Penny-Arcade and WC Movie

SoulSkorpion said:
I also question, based on your reference to only one person, whether or not you ever read PA :p

Pop culture humor is easily the lowest, most base form of satire and humor possible. PA is genius for lowballing to the internet public. It’s intelligence a vulgar lie, and it doesn’t even have the balls or wit to be an entertainingly vulgar lie. I hold it and its makers in the most extreme contempt.

Anytime someone links me to that tripe some of the parts of me which survive decide to pull a Leland Palmer, and tossed themselves on top of the coffin containing the dead bits of me as its being lowered into the ground.

Kenshi said:
I'll agree that the movie has it's high points. I LIKED the throwback designs of the ships. The cinematography was fantastic. Hell, the story was a good, war-movie story. Unfortunately, the movie lacks something the games had; HEART. Everybody involved with the games seemed to be putting everything they had into it. Everybody involved with the film just seemed to be "phoning it in", collecting another check before moving on the the next film. Prinze Jr. and Lillard put forth more effort in the Scooby Doo films!

I'll put it to the challenge. Count how many threads in this forum say something like:"What was your favorite scene/death/character/part of WC I/II/III/IV/P?"

Then count how many threads say something like: "What was you favorite scene/death/character/part of WCM?"

...Here is a comedy positioned outside the normal range of human response.

LeHah said:
Pop culture humor is easily the lowest, most base form of satire and humor possible. PA is genius for lowballing to the internet public. It’s intelligence a vulgar lie, and it doesn’t even have the balls or wit to be an entertainingly vulgar lie. I hold it and its makers in the most extreme contempt.

People are stupid. Nothing is good. It's only funny if it's British and you don't understand it.

See? I can be pretentious, too. :D (wait, I didn't use enough 50 cent words and obtuse metaphors... :( )

Theres nothing "pretentious" about being well-spoken.

However, there is something to be said about calling someone else pretentious. Thats like sticking a thumb at yourself and saying your a moron.

Wow... I'm being called a moron by someone who has the MOVIE Skeletor as his avatar... I've hit an all-new low... :)

No, It's not pretentious to be well-spoken....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshi
I'll agree that the movie has it's high points. I LIKED the throwback designs of the ships. The cinematography was fantastic. Hell, the story was a good, war-movie story. Unfortunately, the movie lacks something the games had; HEART. (...) Then count how many threads say something like: "What was you favorite scene/death/character/part of WCM?"

...Here is a comedy positioned outside the normal range of human response.

... However, when you use that "well-spoken" ability to mock someone elses opinion instead of offering one of your own, THAT'S pretentious.

The first newspost is ALWAYS by Tycho, unless he's sick or dying or something.
And the people in this forum usually hate everything... If I were to say that WCIV is a great game (which I think it is), people would find lot's of bad things to say about it. Half -Life sucks, PA sucks, humor sucks, peace sucks, jokes sucks, SW DVDs suck, well, this is the internet forum with the highest standard ever.

Honestly, I though the movie sucked. Big-time. I try not to consider it part of the WC universe, more like some lame fan fiction that is best left forgotten for all eternity.

I had such high hopes for it too. :(

Personally, I kind of like Penny Arcade.. its funny at least 20% of the time.. although I rarely read anything other than the strip itself..

I know a lot of the crew here will defend the movie.. and I respect them for that.. but I hated the WC movie.. H A T E D !
(Stupid Fugly Rapiers and Naked-Mutant-Space-Hampster-Kilrathi)

I'd rather watch "Ice Pirates."

-J

Kenshi said:
However, when you use that "well-spoken" ability to mock someone elses opinion instead of offering one of your own, THAT'S pretentious.

No, it isn't. Fact: People who mouth off loudly and repeatedly that they don't like the movie get banned for being an annoyance.

Ice Pirates... that's awesome... :)

LeHah said:
No, it isn't. Fact: People who mouth off loudly and repeatedly that they don't like the movie get banned for being an annoyance.

1. Just because you say "No, it isn't" doesn't make my point false.
2. Writing "Fact" in front of a sentence doesn't nessessarily make it a "fact".
3. Why do people who are NOT moderators think they know who will or won't get banned...

Again, pretentious...

Anywho, I think we're getting a little off topic. I think we can all agree that we either love or hate (or love/hate) the movie. And I don't think anyone will get BANNED for expressing that opinion. But, if I'm not mistaken, the point of the thread was Penny Arcade's reference to it and what we think of said reference.

Do you agree, LeHah?

Helloaf, saucy movie thread.

Yep, because everyone knows it's impossible to make a good movie about an archaeologist adventurer on a quest to find some kind of artifact and save the world.

This is a personal aside to the important work of yelling at eachother about Penny Arcade that we have to do here, but I've long believed that Tomb Raider is just about the most untapped-potential franchise anywhere. The character is an amazingly fun idea that, if developed properly in the supporting material (comics/novels/movies), could be a lot better than it is now.

Nope. There are two; Mike "Gabe" Krahulik and Jerry "Tycho" Holkins. Anyways:

Far be it from me to bring any sort of fact into this discussion, but a quick shift through the last thirty pages of archived news seems to indicate that exactly what I'm saying is true: the one with the horribly pretentious writing style that I'm complaining about ("Tycho", apparently) always writes the top news update.

1: Both Gabe's and Tycho's styles of writing are refreshing, witty, and humorous. See? I can phrase my opinions as fact too!
2: The commentary isn't designed to be funny, although sometimes is.

1: I'm going to give you some advice that my own mother gave to me: stop being an asshole or you won't get any cake. And cake is a metaphor for me banning you. I'm sorry if I've offended you by daring not to like one element of the website of an online comic strip, but it's no reason for you to explode.
2: The link you provided is an excellent example of *exactly* what I'm talking about. Quote your link: "I'd amassed a certain affection for the culinary arts, that is to say, the construction of the edible" instead of 'I enjoy cooking!' There's the thesaurus/pretention crap that I'm talking about -- it's the sort of thing that was probably cute once and got enough of a response that he turned it into his regular style. It seems like fingers on a chalkboard to me.

And the people in this forum usually hate everything... If I were to say that WCIV is a great game (which I think it is), people would find lot's of bad things to say about it. Half -Life sucks, PA sucks, humor sucks, peace sucks, jokes sucks, SW DVDs suck, well, this is the internet forum with the highest standard ever.

We are a cultured lot -- but I think you'll find that on average the posters here are a lot more intelligent than your average IMDB or generic game forum BBS, too.

I'd rather watch "Ice Pirates."

Now, Captain, you specifically told me that it was slightly more bearable than Ice Pirates right after it came out. :)

Seriously, I don't love the Wing Commander movie. Or really like it. It was an okay waste of my time, which is ordinarily spent reading Star Trek novels. What I love is the stuff that all the tie-in merchandise added to the WC universe, and I find in general that in order to defend that material I need to defend the quality of the movie itself. Like... congressmen... who have to side... with one party... to get money for their... fish farms.

Also, I enjoy arguing with people on the internet in the context of something that isn't dumb.

To wit:

I'll put it to the challenge. Count how many threads in this forum say something like:"What was your favorite scene/death/character/part of WC I/II/III/IV/P?"

Then count how many threads say something like: "What was you favorite scene/death/character/part of WCM?"

Eh, two points against this approach in my mind.

1) The vast majority of those threads are "What's your favorite character" or "What's your favorite ship" threads. Furthermore, most of these things are also interactive -- we love Angel because the game was about us kissing her, we love the Hellcat because we had our hands on the stick and know how it flies, and we love the Dralthi because we know how they interacted with us personally. You don't get that in a movie -- you don't see film review boards that talk about what peoples favorite character or favorite boat was in ordinary movies. Even so, we get people who like just the movie. Look at old CIC polls that involve some m ovie character -- they always get some small share. Also, we do run into movie people on occasion... when we ran the booth at Dragon*Con three years ago, we had a shocking number of people come up and ask why there hadn't been a 'Wing Commander 2' yet. It sounds like a terrible lie, and I wouldn't believe it if I wasnt there... but there's some weird support for it among general Sci Fi fans.

2) I firmly believe in the 'latest product, most disliked' theory. Try and find a 'Favorite Privateer 2 ship' thread from 1996. As time went on, we came to accept Privateer 2 and even cite it as one of our favorites on occasion. Even with 'numbered' games like WCIV and Prophecy, the vast majority of threads after they came out and before the next game were big critical continuity errors/general dislike fests. Remember how offended people were that they got rid of the cartoon heads and WC2 stuff in WC3? The online community is fickle -- I really do believe that when the next Wing Commander game comes out, people will complain about the days back when Chris Roberts was directing movies... :)

Also: Kenshi vs. LeHah argument should take it to private message, unless it can become something other than about which of you is allowed to use big words.

My Apologies, Loaf. Picking a fight is not my intent. I'm trying to keep LeHah AND MYSELF from derailing this thread any further...

Bandit LOAF said:
2) I firmly believe in the 'latest product, most disliked' theory. Try and find a 'Favorite Privateer 2 ship' thread from 1996. As time went on, we came to accept Privateer 2 and even cite it as one of our favorites on occasion. Even with 'numbered' games like WCIV and Prophecy, the vast majority of threads after they came out and before the next game were big critical continuity errors/general dislike fests. Remember how offended people were that they got rid of the cartoon heads and WC2 stuff in WC3? The online community is fickle -- I really do believe that when the next Wing Commander game comes out, people will complain about the days back when Chris Roberts was directing movies...

I don't nessassarily agree with your first point but I find this point very interesting and, unfortunately, very true...

Kenshi said:
Ice Pirates... that's awesome.

If I had a parrot, I would teach it to say "Black gentleman"

Kenshi said:
I think we can all agree that we either love or hate (or love/hate) the movie. And I don't think anyone will get BANNED for expressing that opinion.

Ahem, may I point to my illustrious rank.

Actually the article sort of complements the movie on getting the basics right... unlike that doom movie he was talking about.

And yeah, LOAF, that kind of thing can be annoying indeed.

Well, that's what I tried to say in may first post, that several of the game movies couldn't ever be any good, but that the ones with potential should AT LEAST remain true to the source material basics. Which is why a Doom movie without demons ands Mars will be as bad as WC in New Jersey.

Loaf, sure we have a higher level than most boards, especially the ones you cited. Thankfully, that is the reason why a jerk like Corsair F4-U stood out like a sore thumb.
But we are so critical that NOTHING is left, not even WC games :). Seriously, I don't know why some of the people (and I'm being generalistic, not sarcastic) here even play games, they seem to have absurdly lofty expectations of them.

Oh, and what's Ice Pirates?

BTW: The picture avatars are missing, I can only see a link like "Delance's Avatar". Were they disabled?

Delance said:
Actually the article sort of complements the movie on getting the basics right... unlike that doom movie he was talking about.
Just getting the basics right doesn't make it a good movie. I could make a movie that covers the basics in my backyard, but that doesn't make it good. The movie really isn't that bad though, it just didn't seem to be a good interpretation of Wing Commander. Seeing a Dralthi blow up on screen, is nothing like blowing it up yourself :D !

Thing is, Games and film provide two very different forms of entertainment. Im pointing out the obvious, but it seems that people like uwe boll (the director of house of the dead, alone in the dark, and apparently eying up a few other games to bring to the big screen) fail to realise that.

House of the dead *could* of made an passable premise for a b-movie horror film. two agents investigate science house gone wrong. plenty of oppertunity for a few scares and some good action scenes. Nothing ground breaking, but something potentially enjoyable. Instead the two agents become a posse of early 20 somethings looking for a party on some deserted island... Practically anyone whos been on holiday and passed an arcade have seen a house of the dead machine. thats a large amount of people who at least vaguely familiar with the brand. "what they have made a film of that stupid zombie shooter game? thats bound to suck".

Doom has a really weak actual story, but i think is quite an decent premise to build on... mankind vs the minions hell... plenty of potential there for big action and scares... instead we are going to recieve a clichéd resident evil in space film... and dont get me started about that waste of celuloid... humans infected by a virus... woop de doo...

"Doom the movie intends to be more of a horror flick than an action film, but with more shooting and fighting than your average scare-fare. It's beginning to sound a lot like Resident Evil in space, actually. The story will center around soldier John Grimm, the character played by Karl Urban (Eomer in The Lord of the Rings). Many scenes will be shot in first-person view, the perspective used to great effect in Doom 3 and many other first-person-shooter games."

whoops... Thing is, to start off with many people are familiar with doom. firstly do people want to see a doom film? I know i dont, and i definatly do not want to see a doom film, that actually isn't really doom... just a film that tries to copy the atmosphere of the game.

Starting to ramble...

I dont understand where the film makers are coming from with reguards to game movies, in terms of target audiance; often the changes they make to the films can help alienate the hardcore fans. but often the end result is so poor that it wont have your average movie goer remotely interested.

Wing Commander, I thought actually was reasonably true to general premise of the whole terran confederation vs kilrathi theme of wing commander the game, It had a different visual style, one that was actually well realised for what it was. And some key conceptual differences, ship designs, pilgrims etc. It was just somewhat weak, the pre release trailers where a bit poo, and its main selling point "was come see the new star wars trailer"... poor way to market your film really... shame :(

Back