Privateer 3??

And once again, Ghost, we thank thee for this most intriguing contribution and bend our heads pondering thy wisdom

Note.. the original singer of that little number got killed, Ghost

So because the artist is dead we shouldn't listen to or use his work?

By that, should we cease playing WC3+4, since they have Eisen in them?

Kris, on the other hand, when YOU disagree with someone it somehow becomes the must-be-correct solution, with absolutely nothing to show as support.

Basically, no matter what the majority of the fans want to do, if Kris says he doesn't want to do it, it won't happen, because "He's in charge".
Suggest if you want to get a petition of such going you might have to talk to the guys at wingcenter.de or somewhere similar.

Hell this is not okay,and you know that.
All people here have their faults. They are humans at least. Even Admins are no gods. Accept that. Kris may have his own opinion anyways. And he can mostly give logic reasons for it. So, if you have a prob with him/his opinion, this is defintely not the right place to discuss about it. If it was so, we could call the thread 'What I don't like at the people around me.' Then we should maybe begin at other place. But this reminds me a bit of the middle age. Where people were put in the middle at the market to be judged.

Why is it just so difficult o take people as they are?
You expect the other posters accept you? You expect the staff members to respect you? But on the other hand many people don't like to accept them. WE all have our faults. So live with them. There are things in our life,which cannot be changed. If you try neither way to do, it leads to a new arguement.
And that do we definitely *not* need.
So please try to keep the peace, because no arguement ever brought anything (own experince). :)

Originally posted by Stormbird
PPS Unforgiven, I know about people not listening. i'm a project leader myself, have been beta tester and developer too. But I also know what happens when you stop arguing because "nobody's gonna listen anyways"
I agree wholehartedly. There are however extremes. One example is WPA. After months still people are posting the same arguments everyday to that NG why it should be removed before RTM. There is so much clutter there that if you have an actual problem, there's not much chance anyone will read it in that ng.
That's when stubbernness get's annoying.
But sometimes indeed it pays off.
As long as you don't get unreasonable when it fails (like, again, the WPA discussion) it's okay I guess.

Wait a second, wasn't I the one who said 'nuff said?
Damn, guess I better shut up then... :rolleyes:

Sorry, sometimes I get caught up in the jargon.:D
Translation guide:
WPA=Windows Product Activation
NG=Newsgroup
RTM=Released To Manufacturing. It's when the code is ready and they start pressing CDs for retail.

Petitioning can be an effective means of having your opinion expressed in some cases, but it's pretty obvious why Kris would think it's a bad Idea. From the past examples it seems as if nine out of ten 'bring wing commander back' kind of petitions are initially handled poorly, first rarely is enough thought put into who they should be sending petitions to. Second if your going to petition, snail mail is the way to go and yet email seems to be the method used. Then after the attempt that had no chance in hell due to it being sent to the wrong people in the first place fails, the petitioners get po'ed and send off rude emails about the generally blunt yet polite rejection issued to them. As such I'd say there is a good chance that these incessant petitions could ironically be harmfull to there cause. After all when people get pissy with you how likely is it you'll do as they ask?

Originally posted by Stormbird
And once again, Ghost, we thank thee for this most intriguing contribution and bend our heads pondering thy wisdom

Note.. the original singer of that little number got killed, Ghost

Yes I know....John Lennon, Right ???
I´m so young to hear The Beatles !!! :p

Originally posted by akashra
Kris, on the other hand, when YOU disagree with someone it somehow becomes the must-be-correct solution, with absolutely nothing to show as support.

Basically, no matter what the majority of the fans want to do, if Kris says he doesn't want to do it, it won't happen, because "He's in charge".
Considering your recent comments on various Fan Projects, I'd say you're in no position to complain about someone always having to be right.

I have to agree that a properly organised snail mail petition aimed at the right people could well have some effect.

Lets face it, EA are in there to make money, if they think Wing Commander is large an initial cost they should be looking to sell on the liscence not simply abandon it, that makes no sense at all.
If we got the right people to see there is profit to be made then they will try and get at that profit, it won't be for us but they will do it :)

There are other factors than just production costs. The last 5 space sims combined have sold about 25 units. Plus they're really into this MMP thing now, which doesn't work all that well yet with space sims.

Why wouldn't it make sense to just hang on to the license instead of selling it? It just means they could do something with it in the future. If they sold the license, then all would really be lost, who knows what loser company it ends up with?

Yeah but what if a big company would buy the license (though I know it is unrealistic...*g*). Then it'd make sense.

lol Okay my fault. I didn't say exactly what I mean.
I didn't mean so much game companies. I thought of MS maybe
:D Since they bought the game company (don't know the name any more), which produces Freelancer. Buy yes...of course I know that is unrealistic. *g* anyway but thanks for the advice. :p
Like you said..there is not such a need of SF flight sims at the moment. Maybe they should produce a Marine Ego Shooter. Killing Kilrathi in dangerous actions on planets. Another sight of the war. That could be interesting. With multiplayer function of course. That would maybe sell if it was well-made. With the cutscenes and and and.... I know that is utopic either way. Just an idea.

You know, that's probably pretty much true... Microsoft, Activision, EA and Sierra... they own probably the majority of the lasting companies now, between them. With the odd one that lasts a while before, if they make something decent, being bought up by one of them.

However, I very much doubt EA would sell the rights to another large company. They'd be more likely to sell it to a smaller company, one who's not a huge rival in the market.

There's a sure fire way for EA to make profits:
1. Sell WC license to smaller company.
2. Small company makes new WC
3. If it fails, no harm done, EA happy
If it succeeds, buy small company, EA happy
:rolleyes:

You'd be surprised, things pretty much work that way these days when licenses are sold off. Lots of good companies get gobbled up quite quickly.

And in the case the company don't want to be bought out, they just poach all the staff, so it's as though they got the company anyway.

you know, i think a much better way than a petition to get a WC game going is to buy Freelancer/Starlancer, and it would show EA and Microsoft that space sims are still a viable genre of games to be made...

But that still would not mean they'd make a new WC game. ;)
Maybe they'd do something new. Because WC has a quality standard. A new game not that much.
It depends of how the game should be like. And whether WC would be EA's first choice then.

Starlancer only sold some 30,000 units in North America. I don't know how it did in the rest of the world, but most of the copies that appeared in local stores when the game came out are still sitting there. They didn't even release any patches for it, or the editor that was promised.

I believe Freelancer has been '18 months from release' since 1998. So that's not looking very good either.

Another reason why EA won't make a new Wing Commander any time soon : Westwood is doing an MMP space sim called Earth & Beyond. We'll have to see how well that one does (if it's actually released <G>).

Back