Privateer 2 Talon

Ghostcloak

Spaceman
I noticed that there was a Talon floating in space at one of the nav points. I can't remember where exactly as it has been years since I've last played Privateer II. I remember the Talon (originally from Priv. I) was in the player's guide and said to be an unknown ship and that it should be reported immediately if spotted to a tagging and ship identification agency. However, what's the deal with it really? Is there something special about spotting one or is it just and easter egg?

The guy who found the ship in U7 said that the liontiger grolwed "Kill Wrathy!" before getting killed by the Hoe of Destruction. I laughed for hours. If confed had Hoes of Destruction, the war would've been a lot shorter.

Eep!

Is that really all it was? An easter egg? I remember seeing it in the manual as an unknown ship. And I thought I remembered one of the missions referring to it as well. You know how sometimes you'd get an email for a mission? I just figured I never got an email that regarded the mission having to do with the Talon.

On a lighter note, I finally won my own copy of Kilrathi Saga. I've been bidding for several weeks now and finally got on at a decent price of 80 dollars. Whoo hoo!

yeah it's just a joke in the game . . .

While P2 exhibits a tongue-in-cheek attitude at times, the Talon (or possibly Gratha) itself certainly doesn’t fit the usual definition of an Easter egg. More to the point, why should we take the appearance of a WC fighter in the WC universe to be “just” a joke? It even constitutes a mission for which you get paid.

See that's what I thought...

Yeah I figured the fighter had something to do with a mission at some point. I just figured it was one of those missions you'd get through the emails and didn't necassarily have anything to do with the main storyline. Do you recall what the mission entailed?

I consider it an easter egg simply because it's a fighter from another game that is getting some props in another...just like the kill wrathy in U7....

The people who think Priv2 is in the WC Universe should think that Brittania is orbiting a star somewhere in the farther reaches of the galaxy... but close enough for a Kilrathi (or Kill Wrathy) ship to stumble on them.

The mission is an e-mail you get from CIS, requesting that you proceed to a Nav point to locate an immobilized ship, retrieve the pilot in an escape pod, and deliver him to CIS for interrogation. If successful, you get paid a few thousand or so credits.

Not a very good Easter egg though, IMHO. It’s much more fun to contemplate CIS’s apparent “surprise” and concern over this ship than our own.

The Tri-System is in the WC universe because EA/Origin said so (and of course it should know).

If I remember correctly, there was a Privateer-Wing Commander-Privateer2 tie-in fan fiction written several years ago; it concerned a cryo-frozen Blair returning to the late 28th century to battle a massive Steltek invasion force in the Tri-System. Of course, depending on who you ask, the apparent "death" of Blair at the end of WCProphecy may have negated it's acceptance into the canon--personally, I thought that it was a pretty neat concept because of the epic scope, and besides, I've always been a huge Privateer fan.
There's a huge "universe map" somewhere on the CIC that has the Tri-System just on the edge of the Gemini Sector, and the Britannia system somewhere out in the middle of nowhere (but fairly close to the front lines, if I remember correctly).

I tend to grimance every time I hear of a fanfic that involves crossover. Ok, so that one is not exactly a crossover, but, well, the evil steltek concept is pretty bad, especially if you think humans would be able to defeat a species that have existed thousands of years before humans evolved. I wont even comment on the 'cryo blair', especially because, if I remember correctly, he goes psyco at some point of the story for no apparent reason

I remember eons ago (when p2 came out) I worked on trying to figure out 'when' would it be in wc line. I really dont remember why, but I concluded it was at least 180 years after wc4...someday I need to get it working again to figure out why I got to that number

Back