Privateer 3??

You mean they really hold Freelancer back? I don't think that way. I read that they'd work to bring it out soon. At least the incomplete version shown at the E3 in LA looked good....and it really got good critics in Germany. So if they don't want to go ahead producing a game, they won't show it to people. That would be stupid if they did. The release date in the magazine was second-third Quarter of next year. So..it is always later...maybe end of next year. ;) but not 18 months any more *g*
I only hope the magazine was serious.

There were a lot of positive articles after E3 1999 and 2000 too... I'm not saying they're deliberately holding it back, just that it's been in development for a very long time.

Too long, IMHO...
The more we wait, the more we expect something better to make up for all the time we've been waiting...

I have the fear that the game won't be at the level of our expectations... :(

Hehe. That is usual so. :)
It looked very good though. Just that I felt disturbed by little details. I only hope the graphics is as good as promoted.
We'll see it anyway. We can only decide to buy it or not.

The graphics were astonishing in 1999, now they're just very good. I wonder if they've decided to make it a space sim instead afterall, and that is the reason it's taking so long.

Then it must be very special. For that long time. Like I said. We'll see. :) If it ever gets released before we are old and grey.

Allegiance had real physics (or at least pretty real compared to Wing Commander and Freespace), so it's normal that it wasn't as popular. Earth and Beyond is the reason Privateer Online was canceled, so it had better come out.

Got this from www.lancernews.com#132
REDMOND -- Freelancer Moved Back To Allow Potential Customers To Purchase Computers

Microsoft Games announced today that they have moved the release of the highly anticipated space action game, Freelancer, back to spring 2002. This comes a year after it was moved to spring 2001, two years after it was moved to winter 2000, and three years after it was moved to spring 2000.

Might be an X-Box release only.

Converting games between X-Box and PC is fairly easy (at least compared to for instance doing a PC->PS2 conversion). Since they already had PC work done, I think MS will release both PC and X-Box versions. Technically there's no reason not to.
But marketing may very well decide otherwise.

was chris roberts in only on freelancer or was he also in on starlancer? i think even as they move back freelancer's release date, they have to be tweaking it up a bit or something... maybe improving mulitplayer or something.

Where I live I see like 6 alliance boxes on the shelves is it worth getting does it have singleplayer...?

AND WHO WOULDNT WANT ANOTHER WC GAME!!!

yepp but all we need is a space sim thats easily customizable and we can make our own dam WC game ;)

LOL well, it's good to see I got you people thinking again, which is the biggest achievement to get out of this thread, and I'm happy at least that worked out just fine.
Seeing that Kris doesn't start fuming at the mouth anymore when he sees my name means he accepted my peace offering, I hope.

At least y'all maybe now understand my callsign a little better.

Be interesting to see how the general public sees of this, having the multiplayer release after the initial release.

Most likely won't take too highly of it, though better than delaying the entire release.

Well, it adds the whole Massively Multiplayer Persistent Universe, so that's a pretty huge add-on. Something that would normally be a new game. So those who like the game, and those interested in sci-fi MMP's will definitely be looking forward to it.

So the real question could be, how many units does FL have to sell in the first few months for the add-on to be published?

Addons are generally a lot cheaper, both in production and point of sale, hence, I would guess distributors are a lot easier on agreeing to release addons than to initial games, unless under exceptional circumstances. Especially since they usually don't manufacture as many as they would original games. At a guess, probably 10%, or less, of the original product, in most cases.

Even addons like the Diablo 2 expansion... while they sold huge, wouldn't have sold nearly as many.

Others that come ot mind are the Sim City 200 addons and Armada/WC2/Privateer addons...
Hell, I never even saw them on the shelves.

For an MMP add-on you'd need a lot of equipment (servers, highspeed connections) and personnel. And that's assuming the game shipped with the multiplayer functionality already in place. But since they're taking 6 months they'll probably need them to develop that aspect of the game.

Back