Privateer 2 Crash

U

Unregistered

Knowledgable Ones...

I seek thy wisdom...

I've installed the patches for Priv2,
and the game actually works now...up to a point.
I can go anywhere on the first planet, do all the stuff..
but when I go into space to leave the planet, (ie into the
simulation) the game crashes.
I've run it in DOS-prompt, and straight from my desktop.
I do not have DOS Box. I am using Windows XP Home.
Ideas, comments, suggestions?
Am I missing something hugely obvious?
Thanks!

Yitz

There's a lot of ways to go about this, and I'm not exactly sure what your setup is. Do you have the DOS or the Windows version? It sounds like DOS. Do "the patches" include the DOS to Windows upgrade? http://perli.net/projekte/privateer2win95/ Either way, you should definitely be going into the Properties of the main executable and enabling Windows 95 compatibility mode. DOSBox is also a good way to try and run it. It should be more stable there.

I got him to download the DOS-Win95 patch, however I didn't realise about the comptability mode (I currently am without a copy myself)

guys,

I did get the compatability mode switched to Win 95...
but now the program "Skips" the music, the mouse, everything.
I might also add, that I have the Deluxe Edition...which is
what the patch claims it updates the old version to.
I havent run the patch (the one where you burn the CD) yet
based on the fact that I already HAVE the deluxe edition.
Either way, the game still crashes while going into space..
Imma try running it with DOS Box, but I must confess I've
never used DOS Box before.
Will let you know how it goes, any more advice or ideas,
or corrections at this point is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Yit

If you have the deluxe edition, then you should not apply the DOS patch or DOS to Windows upgrade. Also, if you have the Windows version, DOSBox won't help you. It sounds like problem relates to some sort of hardware conflict. It's possible you're using an onboard sound card or incompatible video adapter.
You can avoid some crashes by disabling Video Transitions in the Options menu (Alt-O in the game).

You can also prevent some crashes, lockups, and video problems by disabling DirectX 3D acceleration in the DXSETUP program. You might also be able to avoid problems by turning down your hardware acceleration. To adjust your hardware acceleration:

Click on the Windows 95 'START' button, then on 'Settings', then on 'Control Panel'.
Double-click on the 'System' icon in this window, then click on the 'Performance' tab at the top.
Click on the 'Graphics' button and then adjust your hardware acceleration to 'None'.
Click on 'OK', then on 'Close', and let Windows 95 restart your machine.
When you are back up to Windows 95, try to run the game.

P2 dosbox prob

Hi guys,

I'm having the same trouble as Yitz. Not sure if he ever got it working in the end.

I tried to do the Win patch and burn the CD, but the game froze each time I wanted to take off. I even tried the win 95 compatibility thing...no luck. (I'm using Win XP btw)

So I tried DosBox. Seems I had to completely re-install the game, since I can't run the previous Win file with DosBox. So I do a new install and run the game thru DosBox. Now I get the error that says :

Privateer 2 Fatal Error - setstreamspeed - movies\origin.tgv File is too small to estimate data streams

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
-Sam

When attempting to land, I often receive a message which reads "Privateer 2 fatal error-set stream speed- movies\<A filename>.tgv FILE IS TOO SMALL TO ESTIMATE DATA STREAM SPEED" What causes this?

Privateer 2: The Darkening has a problem on some machines which causes the game to crash when starting from either CD # 2 or CD # 3. The patch will correct this, just download it and install it as described above.

I'm not sure that's actually the problem above. It looks like your CD-ROM might not be mounted as such. Did you use the "-t cdrom" switch in DOSBox?

Same Error

Hi,

I have been playing P2 again and I have been using it on both a win2000 and XP home. On the XP home op it was running fine until my whole pc crashed.

Now I use my win2000 laptop and the game runs fine until I try and land on Crius or another planet (can't remember the other planet) and then the game crashes and I get booted back to windows.

I have the original DOS based CD's, with the win patch. After I appiled the win patch, I just click the dark.exe and away I play... until the landing on planet issue!

Is there a fix for win2000 problems?

Thanks

Are you running in compatibility mode?

Some landing crashes can be solved by copying sets.iff off the disc and into the game's directory.

In WinXP Home I was using compatibility mode, but now in win2000 I am not. I do not think there is a compatibilty mode in win2000.

I tried copying that file ... it had no effect.

There is a compatibility mode in Windows 2000.

To enable compatibility mode:

1. Make sure you are running SP4 with the latest version of everything (drivers and directx).
2. If you have not yet, run this command in start > run: regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll
3. Create a shortcut to the file you want to run
4. Bring up the shortcut's properties (right-click menu) and enable Windows 95 compatibility mode (which will now be enabled from the above step)
5. Run the program *using the shortcut*

So you need an updated 2K, you have to turn on compatibility mode via command line entry, and then you can only enable compatibility mode via a shortcut link.

Hey,
I did not know that about win200. I applied the compatibility mode, now the sound and game play is choppy, when it was not before. Also this did not solve the problem of landing on some planets.

The actual error I get is:
"The instruction at 0043e7b6 referenced at 00dd96d6. The memory could not be read from."

Did you try disabling the DirectX acceleration?

Have you tried playing it as the stock DOS product in DOSBox? That would probably be a lot more stable all-around on a Windows 2000 machine.

I am getting a new system in two weeks to replace my XPhome machine.
Hopefully I have more luck with the new system compared to my work laptop.

At this point it might be best to wait for that. If at all possible, I'd try to avoid Windows 2000 for this sort of thing. DOSBox is also still another option.

privateer 2 crashing HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not leave the first planet. the screen that shows the in ship system check shows then i crash. Game starts fine, sound is a little chopy when i talk to the bartender. the two option i am given "sounds illegal..." and "maybe i can get a deal..."(something like that) otherwise sound in fine. I have the deluxe version I purchased off ebay. Game crashes when I try to leave the planet. I have applied the slowdown patch. I tried some of the fixes listed earlier but nothing helped. I tried reinstalling directx as well. I am running windows xp home with sp2 and all updated drivers. here are my system specs. asrock dualsata 939 motherboard, amd 3700 socket 939 cpu, 1024 mb pc 3200 ddr 400, 500 watt ps, ati 1900 gt pcie 256 gddr, 2 120 gb hds, creative audigy se(didn't like the onboard sound), saitek st290pro joystick usb, logitech z-530 5.1 speakers, sharkboard keyboard by game shark, hp optical mouse, micro innovations web cam(think it is model 50), lite-on dvdr, belkin wireless g network adaptor, and dell ccr monitor. i tried setting compatability mode to 95, tried disableing video transition, tried running in 256 mode, disableing theme, lowering hardware acceleration from full all the way to none(one notch at a time) which yeilded the game not starting at all(just a black screen.) help!!!!!!!!! I never finished the game the first time I had it way back in the day. I MUST FINISH IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you try both 95 and 98 compatibility mode? Did you do both south and video acceleration adjustment? If that stuff doesn't work, there must be something else causing the conflict. Could be as minor as the joystick or webcam, could be something more difficult to disable. Could just be a software program running in the background causing a conflict.

Privateer 2 crahing HELP!!!!!!!!

I really don't have a problem with the sound. I have not advanced far enough to see any other problems with it. It is getting off the planet I need to work on. I think it could be a video problem. I checked direct x and everything seems compatible. I am going to try a different video card....a little older. I really hope it will work. The only programs I have running are- ati catalyst controller, EZ anitvirus, belkin wireless network connection, and the regular crap windows xp runs to suck up my memory.

Privateer 2 crashing HELP!!!!!!!!!

I reinstalled privateer 2 and installed the slowdown patch. Did not do anything else. Tried it with my x1900 GT had the same problem bot being able to leave the planet. I put in my old card which in a Chaintech Volari V3(it is the chaintechs version of an overclocked geforce 4) and the game seems to run fine. I have not played enough to see if the sound has issues but for the few minutes i flew around the first planet all seemed well. Is there any way that the x1900 gt can be fixed? pretty bad that a good card cannot run an ancient game? privateer is not the only game I play and switching cards and installing drivers will take a toll on my system...guess i have to make a choice...

Back