Popular science fiction phases

agree re: Anderson and Jeter. Read Rusch though. One novel, but class. And Zahn and Stackpole wrote enough novels between them to make the EU a cool thing. Amazed you like Perry though. I thought some of his writing made me want to gag (page 42 I think, about them 'all liking luke').
Also don't forget the EU games are partially wicked too.

plus i did read a large number of the novels when i was 12-15, so my standards may have been considerably lower.

Will give it a shot. I just finished buying the WC novel series for the second time. :)

Whether Lucas declares the novels to be canon or not, I'll only disregard them if I see a direct contradiction from the movies. And I have yet to see any conflicts there. But I'm not touching the Episode 1/2/3 era books. Not yet, anyway.

I didn't think Wolverton was so bad. I liked the way he put the tension back in between Han and Leia.

Now, if only the WC novels were even a quarter as widespread as the SW novels are, I'd snap 'em up real quick!

Well I'd sell my WC books to increase availability, except the covers are only still on three of them (wear and tear).

No I still wouldn't sell them.

More WC novels please! We'll buy anything! We're desperate!

Originally posted by Dougie
The Mara Jade thing would surprise me a lot, since I think Ep 3 will probs be like at least a decade pre-ANH.

Star Wars fans seem to like making up crazy things about the prequels, like "I'll bet Episode 2 will explain why Droid DX-187 is in the cantina in Episode 4 instead of on the Oksharlu homeworld!!!!!!!!". This is because they're insane.

Originally posted by LeHah
Wildshot's WC book list is my list as well. High 5! ...However, you did miss Action Stations, which I found a lot better during my second read...

I meant those were the only actual books I owned. I never actually bought or read Action Stations or any of the other books I did not list. Not too mention, I bought WC3 in a scifi ship in Stockholm,Sweden(and I live in New York) needless to say some of these books were very hard to find.

Going back to the Star Wars books, I'd have to agree that I would not disregard them unless they directly contradicted a movie. THey do a very good job in keeping all of the Star Wars books in sync. ALl the authors work together with Lucas Licensing(and they all point that out in their acknowledgements).

Anyway, they do a much better job then the Star Trek books. None of the books have any continuity with the show or other novels. I agree it can be difficult because you're talking about hundreds of episodes rather than three(and soon to be six) movies, but still, sometimes it gets ridiculous. Basically, William Shatner has created his own little world where he's still alive and makes love with a half Klingon half Romulan chick every few minutes. 'm Serious, go out and buy any book by William Shatner and that's whats going on for most of the book.

Oh yeah, HARDCORE!!!!!!!

[Edited by Wildshot on 08-08-2001 at 23:11]

I'm looking forward to seeing Yoda with a 10-foot(approx. 3 metres)long lightsabre... :) It's gonna be bloody I say! BLOODY!!!

I dont see what your problem with the Star Trek books is Wildshot. They arent a continuing story like it sounds like the Star Wars books are. The author can write a story that takes place at any time in Star Trek history (and there are a lot) so you think of the story in those terms. Its not hard. If they are talking about the original series during the original five year mission, ok its like the show. If they are talking about TNG Enterprise-E then its like the movies, etc etc...

My problem is that William Shatner's book, "The Return" brought himself back to life and and then killed all the Borg. Then First Contact came out and he was obviously still dead and all the Borg were still alive.

Originally posted by Wildshot
My problem is that William Shatner's book, "The Return" brought himself back to life and and then killed all the Borg. Then First Contact came out and he was obviously still dead and all the Borg were still alive.

That's because the Star Trek books have no bearing on what really happens in Star Trek. In the book, "Dark Mirror", the TNG crew encounter themsevles from the Mirror Universe, but Starfleet wasn't around at that time in the Mirror Universe...

very good point about the mirror universe, but Kirk committed suicide in his attack on the borg planet/base, after being in the monitor/enterprise. Now This could have happened because the borg quite obviously had more than 1 queen so why couldn't a different sect have had instead of a queen, a planetary computer structure

Originally posted by Napoleon
very good point about the mirror universe, but Kirk committed suicide in his attack on the borg planet/base, after being in the monitor/enterprise. Now This could have happened because the borg quite obviously had more than 1 queen so why couldn't a different sect have had instead of a queen, a planetary computer structure

That's why the Star Trek books are overall stupid, and why I don't read them. Most of them make no sense.

star trek itself is riddled with glaring errors (how many shuttles did voyager carry?)

now im thinking that this thread should set course back towards somthing WC related

Originally posted by $tormin
star trek itself is riddled with glaring errors (how many shuttles did voyager carry?)

now im thinking that this thread should set course back towards somthing WC related

Aye-aye to that, Cap'n...uh, kernel.:)

gimmie a break. Most Star Trek books have no baring on continuity at all, the ones that go out of their way to tell a story that ends up messing with continuity are special occasions, and are usually marked as such by being hardcover or written by Shatner:) I can go through all the books I have and count the ones that are just good stories that dont mess with continuity and they will outnumber the ones that do by far.

Going back to the original post...

Has anyone read the Night's Dawn Trilogy (The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist and The Naked God) by Peter F Hamilton? It's a little scary in size (3.4 million words, the term 'space opera' applies) but it has to be one of the finest SF books ever written. One race featured in the trilogy are a massive collection of people who use bitek, genetically engineered biological machines. They call themselves the Edenists and are probably the nearest thing the books have to 'good guys'. Anyway, not all the races who use biological machines are evil and they are a fine set of books. The US editions are split up into more books.

Originally posted by $tormin

Well Voyager itself was just one giant contradiction anyway, the whole damn thing.

And actually I don't read alot in general. If something seems REALLY intresting, I will. But if i'm gonna sit there and read something, it had better be damned good.

One of the better Star Trek books i've read was that-one-where-Kirk-was-a-kid. They showed pretty much how he first met Robert April on the Enterprise, how his family died and such. They even mentioned "The Federation Naval Commission" which Tom Paris mentioned on an episode, which Kirk in that book was joing to join.

Back