Paladin Loses Hair, Eye (October 5, 2005)

KrisV

Administrator
Certain releases of the Macintosh Super Wing Commander come with Claw Marks and a playguide manual in electronic format. This version of Claw Marks includes the updated pictures and descriptions of pilots and ships featured in the game. Since SWC covers The Secret Missions and an entirely new campaign, Jazz and Doomsday are among the neat additions. Super Wing Commander had a new art team, and the end result was a unique design style that was partially incorporated into Privateer, Armada and beyond.

Alexco has converted them to PDF format for you. You can download them below.

Here's a sample of an additional news article that was not featured in the original PC edition of Claw Marks.

A Shaving Off the Old Block
No matter what profession, everyone’s involved in the war ...
doctors heal the injured, hydroponic farmers feed the masses,
laborers construct new ships and people everywhere lend a hand.
Still, the sobering facts remain. Families are wrenched apart as
they cross the line from life to death. Wingmen are lost during
battle. Friends never come home.

This war isn’t easy on anyone, especially for those who lose
loved ones. Still, we’re all finding ways to remember what we’re
fighting for.

For example, you may notice a change in some of your
comrades’ hairstyles as the war progresses. In memory of family
members who have died for our cause, many Confederation
pilots are carving ‘memorial shaves’ into their temples. Vowing
to keep the bald streaks bare until the war ends, they’re choosing
to remember their loved ones by continuing the fight against the
Empire.

So next time you see a newly shaven comrade, offer your
condolences. And, be sure to count your blessings.

--
Original update published on October 5, 2005

Last edited:
Wow...never seen that before. It's strangely odd seeing the ships and people I'm used to looking entirely different...not to mention Khajja "Machine" instead of "The Fang". I think they changed Dakkath's name, too, wasn't he Dakkath "Deathstroke" nar Caxi instead of "na Sihkag"? I like the head-shaving thing at the end, and the slight other alterations they made from the original Claw Marks.

One interesting detail is that Jazz' and Doomsday's profiles appear to have been written for WC2 rather than WC1... but since both have been published not only here, but also in the KSaga manual, they are canon. And so it turns out that Jazz is actually almost a decade older than Blair... which is funny, given how Crossbones makes a big deal in SO2 about Blair being too old to be still on the frontlines and chasing Jazz around.

I always love seeing something WC related that I've never seen before. Really interesting, kind of makes me want to play SWC now.

not to mention Khajja "Machine" instead of "The Fang".

The original Claw Marks didn't have headers with the names of the pilots - they had some kind of phrase. Khajja's was "Cold as Vacuum".

Both the original and SWC entries begin with the same sentence: "Khajja the Fang is not-so-affectionately called "the Machine" by Terran intelligence."

Presumably it was just a matter of choosing one over the other as his callsign.

I think they changed Dakkath's name, too, wasn't he Dakkath "Deathstroke" nar Caxi instead of "na Sihkag"?

The original Claw Marks didn't have clans at all - you're thinking of the Dakhath who appears in Wing Commander 3.

One interesting detail is that Jazz' and Doomsday's profiles appear to have been written for WC2 rather than WC1... but since both have been published not only here, but also in the KSaga manual, they are canon. And so it turns out that Jazz is actually almost a decade older than Blair... which is funny, given how Crossbones makes a big deal in SO2 about Blair being too old to be still on the frontlines and chasing Jazz around.

To be fair, we should probably have the same issue with fellow class of '54 graduate Maniac busting Blair's chops about his age all these years.

(For those keeping score at home, Jazz would be eight years older than Blair - and Maniac would be about one year younger.)

Anyway, what I was going to point out was that these biographies also appear in the Claw Marks included with the SegaCD port of Wing Commander.

It is a pity that my Mac is so fast. I am trying to play SWC, but I am always killed in the first mission by a Dralthi. So the only thing left to watch are these PDFs.

regards,
Alex

Back