Popular science fiction phases

My problem is that William Shatner's book, "The Return" brought himself back to life and and then killed all the Borg. Then First Contact came out and he was obviously still dead and all the Borg were still alive.

Read "Avenger." The attack on Earth in First Contact was a retaliation against the Federation for blowing up the Borg homeworld in "The Return."

And the Borg are bigger than one homeworld, IMHO.

Re: More than one Borg queen...

Maybe. The one in First Contact was killed at the end, then another one popped up in Voyager, then, strangely enough, the one from First Contact returned in the Voyager series finale....

Re: Crazy Star Wars fans...

Yes, hard-core SW fans are crazy... and idiots. I'm a SW fan, but I'm not like some of these folks that are saying crap like, "Attack of the Clones is a stupid title! I'm gonna petition George Lucas to change it [like my opinion matters!] and then boycott the Prequel Trilogy!" Bah! :mad:

Originally posted by jammyo2k
Going back to the original post...

Has anyone read the Night's Dawn Trilogy (The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist and The Naked God) by Peter F Hamilton? It's a little scary in size (3.4 million words, the term 'space opera' applies) but it has to be one of the finest SF books ever written. One race featured in the trilogy are a massive collection of people who use bitek, genetically engineered biological machines. They call themselves the Edenists and are probably the nearest thing the books have to 'good guys'. Anyway, not all the races who use biological machines are evil and they are a fine set of books. The US editions are split up into more books.

i only got reality dysfunction part 1 and neutronium alchimest part 1 :(

Originally posted by Dougie
BTW anyone else here love Freedom Flight? I thought it captured WC1 feel absolutely flawlessly. Good background for the game too. I reckon FF doesn't get the accolades it deserves. End Run definitely my favourite though.

Yes, I do. I think I like it best from all WC novels.
But I like End Run least...

Yeah, too hero-y, right?

FF was never one of my favorites. I mean, I like it better than the WC3/4 novelizations, but I'd rather read FA, ER, FC, or AC. I like my stories hero-y.

I thought FF was pretty good. I defaintly thought it was the most "WC-ish" of all the books. It had less of a dark feeling to it, and was more of a "fun" novel.

FA I think is still my favorite.

And actually i'm in the middle of ER right now, and it's really not impressing me. Perhaps there's just been alot of hype, but so far it's not spectacular. I'm sure it'll get alot better in the end though.

another off topic one...

I, Jedi good? :D

IMHO the book is one of the worst! If you read Jedi Academy series first, then I Jedi, they make Corran Horn the hero like he saves everybody and solves everything, plainly is just the hero of the whole series.

Can't say I disliked the 1st persone style though.

Justwanted to say this.

iMZ

-----------------
Dutch, Star Wars Fanatic,

and PROUD! :D

My problem with the Star Wars books isn't the quality of them, but the fact that they (in my opinion) are absolutely nothing like Star Wars.

They've seperated themselves so much from the original Star Wars movies so much as to be unrecognizable -- the story of how light-master Kiff Drugan fought the Zooarkian hoards just doesn't make sense (Please, let me have made up those proper nouns...).

Star Trek novels, however, often have the opposite problem -- an obessive small-universe mentality. The authors seem to have to throw 3,219 references to things from the various series' on each page. I don't care that whatever situation reminds Picard of the time he fought a lizard-man on Cestus III... and on and on and on.

A lot of the ST novels do an okay to great job of getting the original characters right, and I enjoy them for that. (Exception: Forstchen's TNG book! What the hell was that? The entire TNG crew became Forstchen character clones... <G>)

I agree with LOAF, the original Star Wars (movies) had a general plot and storyline flowing between them... but the novels just seems to go off in all different directions, effectively leading nowhere.
In the end they really all just end up with everything at the beginning how they were without actually having to be events that happened in the Star Wars universe.

From what I understand, Fleet Action ties into WC, bridging a gap between the games... somewhat like Shadows of the Empire. However, neither drastically affect the overall outcome.

Fleet Action is oddly essential to the WC storyline... since it explains why the war is suddenly being lost in WC3 <G>

I wouldn't mind the Star Wars stories if they were more simply adventures with the cast of the movie... like, dare I say it, the old Marvel comics.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Fleet Action is oddly essential to the WC storyline... since it explains why the war is suddenly being lost in WC3 <G> (...)
Mmmmhhh... but don't we already get that impression from SO1 and SO2?
I mean after all, when you finish the campaign victoriously, you see an ending cut-scene with the Kilrathi showing you that in fact, the whole thing was just a diversion of the Cats to strike on a more important target...
(e.g. Enigma Sector after saving Ghorah Khar in SO1)

So Fleet Action is not really necessary for that purpose... :)

These new Star Trek Section 31 books are pretty good. I read the TNG "Rogue", and I just got and am alittle ways into TOS "Cloak". They're pretty good, even if they are really long fan fics. However, I don't thing the DS9 or Voyager ones look particularly intresting, because we actually did see Section 31 in DS9, and the Voyager novel concentrates on Seven of Nine.

About WC: I thought FA did do a good job of explaining why we were suddenly loosing. In SO1 and 2, I didn't really think it was us loosing, just the Kilrathi had a plan. In WC3, we are no doubt loosing badly.

How are the Section 31 books fan fiction? The Strange New Worlds series is definitely fan fiction, but not the Section 31 books.

Speaking of ST books, there's a new one by Greg Cox that looks interesting. It goes back to the 1970s and tells the story of Khan Noonien Singh. Speaking of Khan, did Ricardo's fake chest in ST II disturb anyone else? ;)

I'd have to agree with you guys when you say the SW novels are drastically different than the movies. I mean, you see less of Luke, Han, and Leia as the books go on. It's all the Solo kids and Mara Jade. Not that there's anything terrible about that, but I'd just like to see more of the original, core characters, as I'm sure many SW fans do.

One of the things leading to this problem, IMHO, is the fact that authors create their own characters and get attached to them. Like Mara and Talon for Tim Zahn, and Corran for Mike Stackpole. I mean, we haven't seen Lando for about seven books. Whatever.

going back to the topic.....yet again

One of my favorite Sci-Fi series (a trilogy, actually) of all time has to be the Giants novels. I have yet to meet someone else who has read them, yet they are incredible. Very well written, not too action oriented, but enough to keep you happy. They are very detailed technology wise, and are pretty deep. I recommend them to anyone who wants to read Sci-Fi that's a little more serious then Trek or SW. Also, even though they were written at the same time as SW, they are much more realistic, and don't borrow any of the same concepts- which is nice, cause the cliches get old after awhile ;). I think the author is James Hogan.

Originally posted by Dralthi5
How are the Section 31 books fan fiction? The Strange New Worlds series is definitely fan fiction, but not the Section 31 books.

Speaking of ST books, there's a new one by Greg Cox that looks interesting. It goes back to the 1970s and tells the story of Khan Noonien Singh. Speaking of Khan, did Ricardo's fake chest in ST II disturb anyone else? ;)

How are the Section 31 books fan fiction? ALL of the ST books are fan fiction. Even the tech manuals are quasi-fan fiction. Granted, some of the books a very good, but they are still fan fiction, in novel form.

And I did see that new Eugenics Wars book. I thought about picking it up, but saw TOS "Cloak" and decided to get that instead. Looks pretty cool. I might have to go out and get that one too.

Originally posted by Zim
I, Jedi good?
IMHO the book is one of the worst! If you read Jedi Academy series first, then I Jedi, they make Corran Horn the hero like he saves everybody and solves everything, plainly is just the hero of the whole series.
Hmm, never thought of it that way. But I liked Corran Horn and Stackpole's books from the start, so maybe I have a biased opinion. But you have to admit that Luke guffed up pretty bad in setting up the Academy (Praxeum? Eww, awful word). And I, Jedi wasn't centred on the Academy, it was just to establish that Corran went through most of the training which was necessary to allow him to infiltrate the Invids.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
My problem with the Star Wars books isn't the quality of them, but the fact that they (in my opinion) are absolutely nothing like Star Wars.

They've seperated themselves so much from the original Star Wars movies so much as to be unrecognizable -- the story of how light-master Kiff Drugan fought the Zooarkian hoards just doesn't make sense (Please, let me have made up those proper nouns...).
You're right about the bit how they deviate from the movies. Which is why I like the books closer in timeline to the movies. Before NJO started, books 'farther' away from the movies tended to be very weird. But I don't understand what you're saying in the second paragraph.

Originally posted by Dralthi5
One of the things leading to this problem, IMHO, is the fact that authors create their own characters and get attached to them. Like Mara and Talon for Tim Zahn, and Corran for Mike Stackpole. I mean, we haven't seen Lando for about seven books. Whatever.
That's true, but I like how Zahn and Stackpole work together to bring their characters together (especially where we find out how Iceheart gets her father removed from office). But I also didn't like how Corran Horn suffered such an ignominious personal defeat in Stackpole's last Star Wars novel (for now), most likely because he didn't want anyone else to carry on with the character.

But isn't Lando kicking around in a few novels?

Oh, I also think the books are the way they are to try to prove that they can be enjoyable even without most of the main characters from the movies.

"Re: More than one Borg queen...

Maybe. The one in First Contact was killed at the end, then another one popped up in Voyager, then, strangely enough, the one from First Contact returned in the Voyager series finale.... "

i also seem to remember something in first contact about picard thinking that the queen was dead, then she said something like "you are thinking too four dimensionally" (i haven't seen the movie in a long time so i'm probably a bit off) implying that there is one queen who can somehow come back.

Well since the Borg are a collective and everyone knows the same things as everyone else then they could easily create a new Borg queen whenever the last one is killed. No big deal.

Back