Now that the series has been announced what are you HOPING for?

What would you like the WC TV series orientated around?

• The beginning of the Kilrathi war

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • The Kilrathi war (WC1-2 era)

Votes: 41 56.9%
  • The nephilim war

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Something new

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Something based prior to the kilrathi war

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
Re: WCIV

Originally posted by DonkeyMan
Season 4 should skip ahead right to the Nephilum War.

They could make WCP a spin off series, as it deals with a new set of characters.

I definitely like HeartoftheTiger's idea below. He seems to have a good grasp of how to divide up the story arcs for maximum dramatic effect.

If both the WC1/SM eras and the WC2/3 eras are being covered, then there will probably end up being two actors each cast for the roles of Blair, Maniac, Angel, and Spirit, since they are all young people in their early 20s at the destruction of the Tiger's Claw, and then eight or nine years will be glossed over quickly before the start of the WC2 story arc, so they would likely want to have an older cast for that.

I dont think following the tigers claw and Blair etc. would be a very good idea... personnally I would prefer something differerent, I would like to see a series set across the back-drop of the kilrathi war, but however, why not follow a different ship? a differerent crew, personnally I dont want to see Blair etc, go through the kilrathi war, in all reality I've seen that in the games... personnally I didn't mind the WW2 style ships which where in the movie... but I hated the fighters, When I heard the news that there was going to be a new TV series, I was unsure where they would take it... thinking about it and looking at the PNR website, it would be likely that they would follow the same style of the film, Im not to bothered with this as, watching the movie again, I think there are a lot of stuff to tighten up...

#fighter designs; something simmilar in shape and capability to the original fighters should be used instead of that "travasty" which they designed in the film.

#set designs; the idea of submarine type interiors to the ships I think was a good idea... but what was the need for those BBC/acorn style keyboards? I think all the computer systems and that should look suitbally advanced... more things along the lines of the holo map which was in the film...

#story: my pitch is for the TV series to be based on different ship, TCS Vanguard or something, and while it does its own thing during the story, It should tie in with key events of the war etc, this way you avoid fighting the continuity (no blair did this then... the tiger claw was not there at that date etc...) Also the overall story arc must be clearly defined before it even starts (a la babylon 5) this should in theory avoid mostly pointless "template" stories whcih are very common in star trek...

#Kilrathi: they have got to sort these out some how... you cant use the Movie ones and the WC3 ones will look woefully cheap... what will they do...

# the idea to suddenly jump forward to the people when they are 20 something to 30 something, aint a wise choice... its probably un workable when you think about it...

Well anyway I think nows time to finnish what do you guys think?

Ehh, I feel like picking on Babylon 5.

It's a fine show with lots of amazing whatevers and a really exciting whoever. BUT IT'S NOTHING SPECIAL.

The only difference between Babylon 5 and Deep Space Nine was that while watching Babylon 5 we also suffered through JMS going "THERES A SECRET STORY ARC! KEEP WATCHING!! ARC! ARC!" over and over. Babylon 5 is *just* as guilty (and why is this bad?) of having one-off filler episodes as any Star Trek series. The creator screaming ARC! ARC! over and over on the UseNet doesn't make it so. Is Babylon 5 somehow exempted from its lame filler episodes (There's a *secret* hidden moster on the station!) because you get *told* there's a story arc somewhere else? And is Star Trek somehow demonized because they don't claim to make everything fit together for no apparent reason? Would any TNG story be better told with various mindless references to previous episodes thrown in?

Well to be fair its nice to see the consequences of characters actions, it worked very well in SG-1 where you had the 2nd episode with their robot duplicates, having the girl they rescued come back into the plot, and especially having that race from the episode 2010 reappear, seeing what the military did with the captured gliders BUT this was more of not ignoring things that had already been brought into the series, rather than intentionally linking them altogether so it eventually looks like a tangled bit of stringed x-mas popcorn which is how I see Babylon 5.

To be honest I'm one of the few people who actually seems to really like Voyager, other than being stranded it didn't have much of an arc but it had some of the most original, compelling and at times even emotional episodes but always leaving room for phaser fights :D

Uhoh, agreeing with LOAF? :rolleyes: I'm worried, this doesn't often happen, am I going insane?! :eek:

Re: Re: WCIV

Originally posted by Meson
They could make WCP a spin off series, as it deals with a new set of characters.

They could also give me $250,000 for being a Wing Commander fan, but both ideas are really stupid.

I dont think you are quite getting what I mean... I dont want it to be a copy of babylon 5, but I do want it to have a firm story arc, not the aimless crap which voyager made us endure for seven years, only 4 episodes of voyager are worth watching (trust me I've seen almost all of the seven seasons). Babylon 5 had its fair share of crap, in fact I hadly ever seen it after the first season. Besides Im not demonising Star Trek, just voyager, I loved the later seasons of DS9 and the older stuff and most of the movies are pretty decent,

The WC tv show should have a firm background story, not just the "new adventure each week" which worked in the sixites. any what do you think of the other points I made?

Originally posted by Conrad
The WC tv show should have a firm background story, not just the "new adventure each week" which worked in the sixites.
I disagree. In the first season or two, you want to catch as many viewers as you can. This means that the show has to be accessible to anyone - if the average viewer needs to know the back story from twenty other episodes in order to check out a new show, he simply won't bother. B5, I think, proves this point very well. I keep hearing people talking about what a great show it is - but it's usually just a few people making a lot of noise. There is no mass following to B5, and there never will be. You could argue that that's because it's science fiction and therefore less accessible to the general public; however, that argument would ignore the incredible success of the Star Trek franchise.

On the other hand, if a show is already popular, it needs an overall story arc to keep long-time viewers interested - they need to see development and changes, otherwise they'll get bored.

In conclusion, it's generally best to start off with a lot of one-offs and very little overall story arc in the first season, and then gradually develop the overall story arc.

Oh, and BTW,
not the aimless crap which voyager made us endure for seven years, only 4 episodes of voyager are worth watching (trust me I've seen almost all of the seven seasons).
There's something very bizarre about that sentence... if you felt that Voyager was aimless crap, why on earth did you keep watching after the first few episodes? Clearly, you enjoyed Voyager a lot more than you care to admit.

I have to say Voyager had numerous original plots and some of the episodes were incredibly compelling, I've got a pile of tapes sitting here next to me at uni that I couldn't leave behind, and at home near enough all 7 seasons bought and payed for. In retrospect I wish the show had spent more time in the planning stages as seasons 1, 2 and 3 are very much overshadowed by the last 4 but even those are full of gems.

Actually the show might be interesting if they focused on Brownhair instead of a Confed pilot

Having a privateer that gets mixed up/talked into some covert actions for confed might be interesting, it allows for everything we've seen before staying intact, brings in new characters, but doesn't need a "continuous" ongoing plot.

I'd definately find a role for Mark Hamill - make him and Admiral or something.

I have to say Voyager had numerous original plots

ROTFLMAO!!! How many times did they use an anti-proton beam to save the ship???

BTW. Did anyone else think Voyager looked like a toilet?

Most problems with Voyager are all of the "it would have been great if" genre, not "it's horrible that they" -- which isn't entirely fair on the show.

Why I can't think a single episode where they used an anti proton beam to save a ship.....
thinking.....
thinking.....
theres one where they used a beam but forget its name to save a 'medical transport' taking a cloaking device back to its people coulda been an anti proton beam.

I'm not sure how the method used to initate a plot is relevant tho? Its not as if the saving of a ship was ever the main focus of an episode, the less technical jargon they make up IMO the better.

Originally posted by bonecollector
ROTFLMAO!!! How many times did they use an anti-proton beam to save the ship???

Both statements are stupid.

1) for your first statement: I can´t remember how many times, but in TNG Data saved the day lot of times because he is an android, and Troi too with her empathy, the same with DS9 and the shapeshifting habilities of Odo, the *contacts* of Quark, and in TOS Spock saved the day for being Vulcan, and no one said that those shows are crap for the reasons mentioned above.

2)No, they had weak episodes but there are others who had a good story without using technobabble gadgets.

I'd definately find a role for Mark Hamill - make him and Admiral or something.

But... why?

No, I think it looks like YUR MOM! HOOOOOOO! :rolleyes:

I'd definitely find a role for Mark Hamill - make him and Admiral or something.
If you're referring to a role as Blair, I don't think it's a good idea - I don't think Blair was ever comfortable as a "staff officer".

If you weren't referring to Blair then... I see no point in asking Hamill to do anything.

People REALLY give hamill a hard time but he was a good actor, comfortable with his roles, the problem was this only worked when his roles didn't call for too much emotion from him :p

But all said and done that doesn't make him a bad actor, just restricts his roles, he made a GREAT Blair.

Absolutely. Whenever I see (post-crash) pictures of him, I think of Blair, not Skywalker, not anyone else. :)

BTW, I don't see why people have reason to give Mark such a hard time, anyway.

People have absolutely no reason to bash on Mark, he's bad-ass! Everyone I know loves him for at least one, if not multiple, roles he's done in his life.

Make it around the Nephilem war I wanna see the new tech and new ships blow some bugs straight back to the darkness they came from and want to send us to!

Back