Opinions on Standoff Episode 1 (*spoiler warning*)

If you open the .tre file in HCl's wing commander movie player you can listen to all the comm audio files. I spent a good deal last night going through them.

Doringo said:
If it helps at all, there's a typo/misspelling in the Gilgamesh-class destroyer description, at the very end.('attack strenght')
It does help - I just went and fixed it for the next version. :)

I have to say that this is an absolutely top notch game! I commend you greatly, 10/10. Any idea when episode two is out?

This game is AMAZING!!!! It's a much more challenging game than SO was. :D The fighters from the older games were much nicer to begin with, but these models are the nicest I've ever seen.
Fatcat said:
What's up with the Asteroid Attack mission? This mission is impossible! My Gladius can barely make it past the first wave, and after that, the infinite waves of Talons really sucks. Other than that, this game is flawless.
I'm playing in the third difficulty level and I beat it in a couple tries. just don't waste afterburner fuel on the base. If you get really close to the base and come around the side, the turrets can't turn in far enough to get you. Just turn off your engines and pick it off then repeat on the next turret.

Nomad Terror said:
They haven't projected an expected date for that yet.
For good reason, though. As you can see, so far we've only announced one expected release date... and we made it. It's gonna be the same with the remaining episodes - we will only announce a specific release date once we know we can keep it.

(except that this time round, hopefully we'll actually know we can keep it, instead of desperately hoping everything comes together by the 23rd :p)

It does help - I just went and fixed it for the next version.
I also noticed that the Clydesdale transport's description mentions 'Dilligent' classes, as far as I know it's 'Diligent'.. :)

thanx for all your hard work, standoff is great!

when the stiletto lands, its engine intakes are see-through

if U join the pirates, there is some speech missing (spoons i think) only the text shows up

how do U use the tractor beam? or do U have to leave sparrow floating in space?

oh & have U given the tarsus engine upgrade 5 or something? its got better afterburners than my fighters!

merry christmas

Unregistered said:
how do U use the tractor beam? or do U have to leave sparrow floating in space?

The computer informs you (hey! that's me!) that you must move within 1000 and press B to initiate pickup.

Quarto said:
(except that this time round, hopefully we'll actually know we can keep it, instead of desperately hoping everything comes together by the 23rd :p)

Grumble grumble grumble... nights where I was getting 3 hours of sleep for 2 weeks... grumble grumble grumble... making me come up with the music for all 5 cutscenes with about 3 weeks worth of notice... grumble grumble grumble... telling me you needed another peice of music on the 22nd... yea... it would be nice to check with me before setting a deffinate date next time so I can sleep and eat rather than go tired and hungry for a few weeks :p

Unregistered said:
if U join the pirates, there is some speech missing (spoons i think) only the text shows up
The speech is actually there, but there's some kind of weird problem with it - sometimes the game will play it, and sometimes it won't. It probably could have been fixed with some heavy re-working of the scene's code, but it didn't seem important enough to spend time on.

Needaham45 said:
Grumble grumble grumble... nights where I was getting 3 hours of sleep for 2 weeks... yea... it would be nice to check with me before setting a deffinate date next time so I can sleep and eat rather than go tired and hungry for a few weeks :p
Hehe, yes. If it makes you feel any better, I feel pretty bad about what we put you through, and I'm gonna try to avoid any repeats ;).

(for everyone else: if you like Standoff, and you like the fact that it showed up on the 23rd, you really should be building a shrine for Michael - the amount of work he put in over the past few weeks in order to get Standoff released on time is pretty remarkable)

Needaham45 said:
Grumble grumble grumble... nights where I was getting 3 hours of sleep for 2 weeks... grumble grumble grumble... making me come up with the music for all 5 cutscenes with about 3 weeks worth of notice... grumble grumble grumble... telling me you needed another peice of music on the 22nd... yea... it would be nice to check with me before setting a deffinate date next time so I can sleep and eat rather than go tired and hungry for a few weeks :p

Wow. Here I was thinking /I/ was uninformed about my workload! :p Great effort, Michael, the music turned out beautifully.

Well, its not that I was uninformed about how much... just when exactly they would need it by. I'm just glad I got it all done... people liking it is icing on the cake.

I also hope I passed my finals... cause that's what caused the real problem. They tell me they want to release it 3 weeks before they want to release it... right around when all my finals for my first semester of college started. I think I failed Spanish... oh well.

Needaham45 said:
I also hope I passed my finals... cause that's what caused the real problem. They tell me they want to release it 3 weeks before they want to release it...
Well, you gotta be fair, we'd been talking about wanting to get it done by Christmas long before we decided on a release date :p.

The music and cutscenes gave a "noir" movie style to it, very neat. Indeed i wouldnt expect jazz style for the cutscenes music Q.
I liked the possibilities in some missions (to join or not the pirates, to rescue or not sparrow), it actually got me thinking about it for a while ;)
The only complaint is that the main character an spoons looked too bored...
there is a major fight going to the right, and it feels something like:
"How was your day?"
"The usual...i had a hot-dog..."
"...yeah?"
"...yep..."

The target scanning, the "tractor beam" were nice touches.
Liked to see the blue jump effect there instead of the green one :D

KillerWave said:
The music and cutscenes gave a "noir" movie style to it, very neat. Indeed i wouldnt expect jazz style for the cutscenes music Q.
Noir's the idea ;). I'm very pleased with the way it worked out.

It's really great, and has the polish of a professional game. Well done. :)

One thing: the gun convergence on the gladius is a wee bit too high don't you think? Every time I fire my lasers I can see them crossing over each other. :p

And the suns(it's been like that since WCP though) don't look like they are emitting light. The center which should be bright is always in a matte light grey.

And you could've cranked up the lighting a bit, since it was a bit dark here...I'm not talking about ambient light or something. I like the black shadows, but the main lighting could've been stronger.

There's one thing about the music...Did you fiddle with the midis or did you just take the WC2 ones and converted them to WCP format? Maybe it's just me but it sounded ..s somehow hollow compared to the original midis. Mabe a different instrument set.

Otherwise it's great. I'm looking forward to the main release.
:cool:

Y'know, I'm still getting my computer up to snuff, so even though I'm *IN* the bloody game, I have yet to play the final release (y'know, with voiceovers and other stuff added in, and all of the missions functioning).

Lynx said:
There's one thing about the music...Did you fiddle with the midis or did you just take the WC2 ones and converted them to WCP format? Maybe it's just me but it sounded ..s somehow hollow compared to the original midis. Mabe a different instrument set.

I took the original MIDIs, and the first thing I did was arrange them based on the original instrumentation. A lot of things didn't make sense and I think were done because of the poor quality of synthesizers of the time. For example, a lot of times there was a part that was labeled a certain instrument, yet it called for a differnent patch (such as a track labeled string bass calling for the tuba patch). The first thing I did was fix all of this. After that I added my own orchestrative touch to it, changed around some of the endings to allow them to repeat and loop better, and then rendered it on my synthesizer. If you listen to my renders and the original renders next to each other, the difference is astounding - I credit it mostly to the advancement of music synthesis technology since the original game. I deffinately think, while they're not perfect, the renders for Standoff in fact sound more 'real' and more 'full' than the original renders for WC2, but that's just my opinion.

I'm also very pleased with the way the cutscene music worked out. I always felt like using the jazz tunes I used would set the noir mood well, but I was very concerned in this day and age about using jazz as a primary style in the soundtrack. I think we all were - it was something of a risk. However, the response seems to be quite good, so we're probably going to continue to do it in the future.

Great work on the music you guys. On everything really. Now if I can just get my joystick to work so I can actually *play*... :(

Back