Privateer 2 Talon

Oh, wow, I didn't think this thread could get stranger. :)

The Talons are...

1 - Privateer 2 Mystery Ship
2 - Super Wing Commander Gratha
3 - Retro Talon
4 - Militia Talon
5 - Pirate Talon

I do wonder about the Talon, purely as a historical curiosity. Why of all things was it included as the P1 reference? And how did they get the model (P2 was developed in England)? It's a mystery.

But these paint jobs do not appear at flight during p1, right? don't they all look the same ingame?

I do wonder about the Talon, purely as a historical curiosity. Why of all things was it included as the P1 reference?
LOAF, I don't know if you're joking or being ironic, but the talon is kinda obvious as a choice for reference... considering how there's at least a couple of them on 90% of the Nav points in the entire Gemeni Sector!!!

You probably kill more Talons in priv1 than Dralthis and Sarthas in wc1...

The model could have been emailed to england, you know =)
But i guess the second question was surely a joke....

Bandit LOAF said:
I do wonder about the Talon, purely as a historical curiosity. Why of all things was it included as the P1 reference? And how did they get the model (P2 was developed in England)? It's a mystery.

That's a good question. Since the paint job was different, you can't know whose Talon it was, or even if it wasn't actually a Gratha. :p

Mm, I'm really not joking. I know there are lots of Talons in Privateer 1... but it's not really a 'signature' ship. It's kind of a generic Sci Fi rocket. If you wanted something that really *said* Privateer 1, you could use one of the player ships -- or if you wanted something mysterious, you could use one of the Steltek ships. Or if you wanted something that really said WC, you'd use a Dralthi. The Talon was a weird choice.

It was probably the simplest 3d model to convert... And I do think "Talon" when I think of Priv. Thousands, many thousands of talons everywhere you go...

Edfilho said:
It was probably the simplest 3d model to convert... And I do think "Talon" when I think of Priv. Thousands, many thousands of talons everywhere you go...

It appeared to me as being a model that was built from scracth based on the older Talons, it obviously had some slight texture changes when compared to the P1 Talons. It also looked slightly larger when parking next to it, but that could also be the result of viewing a true 3d rendered model vs a sprite rendering in P1.

In P1, you can definately see the color differences between the factions' Talons. The Retro's being very bright, and the militia and pirate's Talons were somewhat darker in appearance. To me it seemed that both the militia and pirate Talons were somewhat weaker than the Retro Talons in as far as shields and armour. They also had better loadouts for guns vs the pirates and militia.

At the time it seemed to me that the Talon was a workhorse for the Gemini sector, as Edfilho pointed out, you ran into Talons left and right and at just about every nav point in the sector. Like P2's "knats", the Talons were P1's "fruit flies in space" :D

The "simplest model" part was a joke =)
funny i never noticed the difference between each faction Talons. I always depended on the comms to know which was which...

same here...always used the comm to tell who was who...
talons were everywhere...sometimes I think I've downed more of them than any other fighter..

I've found another reference to the first Privateer in P2. There is a mission where you have to protect weapons transports. There are a few cargo containers floating around, and one of them is identified as carrying meson blasters. There is no such weapon in Privateer 2.

Back