Parallel Tonality

Yeah, Napoleon, I don't know much about Star Trek, really, but I'm going to have to say that if you're trying to prove your point, you're doing a poor job by confusing the issue.

Lots of that really has nothing to do with continuity, especially the Borg stuff. I offer up World War II as an example. At first the Axis powers were invincible, and then slowly they were defeated with great effort. At the end though, a few quick strikes ended it all. According to you, TEHRES A CONTANUATY PORBLAM WITH RAEALITY!!!

Emhhh....
The Klingons without ridges are the ones near the UFP-Klingon Neutral Zone, and according Worf, they don´t talk about those klingons (nit,nit).
The Borgs.....they aren´t perfect and AFAIK they don´t assimilated any new race since *Q Who* and the Federation made new ships, with a lot of new weapon´s classes.
And about Voyager..... what can i tell you...it´s the worst ST show, they called Jery Ryan to be the *hot girl* in the show because the rating was too low and the new and improved Kes don´t worked as expected (with long hair and high heels) and Voy had the worst Time Travel paradoxes in any Sci-Fi show.

The Klingons are a bad example, too -- all they did was change the look... the spirit/culture/background/history/whatever of the Klingons has remained extremely continous. The change is for a good reason: 30 years ago it was acceptable to make the "bad guys" differ only in that they all have dark skin. That really wouldn't be kosher today...

(Even ignoring all this, DS9 did explain that the there was a reason for the differences in Klingons through the ages... they just didn't explain what it was.)

the other point is actually quite incorrect though ghost. the Klingons in TNG/DS9 were driven by honor and glory and were not underhanded or sneaky as the TOS klingons were.

the borg, hah, they assimilated many races in the interim, if you actually watched the show, first off they assimilated more parts of the feds in the attack during the 2370's (FC) and gained knowledge from then about the more modern UFP stuff, and since in the Dominion war we SAW that the fed's technology did not change all that muchh (miranda's excelsiors and galaxies fighting right along side of Akira's Sabers and Defiants) you cannot claim that Voyager was 10000000000 times better than the fleet during Wolf 359 or the typhon sector battle. Likewise as i stated, many other continuity problems exist, voyager got an uber rail gun style weapon in an episode and it never showed up again. they got a supposed 10 years off their travel time over 8 times throughout the series yet it was only supposed to take them 70 years to get home.

Originally posted by Napoleon
in the Dominion war we SAW that the fed's technology did not change all that muchh (miranda's excelsiors and galaxies fighting right along side of Akira's Sabers and Defiants) you cannot claim that Voyager was 10000000000 times better than the fleet during Wolf 359 or the typhon sector battle.
You're making weird leaps of logic here, and they don't make sense. Essentially what you're trying to do is limit the maximum weapons payload delivery capabilities of the Voyager based on the assertion that we see Excelsiors and Defiants in the same shot in some battle in another series.

These two things are'nt even remotely related in a coherant mind. I can come up with numerous examples to prove my point, for example: In Babylon 5, we see Omega class destroyers fighting alongside White Stars on numerous occasions. Following your logic, we should be shocked to find that the Exalibur can shred a Sharlin or Shadow cruiser with a single dishcharge from its main gun. The reason we do not gasp in confused horror when we are presented with these facts is because they have no bearing whatsoever on each other.

the other point is actually quite incorrect though ghost. the Klingons in TNG/DS9 were driven by honor and glory and were not underhanded or sneaky as the TOS klingons were.

That isn´t entirely true, just remember, Duras and his Sisters,Gowron, the Chancellor K´mpec (the one before Gowron),The Albino
The only true honorable Klingons that we saw were Worf,Martok (sometimes not) And the firends of Jadzia Dax in some episode (Koloth and the other 2, they are from the original series too)

the borg, hah, they assimilated many races in the interim, if you actually watched the show, first off they assimilated more parts of the feds in the attack during the 2370's (FC) and gained knowledge from then about the more modern UFP stuff, and since in the Dominion war we SAW that the fed's technology did not change all that muchh (miranda's excelsiors and galaxies fighting right along side of Akira's Sabers and Defiants)

AFAIK Both Cubes and the Sphere were destroyed, and maybe they don´t sent the info or specs to the other Borg

I'm no expert on the technichal issues of Star Trek, however, to partially back Frosty's point, I believe that the type-VI torp's maximum possible yield was 200 isotons. The previous torps used in the majority of TNG were 18.5 isotons. Apparently a big improvement in damage potential did occur sometime in the war.

As for Voyager, Well ... it is full of nonsense. Despite the lost of all their shuttles and most of their crew (mathematically), they still have survived every type of danger possible. Voyager was rediculous; that show became downright silly. Really, like a little explorer could survive the entire delta quadrant in the first place. Of course the crew seems to have the ability to spontaneously make all kinds of adjustments , enhancements, and new gadgets in every episode. However, enough with Voyager. kil

Originally posted by Frosty

You're making weird leaps of logic here, and they don't make sense. Essentially what you're trying to do is limit the maximum weapons payload delivery capabilities of the Voyager based on the assertion that we see Excelsiors and Defiants in the same shot in some battle in another series.

These two things are'nt even remotely related in a coherant mind. I can come up with numerous examples to prove my point, for example: In Babylon 5, we see Omega class destroyers fighting alongside White Stars on numerous occasions. Following your logic, we should be shocked to find that the Exalibur can shred a Sharlin or Shadow cruiser with a single dishcharge from its main gun. The reason we do not gasp in confused horror when we are presented with these facts is because they have no bearing whatsoever on each other.

no this is complete bs and you know it. What my point was was that ships OF THE SAME ERA of design, still had a damned hard time fighting the borg and were still of the ability to fight along side older ships indicating that they were of at least within an order of magnitude of general abilities. Also just FYI the whitestar/omega/excalibur thing is a SH*TTY reference, 1 was made by a race which is known to be sh*t in comparison to the designers of the other two (the omega made by ea, get's EATEN by whitestars, which were minbari/vorlon tech, the excalibur's main fighting ability is likewise minbari/vorlon tech) which is useless, you would have to compare ships made by the same group and of the same general time period to make your statements make any sense.

Also ghost, we have seen the klingons at most turns speak of honor, and act based on honor, normally it is the "higher ups" that are deranged not the lower ranking people, the comanders of ships, ect.

Starships are capable of upgrading. Just because the Excalibur or Miranda class are around 100 years old, doesnt mean they are using 100 year old technology. They are just as capable of firing quantum torpedoes as an Akira class is, they can be built with the latest engine technology, sheild generators and whatnot.

The torpedoes in the later part of the war were a dozen times more powerful than the ones in TNG. As such, ships of a similar era are capapable of mounting weapons far more powerful than other ships of a similar era. And, as Supdon said, it's nonsense to assume that those older starships are exactly the same as they were a century earlier.

no this is complete bs and you know it.
Yes, I do know that your wacky insane leaps of backwards logic are bullshit.

No matter how much you huff and puff at me about who built what and "similar eras" the fact still remains that my point still stands. You waste your time quibbling over details that have no bearing on my friggin point. You're wrong, and you look stupid while being wrong.

Nobody agrees with you, because your ideas are crackheaded, give up.

As for Voyager, Well ... it is full of nonsense. Despite the lost of all their shuttles and most of their crew (mathematically), they still have survived every type of danger possible. Voyager was rediculous; that show became downright silly. Really, like a little explorer could survive the entire delta quadrant in the first place. Of course the crew seems to have the ability to spontaneously make all kinds of adjustments , enhancements, and new gadgets in every episode. However, enough with Voyager. kil

I don't think you can say it's impossible for Voyager to lose so many shuttles when you don't know how many they started with -- perhaps an Explorer carries more shuttles than the all purpose super warships upon which other series' have been set? (This argument gets silly when you have it with regular people -- they have crazy reasons why Voyager could *never* salvage a shuttle offscreen, and how it's impossible for a ship to carry more than X amount of shuttles... and so forth).

Ehh, I think a staple of all warrior races is that they pride themselves on honor, but will do whatever is necessary to win...

the borg, hah, they assimilated many races in the interim, if you actually watched the show, first off they assimilated more parts of the feds in the attack during the 2370's (FC) and gained knowledge from then about the more modern UFP stuff, and since in the Dominion war we SAW that the fed's technology did not change all that muchh (miranda's excelsiors and galaxies fighting right along side of Akira's Sabers and Defiants) you cannot claim that Voyager was 10000000000 times better than the fleet during Wolf 359 or the typhon sector battle.

I don't see the logic in assume that ships are not ever upgraded -- especially since there's so much evidence to the contrary. Look at all the Miranda variants they've done with different looking weapons pods... and they upgraded the Excelsior class for the Enterprise-B... why would they *ever* stop upgrading ship designs? We saw them upgrade and refit Enterprise-D multiple times during its mission... Particularly when faced with an enemy like the Borg. They certainly upgraded Deep Space Nine when it became important, and they started producing military-specific ships like the Defiant when war appeared... why would we assume that they just left all their older ships alone? They have a hard time defeating the Borg in Best of Both Worlds, and then its a bit easier for them in First Contact. This just indicates that their ships are more powerful...

Likewise as i stated, many other continuity problems exist, voyager got an uber rail gun style weapon in an episode and it never showed up again. they got a supposed 10 years off their travel time over 8 times throughout the series yet it was only supposed to take them 70 years to get home.

So... you understand that Voyager got powerful upgrades... but you don't understand why it was more powerful than other Starfleet ships?

As for the latter... I can think of a few (three, maybe) times where Voyager had such jumps -- can you name 8 of them?

I shant deal with frosty's logical failicy today instead i will adress everything that was stated by the other people who have replyed since my last post.

Once again I cite the fact that ships that were made either within the same era or even after Voyager were seen engaging a single cube and many were lost in that battle (First Contact) this battle took place at a point in time that was approximately two years AFTER Voyager lost contact with the federation, furthermore Voyager's torpedos have NOT been proven to be anything significantly different from those used up till that point. It was stated in the DS9 and TNG TMs that standard photons have a destructive capability equivalent to 25 isotons theoretically and normally about 18 in actuality. In Voyager the power of the torpedo's was mentioned three times two of which cited the 25 isoton strenght index whereas the one other time was stated by a person who was not part of the crew (seven while she was still a borg) and that was the only time that the 200 isoton strenght was given. We can therefore discount her statement based on the fact that Janeway most likely did not see fit to allow the borg access to entirely correct information regarding her ship's capabilities. If one takes seven's statement as true then the question that must be asked is why is there a quantum torpedo when a Type 6 Photon has between 3-4 times the yield?

Next, all canon evidence shows all federation ships except for the Defiant class and the Soverign class using photon torpedos exclusivly in all confrontations shown. This has but one exception with the Lakota which was a test-bed for an excelsior refit which was never undertaken en masse (this can be known because the Lakota outwardly looked just like the Enterprise-B excelsior refit, whereas all Excelsiors seen in the Dominion War were the standard model).

The akira just like all the other ships (with the above exceptions) has never been shown to fire quantum torpedo's it has only been shown to fire photons.

So we now have evidence that the torpedo's used by both voyager and the extreme majority of federation ships (only know of two soverign's niether of which were ever seen participating in the Dominion War, the two being the USS Soverign and the Enterprise-E, and only know of 4 defiants, possibly three, the 4/3 are the Valiant, the NX Defiant, the USS defiant, and in Call to Arms in the last shot of the episode a defiant is seen in the federation/klingon fleet that the Defiant and Rotaren are joining this defiant COULD be the Valiant or the USS Defiant (prior to recomissioning) or it could be a totally different ship) are of the standard photon variety or perhaps a slightly upgraded model (perhaps utilizing the absolute 25 isoton charge)

Also the DS9 TM states that the Quantum Torpedo has a 50 isoton yield do to the ZPF explosion and a 21.8 isoton Antimatter explosion which then could equal a theoretical maximum of a 71.8 isoton yield (we do not know how much of the 21.8 isoton yield from the antimatter/matter explosion is expended simply in causing the ZPF explosion.
This equals a yield of between 2-4 times more powerful than the standard photon torpedo which is not the "dozens of times more powerful" than the standard photon that Bhaktadil stated.

there's nothing worse than discussing canon of foreign scifi universes at forums :~(

I shant deal with frosty's logical failicy today instead i will adress everything that was stated by the other people who have replyed since my last post.
Translation: "I just got my ass kicked and I'm trying to hide it."

This first bit is a typically vague argument -- in that it can be argued using the same facts the *exact* opposite way. Observe...

Once again I cite the fact that ships that were made either within the same era or even after Voyager were seen engaging a single cube and many were lost in that battle (First Contact) this battle took place at a point in time that was approximately two years AFTER Voyager lost contact with the federation,

This is true -- however, it is also true that we don't see an Intrepid class during this battle, yes?

furthermore Voyager's torpedos have NOT been proven to be anything significantly different from those used up till that point.

You can't prove a negative in this manner -- without stated proof, there is no contradiction. Further, you cannot claim that her weapons are not more powerful, when the onscreen evidence indicates they are... ("Sure, I saw the explosion... but nobody told me it happened! So it didn't!")

It was stated in the DS9 and TNG TMs that standard photons have a destructive capability equivalent to 25 isotons theoretically and normally about 18 in actuality. In Voyager the power of the torpedo's was mentioned three times two of which cited the 25 isoton strenght index whereas the one other time was stated by a person who was not part of the crew (seven while she was still a borg) and that was the only time that the 200 isoton strenght was given. We can therefore discount her statement based on the fact that Janeway most likely did not see fit to allow the borg access to entirely correct information regarding her ship's capabilities. If one takes seven's statement as true then the question that must be asked is why is there a quantum torpedo when a Type 6 Photon has between 3-4 times the yield?

What you're saying here is that there's *on screen proof* that Voyager's torpedoes *are* more powerful? Why can you explain away for no reason something that is explicitly stated but *not* explain away what you percieve as a contradiction? If you're willing to "Well... Seven probably meant I was right! She just said the opposite because of conspiracies! And evil!" then why can't you "Well... the Borg in the Delta quadrant may not be as powerful because they weren't expecting to fight humans" or somesuch? The simple fact that you've *made up* an excuse for the show to be wrong shows what it is you're interested in...

Next, all canon evidence shows all federation ships except for the Defiant class and the Soverign class using photon torpedos exclusivly in all confrontations shown.

Then isn't *this* the contradiction? That they'd have more powerful weapons but not use them? Maybe they're using the more powerful type of torpedo that Voyager seems to have...

This has but one exception with the Lakota which was a test-bed for an excelsior refit which was never undertaken en masse (this can be known because the Lakota outwardly looked just like the Enterprise-B excelsior refit, whereas all Excelsiors seen in the Dominion War were the standard model).

We've certainly seen Excelsiors updated before with no visual change as well... the first TNG episode with the Traveler starts off by talking about an Excelsior that just had her engines updated. Is there something in the Federation charter that says ships can upgrade everything but their weapons:)?

The akira just like all the other ships (with the above exceptions) has never been shown to fire quantum torpedo's it has only been shown to fire photons.

Lack of evidence is never proof that something doesn't exist -- and it can *especially* never be used to prove that something else *can't* exist.

So we now have evidence that the torpedo's used by both voyager and the extreme majority of federation ships

Actually, even if we ignore the nonsense behind your evidence, it makes no sense. Allow:

* You state that old ships (Excelsiors, Mirandas, etc) cannot have not been upgraded for mystery reason X and therefore still mount older weaponry.
* You state that newer ships in the same era (Defiant, etc.) mount newer, more powerful weapons concurrently (during the same battles).
* You state that Voyager, another newer ship, must mount older weaponry because it existed concurrently with older ships.

This doesn't make sense.

(only know of two soverign's niether of which were ever seen participating in the Dominion War, the two being the USS Soverign and the Enterprise-E, and only know of 4 defiants, possibly three, the 4/3 are the Valiant, the NX Defiant, the USS defiant, and in Call to Arms in the last shot of the episode a defiant is seen in the federation/klingon fleet that the Defiant and Rotaren are joining this defiant COULD be the Valiant or the USS Defiant (prior to recomissioning) or it could be a totally different ship) are of the standard photon variety or perhaps a slightly upgraded model (perhaps utilizing the absolute 25 isoton charge)

Didn't Voyager the Defiant model at least once?

Also the DS9 TM states that the Quantum Torpedo has a 50 isoton yield do to the ZPF explosion and a 21.8 isoton Antimatter explosion which then could equal a theoretical maximum of a 71.8 isoton yield (we do not know how much of the 21.8 isoton yield from the antimatter/matter explosion is expended simply in causing the ZPF explosion.
This equals a yield of between 2-4 times more powerful than the standard photon torpedo which is not the "dozens of times more powerful" than the standard photon that Bhaktadil stated.

I'm not one for numbers, but we should probably get some quotes behind this...

Please take note I have not yet seen Voyager's seventh season (bar the first 3 episodes).
I think there's a significant difference between attacking or trying to get past the Borg who are just doing routine flights in their own territory, and trying to stop a Borg warship which has the sole purpose of blowing up your homeworld. And let's not forget Chakotay's(?) statement that Janeway has an unusual amount of luck. Voyager had some considerable upgrades while in the Delta quadrant, including Borg technology, and the addition of a former Borg drone to the crew, none of the other starships have this (well, maybe Picard, but still the Ent-E has no Borg technology).
I think this would give you a reasonable tactical advantage.
You can also simply explain the shuttles problem. We have seen for a fact that Voyager rebuilt the Delta flyer at least once. If they can build a super-shuttle, why can't they build normal shuttles?
The Klingons are another matter. Fact is that Klingons were always intended the way they look now (with ridges). They just didn't have the budget to accomplish this in 1966. Berman&Braga now say that Klingons have always looked like that, it's just that they couldn't show it back then. The only mistake made here is Worf mentioning it in DS9. If that hadn't happened there would've been no continuity problem.
On the whole, for something as massive as Star Trek, especially with all the different writers it's had, the level of continuity in the show is amazing.

And about the continuity there is some quotes,names and others things in all the shows that adds solid matters to the continuity

As Unforgiven mentions, Voyager gets various upgrades throughout the series. One episode in particular comes to mind in which the episode opens with a weapons dealer giving a demonstration of the new and improved capabilities of the Voyager's weaponry with his new equipment.

Regarding Klingons - the 'official' explanation given by Gene Roddenberry is that the original transmissions (according to ADB, a bunch of damaged, time shifted transmissions were somehow downloaded into an Air Force computer from Star Fleet in the far future, and they turned them over to ADB as private consultants to piece them together :p ) were damaged and incomplete, and didn't show Klingons as they truly looked.
There are some possible differences between the TOS Klingon society and the TNG Klingon society. In particular, the episode with the Organians shows the Klingons as having a fascist police state (security camera in the commander's office, for example, for the sole purpose of spying on the commander - and the execution of innocent civilians in response to the guerilla activities of Kirk and Spock), but there is so little of Klingon society/culture shown in TOS that it is possible to explain away the apparent contradictions by filling in gaps where necessary.

Edit:
And before I forget, upgrades to the Enterprise-D are even demonstrated in the TV show. In the last episode of TNG its demonstrated in a very forceful manner that the engines of the Enterprise-D were significantly improved between the beginning and the end of the series (and I'm not referring to the three-engined Enterprise, either).

Back