Now that the series has been announced what are you HOPING for?

What would you like the WC TV series orientated around?

• The beginning of the Kilrathi war

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • The Kilrathi war (WC1-2 era)

Votes: 41 56.9%
  • The nephilim war

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Something new

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Something based prior to the kilrathi war

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
You only think or assume people harp on Mr. Hamill. He has, for the most part, fallen out of the public eye. The last jibe I heard against him was in Entertainment Weekly's review of WC4: "Have two anymore diminuitive actors shared the samed cramp set before?" (Refering to both Mr Hamill and Mr McDowell, respectively)

Mark has moved on. He pays his bills with voice-over work and maybe some personal appearances. He's got kids to support, he'll take jobs when he likes em and hecklers be damnned.

about the voyager stuff, Up until recently I found star trek strangly compeling, kinda like an addiction, you know like when you're not particually enjoying it but you're compeled to go on... its looking back on voyager you see that it was average at the best, even scorpion, arguably its best episode isn't watchable after the third time, you'll just get bored and do something else after five minutes... Plus I cant think of any truely spectacular set pieces either which stick to the back of your mind... when the fleet pulls away from the federation station to retake DS9 is almost awe inspiring. Also when you say that the other series used the same plot devices, the other Star Treks actually have compeling characters, and ones (not all by any means) which where fully developed... and it is in this that you see that the characters grow... in voyager it became the "seven show" after season 4. which is of course depressing on a story basis. some of the decent ideas the cunjured up where wasted like the internal tentsion between the Marque (excuse spelling) and Feds was never used after a few episodes... it definatly is a "wouldn't it be a lot better if..." kinda show, but really that isn't good enough.

heres something I pulled from http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ which pretty much sums up voyager:
Top ten things that never happened on Voyager

10. Janeway encounters Q and asks him to take the ship home.

9. Janeway takes any chance to get home.

8. Voyager is attacked, and none of the crew is hurt by an exploding plasma conduit.

7. Voyager is not attacked.

6. At the end of an episode, Voyager is in better shape than at the beginning.

5. Voyager encounters a completely intact cube and is immediately destroyed like usual starships.

4. Voyager runs out of shuttles/crew members.

3. A shuttle gets into an electromagnetic atmospheric turbulence. However, due to the excellent pilot abilities of Janeway/Chakotay/Tuvok the shuttle lands safely.

2. The crew are forced to play in a Shakespeare drama instead of just loitering in the holodeck.

1. Neelix discovers the secret of tasteful clothing.

and....

Ten more things that never happened on Voyager suggested by Martin Schulz

10. Compatibility problems with alien technology cannot be solved.

9. For once, alien technology is to Voyager's benefit.

8. Voyager returns after 70 years and the crew consists of a colorful bunch of human/alien half-breeds born on the ship.

7. Janeway learns that bending the rules does not necessarily mean breaking the rules.

6. A battle is lost because the weak point of the vastly superior enemy is not found.

5. Janeway realizes that it is better to avoid the territory of a vastly superior enemy. No chance - we're gonna fight it out. Let the Prime Directive be damned.

4. Small injuries of main characters such as blindness, disease or trivialities like death cannot be undone.

3. Someone needs more hairspray than Janeway.

2. Chakotay and Janeway

1. A new female crew member comes on board who looks better than Seven of Nine.

Even more things that never happened on Voyager

10. The crew needs more than one week to accomplish a major technological breakthrough.

9. Another wormhole is detected, but this time Harry Kim is not excited about it at all.

8. Seven realizes that Voyager has been in the Beta Quadrant already for months.

7. Tom notices that his Delta Flyer is taller than the shuttlebay door, but after all, he is a good pilot.

6. Janeway wakes up, only to realize that the whole 5th to 7th season was a dream, and all the events in "The Year of Hell" did actually take place.

5. B'Elanna creates holographic projections of the crew to attend the Doctor's slide shows.

4. The cryogenic chambers or the cloning lab are shown. The many crew members must come from somewhere, unless the lower ranks are frequently surgically altered.

3. Tom is demoted to crewman for not switching off the lights in shuttlebay 2, wherever this may be.

2. Harry and Seven

1. Janeway suffers a caffeine shock.

Well anyway I think I wanna get away from the Voyager and babylon five arguement...

The first season should consist of the events leading to the Kilrathi war... this would leave suitable time to establish characters, scene etc. before the real stuff happens...

And it shouldn't be based on the Tigers Claw...

You know 7 and 5 of your 2nd list contradict eachother :p Shows the intelligence level of people who agree with you, and that was the first list I looked at.

As for the "Seven show" thing in the later seasons I believe we saw FAR MORE character development with the Doctor as he became involved in the fight for Holographic rights, almost shut down after choosing to save a friend over an insanley cute ensign whos name I forget (hell she was only in that episode), when he injected that guy with a lethal virus in order to get him to change hospital policys, when he disobeyed orders and stole voyagers warp core in order to attempt to save the captain, when we saw his "fantasies" etc

Then theres Janeways past and how it came to effect her present actions, her guilt about previous missions and the destruction of the caretakers array.

The truth that chakotay was with the crue out of loyalty rather than doing what he enjoyed, this is shown well in the episode one small step when he risks the crew of the Delta Flier in order to rescue a piece of history (a manned space ship from 2032).

Tom Paris and B'ellana sprung a whole new side when they learned about their baby.

Hell even Ensign Kim fell inlove and yelled his head of at the captain for telling him what to feel, like hed have done that pre season 4 :p

And the series fortunatley wasn't even about character interaction, it was about new concepts and to list those I'd end up listing atleast half the episodes. Something very new just about EVERY episode.

Fine YOU need a story arc but please try and accept that for 200 episodes some of us would rather see a flood of new concepts that one or two spread out over the course of all those episodes, it'd be like if someone said... hey I know lets make a 100 hour film about WWII.

Originally posted by Wedge009
That's a good thing, IMHO. No blasted scandals, true or otherwise.

Yeah, I'm sure he's thanking his lucky stars he didn't turn out like Harrison Ford!

Quite possibly! Not everyone adores fame, fortune and so-called glory. At least not in grossly exaggerated amounts...

the lists wheren't mine. and they arn't attacking the show just taking a dig at it so to speak now lets leave this bloody voyager thing I said I didn't hate the show, I just dont want WCTV be like it... character development is quite important to create feeling from the viewer for the characters... besides dont you think kim would be getting a little pissed off with the captain? especially the fact that he saves the ship every other week and gets nothing in return? still an ensign when they get home... voyager wasn't as developed as it could have been and thats a shame...

"Lets leave it, now heres my poorly founded opinion"

I've said it all before, I'll leave you to ponder the issues of promotion on an isolated ship with no possibilities of transfers to/from.

Just chiming in here. Does anyone know when the show is actually due to come out? I'm guessing not, because this is all fairly new.

I think the show should be based on the Kilrathi War, but centred on a different ship and crew, with references made to the things we all know and love from the game.

I dont know when its coming out, I dont think anyone knows for certain, and I agree with you that it should be based on a different ship and crew in the kilrathi war.

Personally, I would prefer the series to take place aboard the Claw with more or less the original character lineup. I think the end of the movie would be the perfect place to start off and as for all this stuff about continuity... as long as the show is in the spirit of the games I don't mind how much they rewrite the timeline (though I think it makes sense to go with the major events of the games). I don't want the show to simply be a televisation of the games, mission for mission, nor a show about Blair that completely flouts the plot, nor set on another ship in another sector just so that it doesn't contradict with the timeline.

I mean Roberts himself said about the film that he was going for 'loosely based' - it's just an evolution of the concept. When it comes to transfering Wing Commander to the screen (be it for a movie or for TV) I prefer to think of it as an idea rather than a chain of events. The games stand on their own, they neither need the show to enhance them nor abide by them. I just want the show to be good enough to be able to make the same claim.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Yeah, I'm sure he's thanking his lucky stars he didn't turn out like Harrison Ford!

Harrison Ford did divorce his wife last year. She was a screenwriter on E.T.

Heard about that. Must admit I'm disappointed, but then that seems to be the trend for so many people these days. :(

I was disappointed too... but then I forgave him when watching the (terrible) movie Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom... when Kate Capshaw is trying to find the button to stop the ceiling from crushing Indy, she presses the wrong one and Indy's fist shoots out and he screams "YOUR OTHER RIGHT!!!"

Harrison Ford plays the same damned character in every film: A complete obnoxious asshole to everyone...and he still gets the girl. :)

Um, I'm not the expert on films that you claim to be (I'm being fair, not nasty here), but I don't think that last statement is fair or accurate. (Or was it not meant to be?)

Denno 'bout you but I agree with LeHah. He's pretty much a more down-to-Earth Han Solo in almost* every film. He plays the typical "chaotic good."

"GET OFF MY PLANE!!" :p

* 'member that movie where he gets amnesia...?

The whole "chaotic good" concept, most people don't use that set term without having played D&D. (Although I'm guessing this may be one of those wierd times... :) )

Back