Off to England tomorrow

powell99

Aviation Junkie
Damn im excited! I love traveling. Anyways I think it will be wierd that I have to spend the 4th of July in London. So I learned I can't go to France. However, Im going to Scotland and Newcastle. If there is something I should see in Newcastle please tell me because I am curious.

ooooh, I got my ticket booked to a london trip I'll be taking in August ! Man, I knew Paris is a bad place to walk these days, but London? Good luck Powell99!

Paris wasn't so bad when I was there in March. (it was cold but tolerable and most tourist things were located at a pretty tolerable distance). The news on the tube explosions in London is quite tragic...that's definitely going to hamper his maneuverability on this trip. Let's hope the authorities are able to find enough evidence to arrest the conspirators.

Really? I hadn't heard this was a suicide bomber situation? That could definitely be the case if so then...yeah probably not much to go on.

From the reports currently available, the London bombing was set up similarly to the Madrid train bombings last year, with the bombs put in place by terrorists who weren't on the actual bombed vehicles.

Hey guys I just got out of London to where Im staying in Billingshurst. Walking was a pain anyone who was in London can say it was raining for quite some time. Once I got to Greenwich I got a lift home. Yesterday I went to a antique shop and got a WW2 era RAF uniform. Im headed up to Newcastle tomorrow and then home. Im really mad about all of this I was going to the IWM and the RAF museum. Ah well.

Let's hope the authorities are able to find enough evidence to arrest the conspirators.

Maybe this series of coordinated attacks has something to with that global war on terror the kids today are always talking about.

I hope all out WC fans in England are okay. This is a really terrible situation. We feel your pain. We had our own tragedy on September 11, 2001.

Yep, I'm just fine thanks. Luckily as I live in Cardiff, no one outside of Wales knows where it is or wheather it's vaugley significant. I've talked to some english people who upon telling them where I lived responded with

"Cardiff? Where's that?"

So I reckon I'll be fairly safe down here, provided a tactical nuclear missile happens to land somewhere in the vicinity of the border of Wales.

I think everyone in England is just getting on with getting to normality as quickly as possible.
Don't forget, we've been getting bombed by the IRA for decades so in a strange way, a lot of the reaction has been "oh no, not another bombing incident"
The only difference this time is the number of bombs that exploded in quick succession whereas normally, its just a single bomb.

Although we're saying this is our 9/11, what we've suffered so far still pales in comparison to what the US suffered

Why why why can't we just sort out our differences over a nice game of football/soccer or have an arm wrestling tournament or something, dammit!

It realy makes you stop and think about your own safety when things like that happen. I live in Scotland but my dad used to stay in the Barbican 2 tube stops from Kings Cross! It realy made me think when I realised I had been to every bomb site at one time or another. Powel if ure still going to Scotland i could show you around edinburgh if you want a guide.

Bandit LOAF said:
Maybe this series of coordinated attacks has something to with that global war on terror the kids today are always talking about.

Anyone think the Olympics is a sure fine way of attracting many western societies together in a specific location that just about screams "bomb me! bomb me! to these guys?

Ed

Edx said:
Anyone think the Olympics is a sure fine way of attracting many western societies together in a specific location that just about screams "bomb me! bomb me! to these guys?
Yeah, because only western countries attend the Olympics.

But seriously - truth is, such organised events are at virtually no risk. The organisers realise that they have to provide proper security, and they do. The organisers of the attacks, meanwhile, realise that attacking such an event would cost them a lot more effort and people than just bombing a subway or something. Now, this latest attack was obviously timed to coincide with the G8 summit. This would mean that de facto, G8 was the real target... but the terrorists preferred to go for the easier target instead.

Yeah really.. the outcome of the summit was that they decided to give tens of billions of dollars to poor countries. Isn't that what you Live Aid people wanted? What's the problem now?

Quarto said:
Now, this latest attack was obviously timed to coincide with the G8 summit. This would mean that de facto, G8 was the real target... but the terrorists preferred to go for the easier target instead.

There's another line of thought running over here in the UK.
That the bombs coincided with the G8 summit but the G8 was not the real target. The real target was London and the G8 summit just so happened to have helped them out by occupying a large amount of the London police and security forces up in Gleneagles.

Yesterday, I saw a lot of pictures of the explosion of the bus in the national papers. One of those were of blood stains and splatters on the sidewalls of nearby buildings. One particular picture had a stone-carved gargoyle/cherub with a hefty splatter made by either a head or a limb or a significant chunk of body part. These stone gargoyles are those ones that edge the tops of buildings 4 storeys high. :(

But seriously - truth is, such organised events are at virtually no risk. The organisers realise that they have to provide proper security, and they do. The organisers of the attacks, meanwhile, realise that attacking such an event would cost them a lot more effort and people than just bombing a subway or something.

While the original post was just being silly (I mean, what's the lesson - we should be scared out of having the Olympics?), they've certainly been a target for terrorism in the past -- for Arab terrorists in Munich and for homegrown nuts in Atlanta.

Back