Privateer 2 install blues

Not so long ago, i got a copy of privateer 2. i went to imnstall it, but i came across a problem with the sound. here are the aspects:

1. I have a new computer, the sound comes directly off the motherboard (no sound card, its incorperated into the motherboard)
2. P2 needs a sound card to install. it wont detect any sound on my computer so it wont go through install.

help please? thanks

Well, if you have the non deluxe edition and you are trying to run it on a newer operating system, its not going to work. P2 standard will only work on 95 or below. (if anyone knows otherwise, let me know!) If you have the deluxe version, I don't see why you would be having problems, unless you are running XP. Some of my older games have had sound card problems with XP. So, that might be it. So far, I have been unsucsesfull with getting them to work with sound.

In other words, if you have the std. version of P2, you need to get an older computer, like a pentium 90 or something with win 3.1 or dos to run P2 on.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Zor Prime
I can see how it could run on 98. But what about ME/2000/XP? Anybody get that to work?

What I have been able to do is use that windows millenium patch to get pure-dos mode (you hack the io.sys, command.com and some other system file). Unfortunately, for some reason, himem.sys will not load as another "mem manager" is already present, so I use a boot disk.
That is for the dos version of priv 2.

I have the windows version of priv 2, and that works on millenium fine. I have gotten it to work on XP though (but not directly.....)
Initially I installed it on my old laptop running win98. I copied the installed folder (c:\dark) to my XP machine, edited the .ini file to change the paths to the cdrom drive etc and it ran. Unfortunately though, im running an athlon 800, not great by todays standards, but it runs privateer 2 waaaaay to fast to play! Ive tried some of them slow down programs but they dont work too well. I couldnt see why doing this would not work under win2k too......

Only problem is, boot disks dont work in XP. So, I'm still playing P2 on my older machine. Its a tad bit too slow for my tastes though. It tends to slow down when ships explode. :(

Originally posted by holr

I have the windows version of priv 2, and that works on millenium fine. I have gotten it to work on XP though (but not directly.....)
Initially I installed it on my old laptop running win98. I copied the installed folder (c:\dark) to my XP machine, edited the .ini file to change the paths to the cdrom drive etc and it ran. Unfortunately though, im running an athlon 800, not great by todays standards, but it runs privateer 2 waaaaay to fast to play! Ive tried some of them slow down programs but they dont work too well. I couldnt see why doing this would not work under win2k too......

The Standar ot Dexule one????

sorry about that.

my motherboard is a MSI 825 (or something) motherboard, i have the original P2 and i am using pure dos to run it (i have windows 98 tho).
the real killer is the fact that the PC doesnt have a sound card. The sound runs directly off the motherboard. it is relatively new, so it shouldnt need a sound card. all the options in the p2 install doesnt work. everything i do says "detection failed"

the DW Johnl12 listed, would that work for a computer whos sound comes directly off the motherboard? (the sound works properly, not crappy PC speakers)

thanks

I just check MSI site and can't find a MSI 825 MB. I saw a 815 and a 845. This company uses like six difference sound chips. You need to be exact on which MB you have.
Here's their web site.
http://www.msi.com.tw/support/driver/onboard_sound_driver.htm

Check the Device Manager and see if you have something like a SB 16 Emulation or SBLink. P2 isn't design to work with DirectX sound. If you do have SB 16 Emulation we can get P2 to play in windows via a DOS box. No bootdisk require.

Originally posted by 15th Rampage

The Standar ot Dexule one????

I think the windows version is the deluxe one, the one that works with directx and all that. The original trouble I had with XP (and hence why i had to use that workaround) was that on installing it the game kept telling me insufficient disk space, when i had about 3 gig on the machine.

Regarding the standard one, i havent played that version. Perhaps you could get it to work in xp using the dos sound emulation ( that the other chap mentioned on this thread - cant remember the name).

Originally posted by Zor Prime
Only problem is, boot disks dont work in XP. So, I'm still playing P2 on my older machine. Its a tad bit too slow for my tastes though. It tends to slow down when ships explode. :(

Have you thought of dual-booting your xp machine? Running win95 or 98 alongside it, with the boot menu at start up time so that you can still play priv2? I dual boot my xp machine with win95, so I can play priv 1 and a couple other dos only games.

Thats a good idea, but my hard drive isnt too big. Thats the only problem. I might try it anyways just to see if it can work.

Just to make sure it's understand I was refering to the DOS version of P2. P2 will work in Windows via a DOS box. But it needs SB 16 Emulation. Plus the DOS version doesn't run fast.

its the MSI mainboard intel 845 chipset. it is a custom job PC.

i tried to run it in pure dos mode... but i dont think dos based games like the idea of runing beside windows...

The chipset doesn't help. I need to know the model # of the MB. It will be on the MB. Please make it easier to help you. Check the Device Manager to see if you have SB16 Emulation. I feel I need to remember you that this is a fan base web site. No one here gets paid to help you. We do this because we like too. I am helping four people right now.

Installing Privateer 2 DOS version to work in Win9x DOS box.

First for this to work you must have SB Emulation installed.
If you haven't already done so download the P2 patch: https://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml#wcpriv2. This patch will only work for the DOS version of P2.

Do not let the game install via the Auto-play feature. Explore the CD and right click on the "install.exe" file. Choose Properties, then the Program tab > Advanced button. Make sure that only the "Prevent MS-DOS-based programs from detecting Windows" box is check. Now double click on the "install.exe" to install the game. The P2 configuration screen should load. Configure everything as normal. Uses P2's auto-detect program to configure your Sound Card and Music Card settings. When the installation has completed, copy the P2 patch to the C:\DARK directory and retract it.

To install the patch file run the "Patch.bat" file. Once that is done right click one the "dark.exe" choose "Copy", next right click on the Desktop and choose "Paste Shortcut". Now right click shortcut icon you had just created and like before choose Properties, then the Program tab > Advanced button. Make sure that only the "Prevent MS-DOS-based programs from detecting Windows" box is check. You can now play P2 in windows by using this icon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back