Privateer 2 Player Ship

Frejh Mk2

Yes I remember eventually getting that ship. It wasn't the coolest looking ship available, but it did seem to have the best stats. That's one thing I love about Privateer 2 is all the choices of ships and weapons you can have. I thought the Heretic was a really cool looking ship. Good medium fighter anyway.

Sure, I was kinda sad to note that the best ships in P2 are ugly. The Centurion is pretty good looking, and so are the Rapier, Excal, Vamp...

Not that this is important anyway.

Aesthetics don't really matter in space, it's not like aerodynamics has an effect unless you're in atmosphere. :)

Wedge009 said:
Aesthetics don't really matter in space, it's not like aerodynamics has an effect unless you're in atmosphere. :)

But, who of us didn't do a double-take when the salesman bragged on the Centurion's "aerodynamic sleekness"?

It was like, "Aerodynamics isn't a factor in space . . . but it is pretty damned sleek!"

Well those ships probably did have atmospheric capabilities. And appearance does have more than technical considerations, appearance does have a psychological impact on the owner and whoever sees it. I know I would rather have a sleek, badass looking ship than one that looks like a brick or a mishmash of parts put together for functionalities sake.

HammerHead said:
Don't carry any missiles, except torpedos when you need to down a cap-ship.

When ever I played, the enemy was allways using missiles on the same level as I did, and only on rare occaitions, on level up - so if you don't carry missiles you'll only face the mk I Brute, and only on rare occations.

Missiles or no missiles, in the end you allways have to 'gun yorself out of a situation' any how - so why face these hard to evade Pythons when you can only face the occational Brute.

Missiles also put a heavy strein on your cash flow...

I never noticed that enemies' loadouts were dependant on your own. According to the guidebook, enemies' loadouts are set in response to your kill score--the more enemies you have killed, the stronger the enemies get until they max out.

I like to carry missiles mainly for emergencies--such as evening the odds when I am under intense time pressure (like having to protect somebody). Pythons are also very handy against those annoyingly nimble Skulls, which are normally hard to target.

Gosh, Skulls were really hell to hit. They were too thin...

Hey, I want my ultimate bringer of doom ship to look cool and menacing. And considering how ALL of the player ships LANDED in all kinds of PLANETS with atmosphere, it is pretty sure they had air-flight abilities.

Yes, Skulls were about the only really annoying enemies in Priv2 (not meaning that the others were all pathetic) but they looked so cool when they turned up or down. When I saw it the first time, I was really impressed.

I hated skulls. But, then again, I hated Jincillas. Wasn't really nuts about the Kiowan, either, but their cruisers kicked inordinate amounts of ass (until you put a torp in 'em)

skulls were great...I loved the design, although the first time I saw one in game I was confused as to what the hell this really thin thing was flying at me until it did a dive and I saw that it was a skull....freaky....

So Wedge, what ship/armament have you tried out?

BTW, I made a mistake in my ship list: I meant Duress instead of Aurora.

Freij Mk2 with all Kraven Mk4s (which DEMANDS the heaviest coolant-rig in known space and then some), Shield Mk3, Afterburner Mk3 and... and... Well, and whatever else you can fit on one ship, and you're golden. The thing is, that's BLOODY EXPENSIVE.

I despise Skulls. :( They really slow me down.

Over the weekend I worked myself up to a Freij Mark II plus loads of goodies. :)

Does anyone else feel as though the stats in the manual don't match with the game? The manual's stats states that the Mass Ion should give the most damage per second (aside from the Kravens), but if feels very weak to me. And the Stream Mark IIs should heat up faster than the Flux Cannon Mark II, but I found it doesn't work that way in the game.

I certainly got that impression about the Mass-Ion, don't know about the Stream Mk2 though, been too long. Discrepancies between manual and in-game isn't too rare though. :)

What were your ships in between?

Oh, I think I went through the Shaman, Karnenan, Drakkar, and Freij Mk I. I don't think I tried many others. They all look the same inside the cockpit (why is the Heretic always used in the HUDs?), and feel much the same aside from speed and manoeuvrability.

That's true but you should haven taken the Heretic once, it looks cool. :)
I think, I never used the Karnenan.

(Or did you not take it out of principle?)

I found that Freij Mark II isint all its cracked up to be....stupid prototype, the Danrik and Faldari Mark II proved themselfs in combat

Nah, Mekt, I just wanted to keep moving up the 'chain'.

The Danrik seems to have an over-inflated price for its features. I don't think the Faldari looked all that great either, but that's all according to 'paper' statistics. Which I've already found that it does not necessarily correspond to accurate depiction of in-game performance.

Ah,ok. But the Heretic is a tiny little bit up the the chain from the Drakkar IIRC. :) But I agree, not THAT much to necessarily justify the purchase of a new ship only some credits after the Drakkar. It looks cooler though. ;)

I found the Faldari Mk II to be rather good looking, too bad it was scaed down compared to the Mk I.

One thing I really liked about Priv2 were the ship designs: they were not the classic kind but looked mostly rather exotic, different from what I'v seen before. Sure, some of them are ugly but it gave the Priv2 universe a nice touch of being really in the future, regarding the other WC products. Abd those transports were at the time some of the biggest ships I'v seen in that detail.

And I can't help but when I saw the Danrik I had to think of the "Heart of Gold" from Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy".

Back