Privateer 2 Player Ship

Wedge009

Rogue Leader
I recently managed to complete my WC collection with the purchase of P2. Yay for me.

Anyway, I've been wondering what sort of ship to get eventually. I'm prepared to hang around a bit and make money before I start on the plot missions (I made several million credits in the original Privateer), and the impression I get is that the Freij is the way to go. What are people's recommendations on the player ship and armament?

I liked the Icarus with 4 mass ion cannons it reminded me a lot of a ferret only with better shields, armor, and weapons. Also I always carried a few Python missles with me incase I ever ran into any trouble which I often did :) Hope my bit of knowledge was help in your choice.

I used the Shaman till I could afford a Drakkar, and I've been scooting around in that ever since. Haven't finished yet, but I plan to some day :). As for weapons, I have 2 mass ions and 2 stream laser Mark II's. Haven't gotten to the Kraken lasers yet. I've dabbled in the other like-priced ships, but the Drakkar and Shaman seem to be the best for the money so far :)

C-ya

There are really only two top of the line ships. The Freij MKII and something I don't remember the name of (much more expensive, weaker armor, but smaller shape).
As for the start - get the Shaman ASAP - it will serve you well for half of the game. The rest is personal taste - I prefer guns over armor for example - so I go for the maximum guns in between.

I found many of Priv2 ships to be rather useless, there were only a few that were worth it.

So, I didn't like the Icraus for example. I think Aurora, Drakkar, Heretic are ship's of choice. The Freij MK II is simply the best but isn't available at the beginning. he ship cff is referring to (I guess) is the Danrik. Same as the Freij II but with less armor and 50,000 higher price. I can't remember about the Shaman except it's price (17,000).

Guns wise: Flux guns (I or II) are the best until you get the Kraven Lasers IMHO.
And personnaly, I stayed away from the Mass Ion: sure they fire fast and you don't have to buy a cooling unit but damage and range are just miserable IIRC.

Hope it was of use. Priv2 is weird but a fun game to play.

Oh, and missiles: Pythons were the best but I also carried some banshees I think. In fact, I think I changed my missile loadout quite often depending on the mission I had ahead of me. No problem since you can re-sell your stuff at the normal price.

cff said:
As for the start - get the Shaman ASAP - it will serve you well for half of the game. The rest is personal taste - I prefer guns over armor for example - so I go for the maximum guns in between.

Agreed. The Shaman is all-around superior to the Straith that you start out with, so get one as soon as you can afford it.

The Shaman has the best cost-effect ratio of the game. It is waaay underpriced... I only sell it when I have enough money to get a decent 4 gun ship. IMO, the number of guns is the real class-divider here. No 2 or 3 gun ship is as good as the Shaman, factoring price.

I made an Excell table where I assign relative values to each stat (armour, guns, speed, modules etc) and divide by the cost. The shaman wins easily...

The Danrik is a strange beast, worse than the Freij and more expensive. The Freij MkII is the best ship in the game, period. It is ugly as the devil, though.

Okay, so when does the Freij II become available? For that matter, how many things are mentioned in the manuals which aren't available immediately? And how much money will I lose in changing ships/equipment?

I'll give the Shaman a try when I have a chance.

You lose exactly NO MONEY! That's right! the buy stuff back with no devaluation. that only happens when you sell back mine and decoy packs which you used a few.

I don't know when they start selling the Freij II, but you can't really afford it earlier in the game. The Freij I is almost as good, and you get the full prie back anyway...

Wow, if there's no depreciation, then I think I'm going to try some ship switching. :) Are different ships available at different places? Because there doesn't seem to be that many ships available right now...

Hey guys, for P2 do you use Turbo?( I think that's one of the slow-down programs here) And if so, what is your ideal percentage?

Wedge009 said:
Okay, so when does the Freij II become available? For that matter, how many things are mentioned in the manuals which aren't available immediately?

A number of items are only available for purchase once you have read the associated news bulliten in the booth. Off the top of my head, these include:

Frej Mk. II fighter

Proximity Missile (double the explosive power of the Python, and fairly cheap to buy--this is a one-hit kill against most fighters, the best missile available)

Mass Ion Cannon

Afterburner Mk. III

Warp Shields (20 seconds immunity to all damage; can only use once per Nav Point)

Decoys Mk. II

BSE Mk. II

The news bullitens for these items come up more or less randomly after you have passed the first couple of missions.

One weapon, the Kraven Mk. IV laser cannon (the most powerful gun you can get, but needs a Mk. III or IV cooling system), is only available after you have completed the side mission that starts with the email from Ralph McCloud (you will recieve it randomly on Disk Two, I believe)

Don't carry any missiles, except torpedos when you need to down a cap-ship.

When ever I played, the enemy was allways using missiles on the same level as I did, and only on rare occaitions, on level up - so if you don't carry missiles you'll only face the mk I Brute, and only on rare occations.

Missiles or no missiles, in the end you allways have to 'gun yorself out of a situation' any how - so why face these hard to evade Pythons when you can only face the occational Brute.

Missiles also put a heavy strein on your cash flow...

One thing I didn't do at first was read all the news bullitens. I missed a lot at first and wasn't until I got the p2 guide was I able to realize all the cool stuff I missed. If you can, I would highly recommend one.

As for ships, I used the shaman for most of my early money making. Once I had progressed through the game I liked either the Danrik or Freji mk2. As for weapons, I liked stream laser mk2s until I got a hold of the kraven mkIV, then you really can't go wrong.

One thing I loved about priv2 was that I got paid to shoot down pirates. Granted it wasn't that much, put hey it adds up after a while. Makes me wonder how much money I would have earned in priv for shooting down pirates and retros in talons....

Interesting thing about the missiles... They aren't really useful anyway. In Priv1 they're very important (and the missiles with the best guidance system ALSO have the biggest Kaboom power, unlike other WC games).

Nice to know about the other equipment that depends on newsbulletins.

Umm, Ed...?

The "biggest Kaboom power" in Priv1 belongs to Proton torpedoes, 20cm equiv, compared to the 17cm of ImRecs and FoFs (though you are right that unlike in other WC games, dumbfires in Priv1 are weak, at 10cm, with heat seekers not too much better, at 15cm). Not only not "best guidance system", but no guidance system. :)

HammerHead said:
Don't carry any missiles, except torpedos when you need to down a cap-ship.
Thats not too realistic :(

Anyway, there seems to be a better way to down capships without too much fuss, or multiple torpedoes, especially the large ones. Torps are expensive and cut into your profits. They are also slow and can be outmaneuvered or shot down by the capital ships. I've found the best way is to pack a Banshee, a Disruptor and a torp ... lets you kill the shields (almost guarentees a one shot torp kill on all but the biggest capships) and cover fire of a ship, and lets you get in close to let loose your torp (100% chance of a hit).

C-ya

Death said:
Umm, Ed...?

The "biggest Kaboom power" in Priv1 belongs to Proton torpedoes, 20cm equiv, compared to the 17cm of ImRecs and FoFs (though you are right that unlike in other WC games, dumbfires in Priv1 are weak, at 10cm, with heat seekers not too much better, at 15cm). Not only not "best guidance system", but no guidance system. :)

Well, I was refering to the missiles, which generally exclude torps... I know the torps are more powerful. I never used them though.

So, to make myself clear: the non-torpedo missiles are as strong as they are "smart". :)

Viper61 said:
Thats not too realistic :(

Anyway, there seems to be a better way to down capships without too much fuss, or multiple torpedoes, especially the large ones. Torps are expensive and cut into your profits. They are also slow and can be outmaneuvered or shot down by the capital ships. I've found the best way is to pack a Banshee, a Disruptor and a torp ... lets you kill the shields (almost guarentees a one shot torp kill on all but the biggest capships) and cover fire of a ship, and lets you get in close to let loose your torp (100% chance of a hit).

C-ya

Now that's smart. I'll try it whenever I get the chance.

Back