prophecy. I can get a SB16 PnP locally or a SB AWE64 on Ebay...any good?

Given my setup, what card would you recommend?

I have SB16 PCI card in my DOS machine. I use to have it install in my Win98 machine with my SBLive. If all you need a sound card for games maybe you should thing about a Turtle Beach's Santa Cruz card. I don't own one but it's been getting really good reviews and past owners of SBLive card just love it. It supports EAX and it plays DOS games better then the SBLive. It's list price is $79.00. http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/
Plus getting a newer card if you decided to go to a XP system you can still use the card.

I just post a new thread in the General Chat asking for feedback on the Turtle Beach's Santa Cruz card.

Just to make sure I made it's clear, the SB 16 PCI card will work in DOS/Win98 but it's old tech and newer games won't sound as good on this card.

Back