Privateer 2-The Darkening

Wulf

Vice Admiral
Does anyone agree with me that this game is so NOT WC? I mean, sure I enjoyed it, but it is so different and sure was one DARK mother(bleep)er!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you... FLAME BAIT!
It's a really bad idea to ask that in here. And yes, it is part of the WC universe. I won't go into detail, but it's timeline is long after the Kilrathi war.

Priv2 is officially in the WC universe, 100 years after Prophecy and in an umfamiliar part of the galaxy.

Of course, when I played it the first time I was pretty sure as well that it didn't had to do anyhting with WC. But Origin said so, thus it is part of WC.

And yes, it has a weirder, maybe darker mood than the rest, I agree.

Greetings! I come from the year 1901. I refuse to believe I am still on planet Earth. Where I come from, we don't have those weird micro-wave things. And what the hell is this com-puter thingy I'm typing in to? I want my typewriter back! I can't still be on Earth, things don't change this much in 100 years.

Originally posted by Cpl Hades
Greetings! I come from the year 1901. I refuse to believe I am still on planet Earth. Where I come from, we don't have those weird micro-wave things. And what the hell is this com-puter thingy I'm typing in to? I want my typewriter back! I can't still be on Earth, things don't change this much in 100 years.

So what's the canon explanation for the fact that everybody's
back to using lasers and ion cannons when a hundred years
ago everyone had tachyon, plasma, neutron, and particle cannons? Did the Retros win or something?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

PS. Would anyone agree with me that the Kraven is an overpriced piece-of-*? I always found the ion cannons to have
roughly the same damage potential (less damage per shot, but higher rate of fire) for less cost and without the need for a cooling
unit. -- BDP.

Originally posted by pendell

ago everyone had tachyon, plasma, neutron, and particle cannons? Did the Retros win or something?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

PS. Would anyone agree with me that the Kraven is an overpriced piece-of-*? I always found the ion cannons to have
roughly the same damage potential (less damage per shot, but higher rate of fire) for less cost and without the need for a cooling
unit. -- BDP.

Well, strangely enough, we're still using guns that fire bullets today, despite the fact that they were used several centuries ago. Admittedly, ours are just sliiiiightly more effective, but the concept remains the same.

And yes, I would agree that the Kraven is overpriced and not worth the effort. Personally, I find the mass-ions ineffective - they have far too short a range. I go for a full load of .... oops, too long since I've played. Flux Cannon Mk II or Stream Laser Mk II. Less damage than the Kraven, but less heat and the longest range of any gun in the game. Given the poor enemy AI, they will usually try to go head-to-head with me and errr die.

The AI is horrible.
Apparently Erin didn't take into account that people wouldn't miss a chance to play chicken with a starfighter... Thus the fighters don't know to steer AROUND the incoming ships!:D

Many things can be called lasers. There are cutting lasers, lasers which blow holes in eye sockets.. erm, correct vision, and there are laser pointers. None of these will do much damage to your ship, but they're still lasers.

LASER is an especially generalized term anyway, and can include a wide variety of devices.

Further, clearly the military lasers used today bear little relation to those used in Wing Commander -- thus the ones used in Privateer 2 do not necessarily relate to those used in the earlier set games.

(...)

unit. -- BDP.

I really disliked the Mass Ion and was very happy with my 5 Kraven lasers. But as you like it...

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

I really disliked the Mass Ion and was very happy with my 5 Kraven lasers. But as you like it...

Hmm .. what made you dislike that Mass Ion? It's a preference thing, obviously, but I'm still curious ..

To others -- I always thought a laser specifically meant a beam of coherent light. There are multiple ways of producing this, and multiple frequencies said beam can be on, but the underlying principle is the same.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

shouldn't lasers, when fired, hit the target at the speed of light? I don't know where that came from, just thought about it :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Further, clearly the military lasers used today bear little relation to those used in Wing Commander -- thus the ones used in Privateer 2 do not necessarily relate to those used in the earlier set games.

Also, the lasers that are REALLY powerful, especially ones for military use, operate on a different light spectrum. Lasers that fire beams visible to our eyes are the "weaker" breed, you could say. And yes, you would not have to lead a target with lasers; I never understood why game developers always treated laser shots like projectiles.:mad:

Back