Privateer 2 Crash

Privateer 2 crashing HELP!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT!!! I ran into another problem...the ALT key on the keyboard is not working. I hear a BEEP sound when I press it. I was trying to go into nav map and options via space but no response other than the ablility to ALT Tab back to windows xp. Is there a way to fix the key bindings in Priv 2? Perhapse windows?

The beep sounds like a Windows thing.. just rebooting should set that back up to the default.

Same problem with Windows version. It crashes on takeoff. I had it working before on my machine, but I had a hard drive crash and had to reinstall everything. Maybe the new ati drivers are the problem. Has anyone solved this problem? I tried installing the dos version with dosbox It crashes when I try to detect the midi get a iff? file not found error and dosbox crashes.

Thank You

I had the crash at launch problem as well. I have a Radeon X700 (PCIX version) so it gives me the flexibility to use very old drivers. I backtracked to the Catalyst 4.11 (sometime in 2004) drivers which have support for the X700 and it works. The sound is a little scratchy, but at least I can play the game. It seems the newer ATI drivers have issues with Privateer 2.

I guess if you have an X1x00 you can try the oldest drivers which support them, but I'm not sure you'll have success. Try it anyway though. I'm glad I did.

I have the DOS version of Privateer 2 with the Windows 95 patch.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 90nm
ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 SLI
1GB DDR400 3-3-7
Audigy 2 - I wonder if it'd help the scratchy sound if I use older drivers for this too
Radeon X700 256MB PCIX

Hope this helps.

----
Jason

Same problem here: Win XP Home
Dos version patched to Windows version, I tryed the win 95 and win 98 compatibility, but everytime I try to leav the first Planet the game crashes

I tried installing the dos version with dosbox It crashes when I try to detect the midi get a iff? file not found error and dosbox crashes.

I'm not sure what you mean there. Is this during the installation screen? Did you try doing the manual setup with port 330?

Same problem here: Win XP Home
Dos version patched to Windows version, I tryed the win 95 and win 98 compatibility, but everytime I try to leav the first Planet the game crashes

This thread has a bunch of other suggestions to try. Have you done any of those? I'd personally recommend going with DOSBox if you have the DOS version to begin with. https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#p2

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear com,

my system:

Mein System:

Informationsliste Wert
Computer
Betriebssystem Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0)

Motherboard
CPU Typ AMD Athlon XP-A, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Name ASRock K7S8XE+ (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Motherboard Chipsatz SiS 748
RAM 512 MB
BIOS Typ AMI (04/27/04)

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
3D nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Monitor Plug und Play-Monitor [NoDB] (98)

Multimedia
Soundkarte SiS 7012 Audio Device

Harddisc
IDE Controller SiS PCI-IDE-Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID-Hostcontroller
Festplatte SAMSUNG SV1204H (120 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Festplatte Maxtor 6Y080P0 (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optisches Laufwerk AOPEN DUW1616/ARR
Optisches Laufwerk HW1640P JCN832T SCSI CdRom Device

Partitionen
C: (NTFS) 20002 MB (14130 MB frei)
D: (NTFS) 39997 MB (36439 MB frei)
E: (NTFS) 54493 MB (32041 MB frei)
K: (FAT32) 78140 MB (63138 MB frei)

Okay, as you can see - I still own a disc with FAT32, this disc runs with Win98, but this is not important.

I was usinig 1,5 Gig of ram and the P II don't work on XP, BUT THEN I CHANGED SOME THINGS.

Reduced my ram down to 512 MB...

and: the game works fine! On XP! Without DosBox or stuff like that...

Deacan

crash on launch

I am getting the same crash. I can move around the first planet without a problem but I get an application error upon launch, immediately after the little launch warmup screen.

I'm using the deluxe edition of the game with only the slowdown patch installed. My system is:
Athlon X2 4200+
ATI x1900xt
2gigs DDR
Soundblaster Audigy2
Windows XP Professional (service pack 2).

I have so far tried the following:
Settings win95 compatibility mode
Turning off direct3d in dxdiag
Turning off all graphical and sound settings in the game
Setting other compatibility settings (run in 256 colors, disable visual themes, etc).
Setting processor affinity so that the game isn't confused by dual core.

I have done all combinations of those things, trying them all at the same time, one at a time, 2 of them at once, etc. (yes, it took a very long time).

I have found a fair number of reports on this error, but no solution. The thing I notice though is that all reports of hardware for users having this issue show that they are using AMD processors and ATI video cards.

My next step is to try some third party drivers for the x1900xt in case it is the video card that is causing the problem, I will let you know how that works.

I was usinig 1,5 Gig of ram and the P II don't work on XP, BUT THEN I CHANGED SOME THINGS.

Reduced my ram down to 512 MB...

and: the game works fine! On XP! Without DosBox or stuff like that...

How did you reduce your ram? Physically remove the chips? You also said "things" plural - did you make any other changes?

I am getting the same crash. I can move around the first planet without a problem but I get an application error upon launch, immediately after the little launch warmup screen.

I'm using the deluxe edition of the game with only the slowdown patch installed. My system is:
Athlon X2 4200+
ATI x1900xt
2gigs DDR
Soundblaster Audigy2
Windows XP Professional (service pack 2).

I have so far tried the following:
Settings win95 compatibility mode
Turning off direct3d in dxdiag
Turning off all graphical and sound settings in the game
Setting other compatibility settings (run in 256 colors, disable visual themes, etc).
Setting processor affinity so that the game isn't confused by dual core.

I have done all combinations of those things, trying them all at the same time, one at a time, 2 of them at once, etc. (yes, it took a very long time).

I have found a fair number of reports on this error, but no solution. The thing I notice though is that all reports of hardware for users having this issue show that they are using AMD processors and ATI video cards.

That's a good observation, and it does seem like that tends to be the case. Back when the game was new, there was broad incompatibility with the Rendition Verite 3D accelerators, and I don't think any sort of patch or newer version addressed that.

There may also be other programs running in the background that could be causing a conflict. Did you try to shut down as much as possible? I would also make sure you are booting with the first disc, if you aren't already, and also disable video transitions. Beyond disabling them in the game, have you tried disabling them in your Windows Display properties? Try turning off stuff like FSAA and especially any ATI-specific effects. Also make sure accelerations are turned down for both sound and video. Check both dxdiag and the control panels. Did you also try copying things like sets.iff from the disc to the P2 directory?

Hello all. I too am having crash issues when trying to enter into space. My specs are: Win XP SP 2, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2 GB RAM, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 and NVIDIA GEForce 6600 with 93.71 drivers. I am running the Deluxe edition. Sound and video are otherwise fine. I have tried the previous suggestions without success. Thanks.

I have tried the previous suggestions without success. Thanks.

There's so many listed here that it would help if you actually listed out what you have specifically done (and there's not much else we can suggest beyond what all is in this thread already). A number of times we've found things people have missed when they've claimed to have tried all suggestions.

How did you reduce your ram? Physically remove the chips? You also said "things" plural - did you make any other changes?

My idea was this: back in 96, wenn P II hit the markets, the base system was Win 95 or DOS.

Even the Win-patch for the dosversion of the game just use Win 95/98... and both systems only work fine with a max. of 512 MB RAM...

So, I remove 1 Gig of Ram and I set the "swamp" - size of Win XP on a level lower than 500 megs...

No compatiblity mode is on, no slow down of my system, no changes of my screen resolution.

And the game (patched version, Dos -> Windows) runs fine. no speed problems, no problem with my stick (USB), sound is fine.

Deacan

I just got Privateer 2 Deluxe Edition and i'm having the same problem as everybody else. When i go to fly the game crashes. I can't get off the first planet. I have tryed messing with directx, compatibility modes, the slow-down patch, and even changing the controls in setup. Nothing seems to work. Please if you can help. Also what is up with the forums lately. I keep getting the pages reloading a bunch of times before finally stoping.

Well, the same problem... When i use "dos-to-win" patched disk, i have crash when i try to leave the planet. Compatiblity mode doesn't help.

When i use dosbox with patch, the game locks up after the answer to bartender ( And in a fullscreen mode in movies parts of the screen flash white periodically =\

I'm having this same problem as well. I have a P4 1.6 GHz, 640 MB ram, ATI Radeon 9550 video card. I have the Dos version. When I run the game in Dosbox, it crashes at the first cutscene with the bartender. When I patch the game and run it in Windows (in both Win95 and Win98 compatibility), the game crashes when I try to leave the planet. Oddly enough, the game worked before when I had an NVidia Riva video card (that no longer works- the fan died and the damn thing melted). I have an older card at home that I can try when I go home again. Does anyone have any idea how to solve the problem with an ATI video card? Thanks.

Update...

I was able to get the game to run using DosBox .65 instead of .70. It's not the smoothest, but it works (and as I figure out all these options in DosBox I can probably get it to run a little better). I'm still not sure why it no longer works in XP- it has to be the video card, as that's the only thing that has changed on my system between the fall (when it worked) and now.

I had the crash at launch problem as well. I have a Radeon X700 (PCIX version) so it gives me the flexibility to use very old drivers. I backtracked to the Catalyst 4.11 (sometime in 2004) drivers which have support for the X700 and it works. The sound is a little scratchy, but at least I can play the game. It seems the newer ATI drivers have issues with Privateer 2.

Can you tell me where i can download the 4.11 drivers? I have an X800 video card and the earliest one i can download on the ATI site is 6.9.

Cheers

Rich

ati

Hello

I think the problem of the crash when leaving the plant came from the ati grafikkart.
I test it on my other system nvidia gforce and there it works fine.

I hope this can help you all

Hello

I think the problem of the crash when leaving the plant came from the ati grafikkart.
I test it on my other system nvidia gforce and there it works fine.

I hope this can help you all

No, not really! Because lacking another graphic card I can't just switch.

Does anybody know what the earliest catalyst version was that supported the x1xxx series?

Back