Political Structure of the Confederation

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
This has been something I've been wondering about since before there was a Confederation, and now with new sources, I believe we may be able to pull it off.

In the beginning, the Confederation was very much a generic sci-fi planetary government (similar to Star Trek's Federation, which resisted idenfication in the earliest episodes). Any sort of elaboration tended to lean towards the military side of things, as would be expected in a military science fiction. The few facts that did lean out was that the Confederation was presumably styled after a modern day democracy with a fair amount of freedom afforded its citizens. The events of Secret Missions 2 hinted at the process of joining the Confederation, and indicated that governments retained their sovereignty under the alliance.

Very little further light was shed until the events of Fleet Action. This identified the leader of the Confederation as being a popularly elected President, with other elements fashioned after American-style government, including Chiefs of Staff and a Senate. Perhaps more revealingly, the amount of freedom afforded citizens of the Confederation was revealed. During the events of the war, cease-fire, resumption of hostilities right up to the Battle of Earth, there was a significant pacifist movement among certain liberal and intellectual groups, at least in the inner worlds. Wing Commander IV would later make reference to how most of the Confederation was under martial law for the majority of the war, with judiciary powers centered in the Admiralty courts, but this presumably did not apply to Earth and the Inner Worlds. Even after the horrors of the battle there was still a "blame-Earth" mentality among some (although this could be chalked up to some of the character's prejudices in exaggeration).

Wing Commander III revealed little except for the appearance of the Terran News Network, which seemed to indicate that even in the war's most horrifying days, freedom of the press appeared alive and well. There also appeared to be a 'rebellion' as some planets attempted to defect to the Kilrathi, which reinforces the alliance analogy but is inconclusive otherwise - the United States would surely have reacted unfavorably in the unlikely event of Alaska attempting to defect to the Soviet Union, for instance. The included reference material included with the game, Victory Streak, makes reference to "UNation dollars", while the Voices of War section in the just-previously released Armada refers to "dols" as the means of currency. In another thread I theorized this as showing the reluctance of some of the Confederation member states to relinquish their traditional currency, as Britain seperates itself from the EU by using the pound instead of the Euro.

Wing Commander IV is another excellent source of information in both the novel and game, none the least because our old friend Senator Taggert provides us with an inside look at some of the workings. Although Wing Commander III established the seat of power of Confed as Washington DC on Earth (in the losing cutscene), Wing Commander IV introduces the Great Assembly building, which is quite seperate from the American political structure in the area but otherwise resembles the US Senate chamber in workings as well as appearence. A curious reference is the fact that Taggert is referred to as being the Senator from the planet Altair - suggesting that every planet of the Confederation elects their own representative to the Council, unless of course Taggert represents a cluster of planets to which Altair is the primary (as in Star Wars, where Senator Amidala represents a number of star systens). The other notable thing about the Senate is that they seem amenable to sudden changes (fortunately for the Border Worlds). The constitution of the Confederation, the Articles of Confederation, is also first alluded to, although little else is said on the matter. Prophecy named the two major parties of the Confederation as the Federationalist and Populist, and Secret Ops, particularly the fiction, may include more information, but as a whole I don't recall anything else of note.

The conclusion I have attained then, based on the available facts, is that the Terran Confederation is an alliance of sovereign governments, similar in effect to the European Union and NATO but modeled on the United States, bound together under a common system of trade, law, and of course defense. There is a clearly defined head of state and chief executive of the Confederation, the President, elected popularly by the citizens of its member nations. These citizens also elect members of their regional systems to the Great Assembly, which is based on Earth in Washington, D.C. out of tradition. The exception to this appears to be territories such as the Gemini Sector, which are appointed a Governor by the central government on Earth. Due to the war with the Kilrathi and the ruling Federationalist party there is a significant military force, but despite several attempts at a coup the military remains and has always been subservient to the central government, and not to any member nation or political interest.

Think the Confederate States of America as opposed to the United States of America.

Under the Articles of Confederation, each state in the Confederacy was indepedently sovereign, with their own governing body, currency, taxes, tarriffs, etc. It was more of a coalition than a union.

So yes, under the Terran Confederacy, each body has independent sovereignty as per the term Confederation.

NICE! Bob you made a worthy post! This is a topic that deserves mentioning. I have to re-read some parts to contribute though. I'll do that right away!

Meson said:
NICE! Bob you made a worthy post! This is a topic that deserves mentioning. I have to re-read some parts to contribute though. I'll do that right away!

Please don't overuse exclamations :(

Nomad Terror said:
Think the Confederate States of America as opposed to the United States of America.

Under the Articles of Confederation, each state in the Confederacy was indepedently sovereign, with their own governing body, currency, taxes, tarriffs, etc. It was more of a coalition than a union.

So yes, under the Terran Confederacy, each body has independent sovereignty as per the term Confederation.

Well that may be true to a certain extent, we've seen time and time again that there is much more central authority than the primary US government had under the articles of confederation.

Wing Commander IV would later make reference to how most of the Confederation was under martial law for the majority of the war, with judiciary powers centered in the Admiralty courts, but this presumably did not apply to Earth and the Inner Worlds. Even after the horrors of the battle there was still a "blame-Earth" mentality among some (although this could be chalked up to some of the character's prejudices in exaggeration).

No, you're purposefully phrasing your post in a manner that *subtly* contradicts the facts in order to support your point. There's no indication that ED242 applied to 'most of' the Confederation -- it applied to *the Confederation*. 'Martial law' is not necessarily a horrible concept -- and given that we don't see any civilian trials in Wing Commander, it's not something that contradicts anything.

Wing Commander III revealed little except for the appearance of the Terran News Network, which seemed to indicate that even in the war's most horrifying days, freedom of the press appeared alive and well. There also appeared to be a 'rebellion' as some planets attempted to defect to the Kilrathi, which reinforces the alliance analogy but is inconclusive otherwise - the United States would surely have reacted unfavorably in the unlikely event of Alaska attempting to defect to the Soviet Union, for instance.

Que? Wasn't a big theme of Wing Commander III/Heart of the Tiger novel the idea that the Confederation was censoring the press when it came to reporting on the state of the war? Remember, Rollins was always pointing that out? Heck, the very 'TNN' references you're pointing out are supposed to be *showing* that (there's even one news video where they point out outright that they can't report on a situation any further as 'CID Shadows' have arrived on the scene.

The included reference material included with the game, Victory Streak, makes reference to "UNation dollars", while the Voices of War section in the just-previously released Armada refers to "dols" as the means of currency. In another thread I theorized this as showing the reluctance of some of the Confederation member states to relinquish their traditional currency, as Britain seperates itself from the EU by using the pound instead of the Euro.

And as I pointed out in that very thread, your reference seems to be wrong. Every copy of Victory Streak I can find lists them as UNation Credits, not Dollars.

Nor are the references in Armada in any any way indicitive of what you're saying. The 'dols' in the Armada manual are never, ever, ever used in reference to a "member state". It's *only* used in reference to the currency used by the military command (two references to {v} dol fines) and that used aboard the Lexington (items in the classifieds cost {v} dols}.

Wing Commander IV is another excellent source of information in both the novel and game, none the least because our old friend Senator Taggert provides us with an inside look at some of the workings. Although Wing Commander III established the seat of power of Confed as Washington DC on Earth (in the losing cutscene), Wing Commander IV introduces the Great Assembly building, which is quite seperate from the American political structure in the area but otherwise resembles the US Senate chamber in workings as well as appearence.

None the least? Although? What the heck is with the terribly painful and overly flowery language in this post? Is it going to be marketed as Barbie's First Chat Zone Post?

"Although", Wing Commander III didn't established Washington DC as the 'seat of power' -- it just showed it getting blown up. This a nice example of the logic problems you're encountering throughout -- you cannot jump from 'that got blown up!' to 'that's clearly the political center of power!'

A curious reference is the fact that Taggert is referred to as being the Senator from the planet Altair - suggesting that every planet of the Confederation elects their own representative to the Council, unless of course Taggert represents a cluster of planets to which Altair is the primary (as in Star Wars, where Senator Amidala represents a number of star systens).

How does that *begin* to be "curious"? The representatives in a representative democracy *represent* things?! -strokes chin- Curiouser and curiouser!

The constitution of the Confederation, the Articles of Confederation, is also first alluded to, although little else is said on the matter.

No -- of any portion of anything in the Wing Commander canon, Blair's conversation with Paulson about the Confederation provides us with serious details of the government... down to stating what one of the articles (Article 9) *was* (and confirming that WC's "Articles of Confederation" are different from the two similarly named documents in American history). More importantly, we learn why the Confederation believes they control the Border Worlds (which definately contradicts the idea that they are a 'loose' alliance).

The conclusion I have attained then, based on the available facts, is that the Terran Confederation is an alliance of sovereign governments, similar in effect to the European Union and NATO but modeled on the United States, bound together under a common system of trade, law, and of course defense.

Disagree -- this sounds more like the 'Terran Alliance', referenced in several sources... a loosely affiliated group which allied to fight the Kilrathi. The Confederation seems to be a much more centralized government.

I'll apologize in advance for the "terribly painful and overly flowerly language" in this discussion - it's just the way I write this sort of thing.

Bandit LOAF said:
How does that *begin* to be "curious"? The representatives in a representative democracy *represent* things?! -strokes chin- Curiouser and curiouser!

I was trying to figure out how far the representation went - whether Taggert represented the planet Altair, or the entire Altair system. My guess would be that he represented the system, since the number of representatives in the Council scene of WCIV seems far too small a number to have one representative for every planet. In addition, since his title is as Senator, and since the government is modeled on US-style democracy, that could possibly indicate that he represents a wider base.

(Do we even see an equivilant House of Representatives?)

It's been a while since I read Action Stations, but I don't recall the statements about Senator More being particularly conclusive.

Disagree -- this sounds more like the 'Terran Alliance', referenced in several sources... a loosely affiliated group which allied to fight the Kilrathi. The Confederation seems to be a much more centralized government.

But how centralized? Centralized along a more decentralized, American Southern Confederacy view? (which due to Jefferson Davis's presidency and the demands of the war was actually pretty centralized, as I understand.) Centralized along the lines of the United Nations? (which seems like a pathetically weak government, considering the track record of the UN.) Centralized along the lines of the United Federation of Planets in Star Trek? (I still don't understand how that's organized).

Part of this confusion is due to a prejudice of mine - perhaps mistaken - that a relatively centralized government such as the United States would not be able to control a nation spanning thousands of star systems. Such a government, in my view, would out of necessity become pondorously bureaucratic and sluggish, unless a great deal of autonomy was put into the hands of regional governors. Considering the relative delay of communications due to the slowness of jump travel , such a decentralization would become inevitable.

An addendum to the previous reply: how many planets (approximately) are in the Confederation?

Count the number of stars on the universe map and multiply by 4 (the average number for a star system). That will give you a good estimate.

I'll apologize in advance for the "terribly painful and overly flowerly language" in this discussion - it's just the way I write this sort of thing.

Probably best to save it for when the discussion is over and you're summarizing what you've decided -- in a conversation, it just grates on people.

I was trying to figure out how far the representation went - whether Taggert represented the planet Altair, or the entire Altair system. My guess would be that he represented the system, since the number of representatives in the Council scene of WCIV seems far too small a number to have one representative for every planet. In addition, since his title is as Senator, and since the government is modeled on US-style democracy, that could possibly indicate that he represents a wider base.

(Do we even see an equivilant House of Representatives?)

I don't think there's a significant difference between the planet Altair and the Altair System -- everything that's not the planet is a lot of empty space.

But how centralized? Centralized along a more decentralized, American Southern Confederacy view? (which due to Jefferson Davis's presidency and the demands of the war was actually pretty centralized, as I understand.) Centralized along the lines of the United Nations? (which seems like a pathetically weak government, considering the track record of the UN.) Centralized along the lines of the United Federation of Planets in Star Trek? (I still don't understand how that's organized).

Part of this confusion is due to a prejudice of mine - perhaps mistaken - that a relatively centralized government such as the United States would not be able to control a nation spanning thousands of star systems. Such a government, in my view, would out of necessity become pondorously bureaucratic and sluggish, unless a great deal of autonomy was put into the hands of regional governors. Considering the relative delay of communications due to the slowness of jump travel , such a decentralization would become inevitable.

Based on everything we know, it's more like the Federation -- given the government's capabilities and the pomp & circumstance surrounding a single new planet joining in SM2. Consider the system of sector-based legislative and judicial branches spoken of often in Prophecy and Secret Ops -- a 'decentralized' government would leave these functions up to individual planets rather than building another level of political infrastructure.

An addendum to the previous reply: how many planets (approximately) are in the Confederation?

No clear answer. We've heard of about 700 Confederation systems... but the Kilrathi in Action Stations mention that Confed has "hundreds ... thousands of systems".

It always got at me how WC is just like an intergalactic US, I mean, Joint Chiefs, come on!

What, did the US just concur the rest of the planet, or did we all give up our national identity and become the United States of Earth.

Bandit LOAF said:
Based on everything we know, it's more like the Federation -- given the government's capabilities and the pomp & circumstance surrounding a single new planet joining in SM2. Consider the system of sector-based legislative and judicial branches spoken of often in Prophecy and Secret Ops -- a 'decentralized' government would leave these functions up to individual planets rather than building another level of political infrastructure.
I think the most compelling evidence in favor of a centralized approach is the unified military.

Naval vessels are all TCS <ship name>, not like Altarian Naval Vessel (ANV, derr) <ship name> or something like that. The same way US Naval vessels are USS <ship name> and not Virginia Commonwealth Ship (VCS) <ship name>.

If it were more decentralized, the various states would have their own navies as a way to demonstrate and maintain their sovereignty from the others. As it stands, things seem fairly homogenous.
BattleDog said:
It always got at me how WC is just like an intergalactic US, I mean, Joint Chiefs, come on!

What, did the US just concur the rest of the planet, or did we all give up our national identity and become the United States of Earth.
Yes, because the Confederation having a set of Join Chiefs of some shit is really completely indicative of United States imperialism run rampant, as they must have conquered Earth and all of Space for this to occur. Please.

Logical deduction > you.

Well okay, maybe I was inarticulate there. My point is though, why is it that in almost all Sci Fi everything is based on America.

Like they always have Generals whereing Stars, joint Chiefs, Presidants, blah, blah.

Its just I read Fleet Action and it just seemed like America in space. Why can't the writers come up with something new?

I know this doesn't make a lot of sense, its just a feeling I get when I read the books. Also, why is it in America the hero is American and the villan is British?

If Blair was Group Captain Blair rather than Colonel Blair you'd think that was a bit off, wouldn't you.

Sounds to me like your problem is with the United States, not sci-fi writers.

It's probably not a good idea to treat science-fiction games as matters of national pride, it'll make people hate you.

American sci-fi uses American ranks and titles because that's what Americans are familiar with. German sci-fi uses German ranks and titles because that's what Germans are familiar with. Zimbabwean sci-fi uses Zimbabwean ranks and titles because that's what Zimbabweans are familiar with. I don't see how this could possibly be difficult to understand.

I used my aerospace engineering education to derive this equation.

Battledog = assclown
psych = destroyer of assclowns

"Battledog + psych" derives to "assclown + destroyer of assclowns"

Therefore,

Battledog + psych = dead Battledog

An interesting question is the amount of control the President has. We don't even see him involved in the decision to declare war on the Border Worlds, or during the Nephilim invasion, if I remember correctly.

But Tolwyn was British long before he was the enemy.

Since the Confederation seems to be based on American democracy, I would say that the president can't declare war on his own anyway (yeah right). The senate has to do it.

The wording they use in Action Stations suggests that they represent a system and not just a planet. Tolwyn says that More wanted the shipyard (or whatever it was) built in his system not on his planet. They seem to keep this up throughout.

Also, I like flowery language. Doesn't bother me at all. I get more annoyed by people who yell their point of view instead of forming coherent sentences and siting examples to further their argument.

Back