Privateer Gold

exetazo

Spaceman
This version works in DOS & W95 (so the box says).

I need it to work in W98SE.

Any advice would be most welcome.

I am asuming you are talking about Privateer 1 CD version and not Privateer 2. P1 can not be play in Windows. You'll need to make a bootdisk. Post your c:\autoexec.bat, c:\config.sys and c:\windows\dosstart.bat. What sound card do you have?

Or just make a Windows-shortcut. :) THEN it works in Windows. (I KNOW it reboots to a DOS session with the new configuration files you put in the chortcut, sheesh. Don't club me yet. But it DOES start from Windows and when you exit Priv1 also takes you back there. :D)

Originally posted by Mystery muppet
Or just make a Windows-shortcut. :) THEN it works in Windows. (I KNOW it reboots to a DOS session with the new configuration files you put in the chortcut, sheesh. Don't club me yet. But it DOES start from Windows and when you exit Priv1 also takes you back there. :D)
Mystery muppet, If you're going to help him create a shortcut to re-boot off of windows you'll need to give him exact instruction. You have to give the short cut a autoexec.bat and a config.sys. It's usually easier just to do a bootdisk. Now if you want to him do this then I'll stay away from this post. :)

Which Version

The box says "Origin Classics - Privateer Gold" for Windows 95 & DOS. It comes on one CD.

The autorun has a windows installer that should make a PIF automatically set up the autoexec & config. However, the installation instructions admit that this does not work in all systems. It doesn't work with mine.

Boot Disk or Win Dos box

I think that a bootup disk it the best way to go & thats what i'm working on now.

Do i use a win98 boot disk from my own PC or download a DOs6.22 bootdisk?

If i use a W98 bootdisk, will the USB mosue, joystick work? (I assume not). How about my PCI soundblaster Vibra 128 soundcard?

I think a Win98 bootdisk is sufficient. For me, I just press F8 when the cursor is flashing (just before the Win98 splash screen comes up), and it goes to a startup menu. It's easy to go to DOS from there.

[BTW, I don't think USB will work - I'm sure they use Windows drivers. You'll need DOS drivers for your sound card (hard to find, I know).]

John: Heh, whatever. :)

exetazo: Ok, post your autoexec.bat, config.sys and dosstart.bat (C:\Windows\dosstart.bat) and let's see what we can dig up.
If they look weird, make a shortcut to priv.bat/exe, whatever it is, right-click on it, select properties. Go into the 'Program'-tab (in Win98 it's the second from the left), click Advanced, and enable DOS-mode. Now comes the part I'm not that sure about... Either when you check 'Use default DOS-configuration' or whatever it says, or checking 'Use new DOS-configuration' and clicking 'Configuration...' (button) should produce a configuration in the two message windows. Those are config.sys and autoexec.bat (if you didn't know that already), in that order. dosstart.bat shouldn't be necessary, it depends on whether or not your CD-ROM drive is enabled now or not. The same for your mouse and soundcard. If they aren't enabled in the configuration you get, dig up dosstart.bat from the C:\windows-dungeon.

Some Success but........

Dear Johnl12

I have seen that you are a busy man on this site so i've tried to work on it myself. Here's where i am so far:

The Mouse, CD, Keyboard & Memory are OK

MY SYSTEM is:

W98SE
AMDK7 650mhz
128mb RAM
Matrox G200
SB Vibra128 (PCI)
Logitech Marble Mouse (PS/2)
Logitech Keyboard (PS/2)
Logitech Wingman Extreme (USB)

DEVICEhigh=HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEhigh=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM HIGHSCAN I=B700-B7FF D=64 H=255
dos=high,umb
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /E:1024 /P
FILEShigh=30
BUFFERShigh=20
DEVICEhigh=cd1.SYS /D:banana

rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1f0,14
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:170,15
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:170,10
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1e8,12
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1e8,11
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:168,10
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:168,9

LASTDRIVE=t

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
SET BLASTER=
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
@echo off
MSCDEX.EXE /D:banana /L:f
LH D:\logitech\mouse.exe
LH c:\windows\system\ctpci9x.drv

This set-up delivers 2 error messages.
1/ On boot up, "File Not found" I assume its the 3rd &/or last line of the autoexec.bat but the files are there.

2/ When attempting to run priv' the error message is that the sound card is incorreclty configured.

I see that when assisting Flateric, you suggested
"SET SOUNSCAPE+C:\windows" & a mentioned 'SBPCI'.
I don't know what soundscape is & my *.pci.drv is not recognised.

Any ideas?

exetazo :

in the first line of your config.sys you have:
DEVICEhigh=HIMEM.SYS
try changing that to :
devicehigh=c:\windows\himem.sys

In your autoexec.bat you have:
SET BLASTER=
try changing it so that the blaster command does have some settings, e.g. :
SET BLASTER=A200 I5 D1 H5 T4

I know someone else is helping you with this, but maybe a little extra help wont go amiss?? :)

On another note, your joystick wont work as its USB, and USB is not supported under dos.

exetazo, Do you have a C:\windows\dosstart.bat file? If your DOS drivers are already install on your machine this will tell me. If not you need the DOS drivers for your sound card. You can get it here.
http://www.spmicro.com/mp3sidekick/ensoniq.html
Follow the instructions.

I see you have a logitech mouse. Check the floppys for the CLOAKING.EXE file. Copy it to the c:\logitech.
This line states you are load the mouse driver from the D: drive.
LH D:\logitech\mouse.exe
Is this correct? Are your dual booting?

And what about this line.
LASTDRIVE=t
Is your last drive T? The only time I seen drive letters that high I on a network. The lastdrive refers to the drivers letter in MY Computer.

To Johnl12

Hello

My hard disk is partitioned into C: & D:. Windows is on C: & everything else is on D:

I'm not familriar with dosstart.bat so i'll take a look at it today.

My bootdisk came from www.bootdisk.com & i've modified it somewhat to get 600K of DOS Memory. My two CD's are F: & G: at the momement.

What kind of memeory does Priv use, XMS or EMS?

Thanks

Exetazo;)

Story so far...

Johnl12,

My dosstart.bat only contains a mouse driver, nothing else.

I have downloaded & installed PCI64.zip but the driver can't find the PCI Sound card on boot up & so doesn't load.

I have modified the lastdrive letter to F ( the same as My computer).

I would like to see the dosstart.bat. Did you copy the cloaking.exe. Also copy the D:\logitech to the c: drive. You did unzip the sound drivers to c:\sound?

Here a autoexec.bat and config.sys.

In the autoexec.bat you need to fix one line.

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\SOUND;

Make sure this is one line.

----config.sys---------
[common]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF
REM DEVICE=C:\ LOGITECH\CLOAKING.EXE
DOS=HIGH,UMB

REM --- CD-ROM Drive ---
DEVICEHIGH=CD1.SYS /D:BANANA

STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35
SHELL=C:\ WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /P
LASTDRIVE=F

---------autoexec.bat--------
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
PROMPT $p$g

REM --------Sound Card
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T2 J201
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\SOUND
C:\SOUND\APINIT.COM
C:\SOUND\APLOAD.EXE

REM --- CD-ROM Drive ---
MSCDEX.EXE /D:BANANA /L:F
REM --- Mouse-----
SET LMOUSE=C:\LOGITECH
LH C:\LOGITECH\MOUSE.EXE NOINI

SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM

To Johnl12

I'll post my 'Dosstart.bat' later when i get back home.

John, why does it make a difference which drive the mouse is installed on & loads from, as it works Ok in my DOS enviroment at the moment? (I haven't looked for 'cloaking.exe') yet.

I must admit i installed the PCI64 drivers onto the D: & this is relflected in the 'autoexec.bat'. The drivers load OK. However, i'll re-install it onto C:\sound & see if it makes a difference.

Will post everything in a few hours.

Thanx

To Johnl12

One more thought.

The last part of the instuctions that are on the webpages for the PCI64, state

"put a file named MPXPLAY.INI in the directory where your 'MPXPLAY' execuatable is located."

I haven't done this as there is no MPXPLAY of any type on my PC.

Adjustments made.

Contents of C:\Windows\dosstart.bat is:-
"d:\LOGITECH\MOUSE.EXE"

AUTOXEC.BAT

SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
PROMPT $p$g

REM --------Sound Card
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T2 J200
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\SOUND
C:\SOUND\APINIT.COM
C:\SOUND\APLOAD.EXE

REM --- CD-ROM Drive ---
MSCDEX.EXE /D:BANANA /L:F

REM --- Mouse-----
SET LMOUSE=D:\LOGITECH
LH D:\LOGITECH\MOUSE.EXE NOINI

SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM

CONFIG.SYS

DEVICEhigh=C:\windows\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEhigh=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM HIGHSCAN I=B700-B7FF D=64 H=255
dos=high,umb
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /E:1024 /P

FILEShigh=30
BUFFERShigh=20
STACKSHIGH=18,256
DEVICEhigh=cd1.SYS /D:banana

rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1f0,14
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:170,15
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:170,10
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1e8,12
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1e8,11
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:168,10
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:168,9

LASTDRIVE=G

Johnl12, i know your setblaster settings were J201 but that didn't work so i tried J200 (as stated in the PCI64.zip instructions), but that doesn't work either.

I have installed the PCI64 into C:\sound

So, the current state of play is:
1/ The PCI Dos sound drivers still don't load because it cant find the SB card.

2/ If i install Priv with 'no sound' options i can run the game with the keyboard & mouse but the screen resolution is awful.

You you sure you have a SB 64 PCI card? Those drivers should work. Look that the card and make sure. Oh, I just read one of your earlier post you state that this sound card work from the d: drive?
If it does then put them back there. I don't understand why they work on the d: and not the c:.

You need to be using these exact lines in the config.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF

P1 won't run with what you got. It's a very picking game. DEVICEHIGH won't work on these two programs. They will only load into conventional memory. Did you find the cloaking.exe file?

Back