Post-war politics

The Nevada class, along with many dreadnoughts up to the Tennessee class had the secondary battery built into the main deck and superstructure. These emplacements were essentially an advanced version of a gun port. They were called casemates. The old BBs had a battery of 5"/51 SP weapons for anti-destroyer work and deck mounted 5"/25 DP (single) or 3"/50 DP. All these were later replaced by the standard WWII 5"/38cal DP, some of which were mounted in dual turrets.

Just as a side note, prior to WWII many of the hull mounted casemate guns were removed and filled in. The superstructure 5"/51's remained until later.

In the Pearl Harbor Attack of 7 December 1941, the only significant damage to the USS Pennsylvania (then in drydock) was a bomb that had penetrated the armor of one of the superstructure casemates.

Attachments

• nevada01.jpg
    nevada01.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 99
Maj.Striker said:
The Oklahoma class had turrets below the hull???

No. I meant the Plunketts have a similar profile to the Nevadas above and below its centerline.

Dragon1 said:
The Kilrathi central command (I believe) was in the Pasqual system. Could it be that the Clans were secretly building a force to retake their empire?

I don't think the Kilrathi forces at Pasqual were particularly strong, given they barely had enough firepower to defend themselves from random pirates on WCIV, and had to rely on the BW militia for safety.

That official post-war body of government of the Kilrathi sounds pretty much harmless. There are lots of other Kilrathi that are more dangerous, but not a real threat to the triumphant Confederation, which seems to have become a superpower like the post-cold war US.

Maj.Striker said:
The Oklahoma class had turrets below the hull???

Well, sort of ... the turrets (sponsons, really; they were only capable of broadside fire) were too close to the waterline and in heavy seas (which on the ocean is a given) were virtually useless, to say nothing of being completely incapable of long-range and AA fire. Most modernized battleships put the secondary armament in turrets mounted on the main deck.

I think the real problem here is that nobody seems to really understand what "hull" means. Nor "centerline."

Anyway, what's the deal with those Nevadas? Part of being a dreadnought style battleship is not having a secondary battery. They're covered in short-range guns.

Anyway, what's the deal with those Nevadas? Part of being a dreadnought style battleship is not having a secondary battery. They're covered in short-range guns.

All Battleships, pre or post HMS Dreadnaught, carried a secondary battery. The difference is that the pre-Dreadnoughts carried a large caliber secondary battery to be used against primary objectives. This is not the case with Nevada-class or any other Dreadnought (BB built post 1906). The secondary battery here was a light "Single Purpose" gun, not designed to attack long-range targets.

The SP battery was meant for dealing with high speed "torpedo-boat destroyer" attacks at near close range. The casemated gun was essentially a point-defence gun to be used against other ships that got too close. It is in no way similar to the large caliber secondary battery of the pre-Dreadnoughts.

Compare the last pre-Dreadnought the US built to the first Dreadnought....

USS New Hampshire
Length: 456'4"
Displacement: 16,000 tons
Armament: 12" (4)
8" (8)
7" (12)
3" (20)
1-pounders (2)
21" torpedo tubes (4)

USS South Carolina
Length: 450'
Displacement: 16,000 tons
Armament: 12"/45cal (8)
3"/50cal (22)
3" AA (2 added in 1917)
1-pounders (4)
21" torpedo tubes (2)

* Notice that the South Carolina still has a secondary battery, the 3"/50, but that it is not the heavy 8" or 7" guns mounted in turrets off the centerline that the pre-Dreadnought had.

* The 5"/51 SP was the direct replacement for the 3"/50 when it was deemed that the latter gun could take out torpedo-boats, the development of the larger TB-Destroyer required a heavier emplacement.

Bandit LOAF said:
This is a reference to the Mantu, who are known to the Confederation in 2681.

Ehh...
I think I missed something here... when did the Confed got more information about the Mantu?

In Prophecy/Secret Ops? Quotes please?

regards,
Alex

Back