Off to England tomorrow

Percy said:
There's another line of thought running over here in the UK.
That the bombs coincided with the G8 summit but the G8 was not the real target. The real target was London and the G8 summit just so happened to have helped them out by occupying a large amount of the London police and security forces up in Gleneagles.
Well, terrorists do not really target cities. That might sound strange, but think about it - was New York the target of the September11th attacks? No, it wasn't - the US was the target, and New York was merely the specific location where this target was attacked. Similarly, London was not the target - it was just a place where attacking the target (either the UK, or the G8 summit) was easiest and/or most effective.

ChrisReid said:
Yeah really.. the outcome of the summit was that they decided to give tens of billions of dollars to poor countries. Isn't that what you Live Aid people wanted? What's the problem now?
I'm not a live "8" person. I personally think that it was a waste of time, and without the removal of the corruption in Africa's politicians, more of our money is just going to get embezzled into someones overseas bank account.

Quarto said:
Well, terrorists do not really target cities. That might sound strange, but think about it - was New York the target of the September11th attacks? No, it wasn't - the US was the target, and New York was merely the specific location where this target was attacked. Similarly, London was not the target - it was just a place where attacking the target (either the UK, or the G8 summit) was easiest and/or most effective.

I never really thought of it like that. That's a very good point. Thinking about it, if Poverty was "made history", then I wonder how much that would affect terrorism. I reckon there would be a lot of people who wouldn't be driven to terrorism that way.

Quarto said:

Although this is true...the more specific target of 9/11 was a massive financial institution. The fact that they hit a large landmark in addition was just bonus. If all they were trying to hit was a skyscraper then the Empire State Building would have been just as good. The 9/11 attack was a very strategically placed strike that was intended to bring about financial upheaval (which in many respects...mission was accomplished). The trickle effects from the loss of the World Trade Center and the financial instituations have resounded throughout our industries for the past 3 years or so... The US was the victim, but the target was the institution. (In other words I'm saying: I punched Mr. X but more specifically I targeted his jaw).

The financial upheaval was due to the fact that a major terrorist attack murdered 3.000 americans on their own soil. Whatever material things where in the WTC, they are not compared to this.

Yeah. Despite the fancy name, the WTC wasn't some super-special place without which world trade would grind to a halt. It was really just a big office building. And it's worth noting that there are World Trade Centres in many cities worldwide - so had the WTCA itself been the objective, then other WTC buildings elsewhere in the world would have been the secondary targets. Instead, the secondary targets were the Pentagon and Capitol Hill - which tells you whose attention they were trying to get.

My older bro-in-law (who just finished his CT studies and about to be shipped off to the RAAF) and I where talking about this too over dinner just after the bombings. We came to the thinking of the Building hit are of no importance, its how many people are hit with a minimum effort.
They all hit one of the most powerful and influential parts of their target countries: The masses. "He who controls the mob controls Rome"

Delance said:
The financial upheaval was due to the fact that a major terrorist attack murdered 3.000 americans on their own soil. Whatever material things where in the WTC, they are not compared to this.

That would depend on the value that you assign to human life...priceless or worthless. Irregardless, I agree with you. The financial upheaval was more a result from the attack on American soil... If mere mass carnage were their sole objective they'd have been much more successful in crashing a plane into a packed football stadium. I don't mean for this to sound lightly but 3,000 lives is trivial compared to what they could have done. American Financial upheaval was certainly a goal of the attack, which explains why trade centers around the world were not secondary targets. The financial upheaval that did result was burdensome due to the fact that several companies located within the Trade Center didn't have an adequate backup program to archive and protect their records...with their destruction the fallout results were quite considerable. The company for which I used to be employed by, Marsh & McClennan was one of those companies...MMC is a global multi billion dollar company but 2001 nearly bankrupted it due to physical loss of their headquarters, the resulting stock crashs of the market etc. The loss of the two buildings alone resulted in what amounted to several billion dollars...a burden that was placed squarely on the reinsurance companies across the nation (and a few international insurance companies). Not to mention the life insurance policies on the 3,000 left dead...the medical insurance coverage on the wounded and the trauma counselling etc and etc. Also several businesses filed for "loss of income" coverage for the expenses they occurred during their relocation and for the loss income that they were unable to collect as a result of the attack. The trickle costs of these payments was felt by virtually every major insurance company in America.

My point is...financial ruin was the calculated and anticipated result of the 9/11 attacks. Human carnage, destruction of famous landmarks and everything else that might have accompanied the 9/11 attack were merely bonus for them. If either of those had been the focus of the attack then they could have accomplished those goals in a much easier and much more devastating manner. I believe most economists would agree with me in this assessment (which does not mean that you have to. :) ).

Well i lost my brother in the london attacks and all i can say is i hope we catch who ever did it im in the armed forces so as soon as we find them i hope we do something about it im just glad the US is by our side!!!!

Youngblood said:
Well i lost my brother in the london attacks and all i can say is i hope we catch who ever did it im in the armed forces so as soon as we find them i hope we do something about it im just glad the US is by our side!!!!
Thats horrible! Is he missing or confirmed dead? Either way, my condolences.

hes missing but i have to admit i cant really hold my breath as if he were alive im sure we would of been contacted i know u guys prob dont wanna hear this but sum how it feels good 2 get it of my chest if u know what i mean

Youngblood said:
thank you! you wouldnt belive how much that means it good to know we have such a close online comunity!!

There's occasionally people in #Wingnut to talk about things like that as well.

Back