Privateer 2 Talon

Say, Bob McDob, what are you cooking there?

Why, a delicious can of 'Campbell's Dumb Privateer 2 Argument'

What are you, twelve? Chicken and Stars was great in 1996... but now that we're all grown up, it's time for a tasty can of Progresso Canned Privateer 2 Response Post!

Mmmm! You can smell the Talongratha confusion!

(That's right, boys and girls, it's the only topic awful enough to be prefaced by a soup commercial parody.)

CANNED ANSWER FOLLOWS {ANGRY VERSION}

Is Privateer 2 part of the Wing Commander universe? It's the question so stupid that Origin actually deigned to answer it in a FAQ! Quote:

Does Privateer 2: The Darkening take place in the Wing Commander Universe?
Privateer 2: The Darkening takes place in an isolated section of the Wing Commander universe. The Tri-System is not currently a part of the Confederation.

Well, okay, that makes sense. Doesn't hurt me, doesn't hurt you. Everything sort of fits into place. Satisfied? Of course not, this is the internet! We'll ignore the Talon, the database references to Confed and the timeline relationship (this is, afterall, ANGRY VERSION) and get right to the heart of the matter:

"But, but, but, but, but! My brothers cousin's uncle's pal's friend Broddo said they just added 'Privateer 2' to sell the game! TO SELL THE GAME!"

While I of course agree that trying to sell a game is the worst of all possible sins - after all, not selling games is what made titles like Daikatana, that Derek Smart crapfest and Freespace 2 some of the most noteworthy titles of all time. Some of the most expensive and therefore best game consoles of all times were built around the concept of not selling games, accessories or even the initial units themselves. Clearly, this corporate 'sales driven' computer game culture that produced Privateer 2 could learn a lot from the Phillips CD-i.

Hotel Mario aside, there are two responses to such an idiotic claim.

Response the first: Duh.

Response the second: It's slightly more complicated than that. Privateer 2 started life as "Privateer: The Darkening", designed as a 'spinoff' of the Privateer concept. You'd have the same basic gameplay setup, but you'd have a new character, a new area of space and so on. This was developed simultaneously with another game called... Privateer 2. This Privateer 2 {Original} was to be a followup to the original, featuring Brownhair/Grayson Burrows/Etc. having new adventures in Gemini.

In late 1995/early 1996 EA decided to avoid confusion. The direct followup to Privateer would be Privateer 2, and Darkening would be sold on its merits as an interactive movie rather than as a Privateer spinoff. It became The Darkening, and was advertised as such in a Wing Commander IV insert.

Then, Chris Roberts left (or was asked to leave, depending on who you ask) Origin. With his departure died the direct Privateer followup. Let me say this in big letters so that people who are skimming this because it has too many awful jokes can see it: READ BACKWARDS SEVERAL WORDS. THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE ANGRY ABOUT. NOT HOW BRITISH THE DARKENING IS. Without a direct sequel, Darkening went back to being Privateer: The Darkening for the last several (six?) months of its development.

Okay, so far, so good. If you were a remotely reasonable person you'd have stopped caring by now. But as I already pointed out, this is the internet... so you want to know -- why add the '2'? The reason that they publically announced at the time was that in late 1996 EA had begun a campaign to rerelease modernized versions of old games: Kilrathi Saga was to be the first, followed by an Ultima pack and then the original Privateer. The claim is that the '2' was added to distinguish Privateer: The Darkening from a planned rerelease of the original Privateer.

I know, you don't believe that. But think about it: Privateer 1 was not a huge success. It's a cult hit - people still talk about it today, but it didn't sell a whole lot when such things actually mattered. There's no huge commercial value to following it with a sequel (given the law of diminishing returns assosciated with such products).

And that's the long way of saying that Privateer 2 was originally concieved and developed as a Privateer game. I mean - how can it not have been? It's the same freaking gameplay, however flawed. You can't really sell it as anything else. Look at how much people beat EA up over their budget space sim back in 1998 (Darklight? Something like that?).

(Incidentally, the re-release idea flopped. Nobody bought Kilrathi Saga, the Ultima release ended up being shovelware and Privateer never made it out. I blame everyone but me.)

And what do you think, LOAF, mightiest of all men?

Good question.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see...and you do realize that only one person commented it wasnt part of the same universe?

aside from what you might think, people may have their own opinions of how a game looks or feels, and if it is good or not based on that. Same goes to a comment that the accent made it hard to understand without subtitles (you are aware that we are not all americans/english, right?). Its not like the threat was people ranting of how the game would have looked a lot better if Kronos said 'I am your father!' and lev jumped into a bottomless pit screaming 'noooo' or something equal stupid

And about the actual question of the threat, whats the problem with the question if its really a talon? Easter Eggs or not?

What is the use in having a forum related to a game series that had had no new version in years if every time someone new showed up commenting/asking something, you basically closes it calling everyone stupid? If i didnt know you, I would look at your post and say 'that guy is an ass!'

relax, cool down and, please, do think and read before posting

- K

I see...and you do realize that only one person commented it wasnt part of the same universe?

Oh, boy, I sure am sorry for replying to that comment, then. It's almost like that's exactly how a message board works.

aside from what you might think, people may have their own opinions of how a game looks or feels, and if it is good or not based on that. Same goes to a comment that the accent made it hard to understand without subtitles (you are aware that we are not all americans/english, right?). Its not like the threat was people ranting of how the game would have looked a lot better if Kronos said 'I am your father!' and lev jumped into a bottomless pit screaming 'noooo' or something equal stupid

... weren't you just raving that I was somehow offending you by daring to reply to only one part of a bigger thread? And now you're ranting about something completely unrelated? I mean, the 'americans/english' thing is particularly awful - no one said anything remotely like that. It's like I've triggered some sort of generic foreigner rant. It's not even a good one - Americans don't understand the British accents in P2, either. How does my yelling at Ed have anything to do with... any of this?

And about the actual question of the threat, whats the problem with the question if its really a talon? Easter Eggs or not?

I don't think I commented on the initial question at all.

What is the use in having a forum related to a game series that had had no new version in years if every time someone new showed up commenting/asking something, you basically closes it calling everyone stupid? If i didnt know you, I would look at your post and say 'that guy is an ass!'

relax, cool down and, please, do think and read before posting

Sorry, hadn't realized you'd been made moderator. I'll get you your honorary bucket.

And once again you go and twise everything around

Oh, boy, I sure am sorry for replying to that comment, then. It's almost like that's exactly how a message board works.

No one said you cant reply to one comment. What I said is you generalized it calling the whole thread stupid because of one person's comment. Looks like you didnt follow my advice about reading and thinking before posting! ;)

... weren't you just raving that I was somehow offending you by daring to reply to only one part of a bigger thread?...

No, not at all. I actually mixed up the other privateer threat with this one. There is no comment on that in this thread but the other, my mistake. Wow look! see how it goes when someone can admit a mistake? No need for trying to make some sort of offense in general once again with the 'genetic foreign rant'

I don't think I commented on the initial question at all.

Thats EXACTLY my point. The threat is about that, and what you did? You posted something saying it was a whole stupid thread because of one comment, ignoring completelly the initial question (which, as you just stated, you didnt even comment about). Thanks! :p

Sorry, hadn't realized you'd been made moderator. I'll get you your honorary bucket.

Oh Im sorry, I didnt know that to give someone an advise (which is a basic one that any sane person would give) you needed a name tag saying youre a moderator. Do you go around the street giving people advices, then showing off your nametag "oh look! I can give advices cause I am a moderator!"
Life would be very interesting. Mmm... Is there a sort of police or fiscalization to be sure everyone that gives advises have to be moderators? I wonder whats the fine for giving advises without your proper identification as some forum's moderator... :(

And once again you go and twise everything around

... or maybe you're just horribly wrong? Lets investigate!

No one said you cant reply to one comment. What I said is you generalized it calling the whole thread stupid because of one person's comment. Looks like you didnt follow my advice about reading and thinking before posting!

No, I didn't. I said that the *topic* (referring to the topic I was adressing) was dumb, not the *thread*. The original thread is a topic I usually enjoy - so much that I have a neat Talon chart that I made for such occasions.

No, not at all. I actually mixed up the other privateer threat with this one. There is no comment on that in this thread but the other, my mistake. Wow look! see how it goes when someone can admit a mistake? No need for trying to make some sort of offense in general once again with the 'genetic foreign rant'

'Generic' not genetic. But it's nice to know that you mixing up threads is also somehow my fault.

(Not that your claim makes any more sense - my contribution to the other thread was simply to tell people that if they spoke Spanish there was a version of Privateer 2 with subtitles for them. Which, in my estimation, is the exact opposite of 'evil American thinks everyone speaks British!').

Oh Im sorry, I didnt know that to give someone an advise (which is a basic one that any sane person would give) you needed a name tag saying youre a moderator. Do you go around the street giving people advices, then showing off your nametag "oh look! I can give advices cause I am a moderator!"
Life would be very interesting. Mmm... Is there a sort of police or fiscalization to be sure everyone that gives advises have to be moderators? I wonder whats the fine for giving advises without your proper identification as some forum's moderator...

It's the first rule on the list, buddy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing, you still dont read it right, do you?

first...
Mmmm! You can smell the Talongratha confusion!

(That's right, boys and girls, it's the only topic awful enough to be prefaced by a soup commercial parody.)

thats your original post. It sounds to me like youre commenting on the talon discussing, in a very acid way, so yes, that was the topic you were discussing. If it wasnt your intention, you should have made it clear

But it's nice to know that you mixing up threads is also somehow my fault.

How did you manage to see me appologizing for mixing up 2 threads as saying it was your fault? You are a bit paranoid
The comment on the not admitting a mistake, if you take it as personal (as we say in brazil, 'if the hat fits you...'), maybe there is a reason

It's the first rule on the list, buddy.

So... in your own universe, created by your mind, only people who are moderators in forums (no matted what) can give people advises? Ow, guess all those shrinks and laywers and such must be arrested!
On a more forum related note, really, dont come up with that, only makes you look bad. You want to prevent people from giving plain and simple (and very sane) advises like 'please read and think before replying' and 'its a game forum, why not discuss the game'? Your a bit over on the 'power to control' thing, aint yah?

Anyway, why dont we just get back to the actual discussion of this threat?
What about that lord british mine in wc2? was that a random comment or there is actually such a thing?
And Delance, I do remember numbers, which is how I ended up with that calculations to 180 years after wc4 (I think). Ill need to check those database thingies in the game when I get the time

re: the Lord British Mine
I don't recall such a device in WC2, not even in cutscenes. The Kill Wraithy crashing in the field in U7, on the other hand, is well documented and has been seen by many people who've played the game.

re: Everything else Kalfor's posted
Gods, I've not seen anything this stupid since the last time Amerika or Joshua were making posts. Angry moderator was making angry post because this topic's been beat to death for five years already, to the point where Origin made an FAQ on the issue and the topic was beaten to death in AGWC many years back. It's like going to an Ultima fansite and asking why Ultima 8: Pagan is considered an Ultima game; it's instant flamebait.

LOAF: Thanks for banning him. I think he forgot what a Moderator was. :D

I displayed remarkable patience by allowing this to go on as long as it did. As he pointed out, I'm just making myself look bad by allowing this argument about... whatever he's raving about... go on for any longer.

He clearly has issues far removed from simple comprehension problems - six day ban.

In response to the less insane portions of this rant:

* The mine thing was, to the best of my knowledge, a joke.

* Privateer 2 takes place in 2790, which is 117 years after WCIV (109 years after WCP, etc.). The references in the database cover many historical events in both the 27th and 28th centuries.

Users may not have more than one account. Do it again and the temporary ban will become permanent.

Love,
LOAF

(Ban has been upgraded to permanent with the registration of a *third* account. Read the rules, people.)

What....again?

Maybe put up a sticky with that dreadfull, headache causing, backbreaking question about P2 being/not being a part of WC.

Put it in big bold fonts with flashing colors and a soundtrack of a Kilrathi meow along with Blair saying "We will get you home Melek" :D ROFLMAO

Hehe, I really don't have a problem arguing the is-it-or-isn't-it P2 bit. I'm fairly well armed. :) It's just that Ed *knows* all of this, so I needed an amusing sarcastic post instead of a serious point-by-point one.

Bandit LOAF said:
What are you, twelve? Chicken and Stars was great in 1996... but now that we're all grown up, it's time for a tasty can of Progresso Canned Privateer 2 Response Post!

Campbell's is great :(

But, does a chicken have lips? That's the question you should be asking yourself.

HE was yelling at ME!!! How could Kalfor steal my place!
Well, I already knew the development history of priv2 (thanx to loaf anyway)...
I was just joking, people, I don't really care if people think Anhur is close to gemeni or not, it is not that important anyway, it is like argueing that Shadowrun sucks because the USSR ended differently in RL.

I figured that the Talon in p2 was an easter egg, but if it was put there to tie up the whole thing, fine to me, more power to the talons.

BTW loaf, nice talon table, what is it supposed to inform? i.e., the numbers and different paintjobs, what are they related to?

BTW, I'm aware that priv2 speeches are hard to understand for mostly everyone, maybe even the brits... I remember complaints in a.g.w-c and in FAQs and walkthroughs.

PS> I've got nothing to do with KALFOR, and I have to say that most Cariocas (people from Rio de Janeiro) aren't arrogant and obnoxious like that. He seems to be what we call "without notion".

Edfilho said:
BTW, I'm aware that priv2 speeches are hard to understand for mostly everyone, maybe even the brits... I remember complaints in a.g.w-c and in FAQs and walkthroughs.

Im not sure how it managed to work out, but after installing P2 onto a Win95b machine and running P2 within the windows environment, and using a SB AWE 32 sound card and drivers, the movies played in stereo sound and the voices came out far better than playing P2 in Dos mode with its mono decoder.

Edfilho said:
PS> I've got nothing to do with KALFOR, and I have to say that most Cariocas (people from Rio de Janeiro) aren't arrogant and obnoxious like that. He seems to be what we call "without notion".

creysson_foto.jpg

- Great translation!! :D :D

Although I agree with you, the popular bad-side stereotype for Cariocas IS an arrogant, obnoxious, smartass dude. :D

Yes it should be...maybe others have had success with the movies using the SB 16 card and drivers, I never got the chance to test my old SB 16, it died...and I replaced it with the AWE 32.

Edfilho said:
BTW loaf, nice talon table, what is it supposed to inform? i.e., the numbers and different paintjobs, what are they related to?

The different paintjobs are from different games, situations and ships. The numbers were for identification purposes. IIRC, it was a contest posted in the news quite a while back. Hence why there's no legend.

I'm not going to look them up, so... In numerical order, Privateer 2 Talon, SWC Gratha, Privateer Retro Talon, the last two are from Privateer too, and are Militia and Pirate Talons. Don't recall which is which for sure, but the last one's more black, so it's probably the pirate one.

Back