P2 deluxe edition

Jochen

Rear Admiral
I bought the german P2 "DOS-Version" immediately when it came out, but didn't know a "deluxe edition" of it was released until a few month ago. Since then, I try to find a place to buy it!
When was it released first?
Does anyone know if it was released in germany, too?
Where can I buy it today?
I found some auctions selling it but they all where just for "north americans" :(
If anyone knows how I can get this game, PLEASE let me know!!!
Since I played the "DOS-Version" in german, I would not mind if it would only be available in english, it would be a good "english exercise" :)

I beleive it was released early in 2000 or late 1999. I don't think that they are selling it anymore. I was lucky to get my copy, if you go to ebay.com you should be able to find it on there.

Thanks for your answer, but as I mentioned earlier, most auctions of P2 deluxe edition are from sellers in north america and therefore accept no bids from germany :(
But if anyone knows a place where germans can get it, too, PLEASE let me know!
you can mailto:j-adam@web.de
or send a message to ICQ # 29156048

The 95 version is icky? Good thing I got the ol DOS version, which runs perfectly on my P2. Just wish MS had some kind of driver that would convert the digital stick to work analog mode! But no biggie, I got a replacement 3d pro on the way!! That Precision Pro is a digital only stick! WAAAAA!

RFBurns

I've only ever heard of two copies of DOS Deluxe (personally). There's absolutely nothing wrong with the W95 Deluxe version of P2.

TC

I got my informations about the P2 deluxe edition from

http://www.origin.ea.com/privateer/p2/main.html

According to this page, Win9x and DirectX 5+ is required, so it seems thats it does not simply run in a DOS window but is fully integrated in win9x.
My main problem with the DOS version (even after installing the patch) is that it is almost impossible to calibrate my wingman extreme,
which made dogfighting a NIGHTMARE :mad:

Does anyone else have this problem?

One other thing: Since I'm from germany and don't chat very often, I have trouble with some "insider-english" words :confused:
What means "icky"?

Who has played the "real" win9x version with directX support?
Did you like it?
What is better/worse?

Yes, P2 Deluxe (the Win95 one, at least:)) is fully integrated -- although you'll still need a slowdown program for the combat.

Icky means 'bad'.

Thanks, LOAF. Did you play the win9x - version?
Are there any improvements compared to the DOS-version? (e.g. better video quality, better joystick support)
When were the different "deluxe" versions released?

The Win95 version is essentially the same as the DOS, gameplaywise... I think there are switches to remove the interlace lines in video and such (and the joystick calibration is much more supportive).

The other Deluxe versions were special packages released when the game first came out... they had extras like cloth patches and copies of the original Privateer included in them.

I'll ask although I'm sure the answer is no: So is there a Win95 patch for P2 (like there was with WC4)?

While I'm at it, what was the rational for P2 being a DOS game? Wasn't it released some time after WC4 which had a Win95 patch?

The Win95 patch for Wing Commander IV was released as a free download in 1997 -- Privateer II itself came out in 1996. Unfortunately there was no way to make a downloadable Win95 patch for P2...

Ive always wondered what the difference was in the Win95 ver and the DOS ver. With a patch for WCIV to run in Win95, seemed logical they would have one for P2 DOS version. But booting to dos mode for P2 isnt so bad. Just wish my Precision Pro would work in that mode! (waaaaaa):(

RFBurns

I got the W95 patch for WC4 when I bought Kilrathi Saga (I think that was in january 98, by the way, when was Kilrathi Saga released first?)

But as you said, there is no obvious reason why they could make a patch for WC4, but not for P2.

Why was P2 a DOS game? I'm not sure, but there were other new games released around that time which still used dos4gw as well (e.g. Jane's Longbow, right?), perhaps the developers were not sure if they would reach the same performance when developing it for win95/directx.

Speaking of dos4gw, someone told me it might be possible to patch such games by downloading and using a newer version of dos4gw, which perhaps is able to access/use the win9x/directx configuration.
To me this sounds a little crazy, but I know almost nothing about the architecture of dos4gw and game programming and therefore I can't say if something like that is possible... :confused:

Originally posted by Jochen
I got the W95 patch for WC4 when I bought Kilrathi Saga (I think that was in january 98, by the way, when was Kilrathi Saga released first?)

But as you said, there is no obvious reason why they could make a patch for WC4, but not for P2.

Why was P2 a DOS game? I'm not sure, but there were other new games released around that time which still used dos4gw as well (e.g. Jane's Longbow, right?), perhaps the developers were not sure if they would reach the same performance when developing it for win95/directx.

Speaking of dos4gw, someone told me it might be possible to patch such games by downloading and using a newer version of dos4gw, which perhaps is able to access/use the win9x/directx configuration.
To me this sounds a little crazy, but I know almost nothing about the architecture of dos4gw and game programming and therefore I can't say if something like that is possible... :confused:

If I remember correctly, the programs exe had to be written in a way that used the dos4gw runtime protection. It may be that there is some newer version which lets the programs run in windows. I found the one that came with Privateer 2 also worked for other programs that ran the dos4gw runtime protector. If one game had an old version, I simply replaced that old one with the one from Privateer 2 and it worked perfectly. It shure would be great if a newer runtime protector allowed P2 to run in windows with the dos version. Not to change game subjects, but remember the old game Doom? Well not too long ago, someone developed "ZDOOM" which simply added to the games exe and added a whole whop of features such as jumping, looking up and down, gave the game a console and improved the multiplay capabilities. The ZDOOM was a very small download (aprox 600kb zip or so). But I also can run the regular Doom exe and it runs fine in windows without any external patch to make it work in windows. Another example is the game Duke3d, which was also a Dos game, but can run just fine in windows without any need for a patch. Yet another example is ROTT, same Dos version can run fine in windows. So there has to be something like an improved runtime protector to utilize the win9x directX stuff. I shure hope so! Gone surfin lookin for new runtime protector! :)

RFBurns

Privateer 2 was developed in an era when DOS games were prevalent -- a very different time (G). I seem to recall that the Win95 version involves different movie formats or somesuch, that couldn't be easily patched (it was also from an era when large downloads were virtually impossible -- Origin almost nixed the downloadable Special Opses for WC2 because they were several megs...)

(You can also *easily* set Privateer 2 DOS to run in Win95, without a DOS reboot...)

I've already played P2 DOS in win98 using the "don't detect windows" setting, but that does not solve my problem with the "joystick calibration" in the DOS version

So here the two questions again why I originally started this thread:
Does anyone know how to solve problems with joystick calibration in P2? (installing the patch did not help :( )
I'm searching for someone who is willing to sell me the "P2 deluxe edition for win9x"
(For those who don't already know: I'm from germany, so I'm not allowed to bid at most auctions :mad: )

It'd probably be a better idea to ask in the Tech Support forum.

I really wish I had a P2: ace-1 Edition. I want a P2 Deluxe DOS :(

TC

Sorry, I've overlooked (correct english?) the existence of the support forum, I will start a new thread for the "joystick" problem there.

The main reason why I opened this thread was that I'm not able to buy the "P2 deluxe edition for win9x" in german stores and that it is not for sale at german auctions. The "joystick" problem is just one of the reasons why I want to get it.

What is the "P2 ace-1 edition"?

Back