origin Space Rogue

2fb

Rear Admiral
do you all remmeber an origin old game called Space Rogue, I think I will be a good Idea that some one make a remake of it in vegasStrike, IRC Privateer was made baced on Space Rogue

Remaking something in Vega Strike is a great way to show the world how much you hate it.

Privateer was not based on Space Rogue.

Gemini Gold is the ONLY decent Vega Strike port I have seen

The Privateer Remake is quite sad on its own. But at least Gemini Gold keeps it real.

Gemini Gold is a great idea, but is probably ultimately an impossible goal -- specifically because of the limitations inherent in Vega Strike.

I remember Space Rogue form the C64 days, but never played through it completely - the Newtonian physics in flight didn't appeal to me as a kid, and the revenge-driven story was a bit complicated for me at the time. But it had some neat ideas, like the manual passage through the hyperspace tunnels, which caused your ship to lose armor each time you scraped the walls (which was actually boring after a while, but I liked the concept). It also had a great rating systems and lots of ways to make money.. Well, maybe I should climb up into the attic right now and check if it's still around.

BTW: Anybody still got the paper model fighter that came with the box?

Loaf, thanks for clearing that up.... dumb question time: are the any other engines either being made or actively edited that lend themselves better to the privateer style of gameplay? I know that both prophecy/secret ops and FS2 sure as hell wouldn't work for it.

meisdavidp said:
Loaf, thanks for clearing that up.... dumb question time: are the any other engines either being made or actively edited that lend themselves better to the privateer style of gameplay? I know that both prophecy/secret ops and FS2 sure as hell wouldn't work for it.
Freelancer lends itself pretty well to Privateer style gameplay.

meisdavidp said:
It's something I've thought about many times, actually - I'm quite convinced that a Privateer-style mod could be made with relative ease for Prophecy. It wouldn't be a full-blown Privateer game, the options for outfitting your ship and such would certainly be quite limited (so we'd really be talking something halfway between Privateer and Strike Commander), but it could be done.

...Of course, "could" doesn't mean "will" - I at least have no intention of doing it :p.

Quarto said:
It's something I've thought about many times, actually - I'm quite convinced that a Privateer-style mod could be made with relative ease for Prophecy. It wouldn't be a full-blown Privateer game, the options for outfitting your ship and such would certainly be quite limited (so we'd really be talking something halfway between Privateer and Strike Commander), but it could be done.

...Of course, "could" doesn't mean "will" - I at least have no intention of doing it .
that would be one intense mother to program wouldn't it...

Shaggy said:
Freelancer lends itself pretty well to Privateer style gameplay.
I'd heard a lot of complaints about the combat in freelancer being very unrealistic. Seems like it'd be two steps forward and at least one step back.

meisdavidp said:
I'd heard a lot of complaints about the combat in freelancer being very unrealistic. Seems like it'd be two steps forward and at least one step back.
Not only that but there's no joystick support which really just ruins the game for me.

People get used to having herpes. Doesn't mean it's a good thing.
(My apoligies in advance to anyone offended by that comment. Just making a point.)

That's a horrible way to make that point.

The problem with Freelancer's flight model wasn't just that it required a mouse and didn't allow joystick flight. It was Diablo-ification of the space combat genre, down to popping shield 'potions' when you take too much damage. I did quite like the high speed transit corridors. That would be a good way to handle autopilot in a massively multiplayer space game.

Lt.Death100 said:
Not only that but there's no joystick support which really just ruins the game for me.

Joysticks don't make or break a game. I played WC1-2 with a keyboard and mouse exclusively.

d3r3k said:
Joysticks don't make or break a game. I played WC1-2 with a keyboard and mouse exclusively.
For me immersion is everything. Not having a joystick just makes me realize that I'm playing the game.

A Joystick breaks the immersion when I fly a Tarsus.

dosbox04.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back