Now that the series has been announced what are you HOPING for?

What would you like the WC TV series orientated around?

• The beginning of the Kilrathi war

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • The Kilrathi war (WC1-2 era)

Votes: 41 56.9%
  • The nephilim war

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Something new

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Something based prior to the kilrathi war

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
Well only the fans would care if known characters were used, perhaps Chris Roberts would preffer the increased freedom of creating a new set of characters?

Personally I would like to see the series begin where Wing Commander 2: Special Operations ended, and go on from there, through the end of the Kilrathi War (if the show manages to last that long, here's hoping), spotlighting the Borderworlds incident, and at least getting into the Nephilim war. I know that's asking alot, but they could do it. Look at Babylon 5, they covered two or three major wars over the course of five seasons. Oh and if they are smart, they will use the original cast (Mark Hamill, Tom Wilson, Malcolm McDowell, Jason Bernard, and John Rhys-Davies)
I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy watching the movie sequences of Wing Commander 4 a heck of alot better than that crap they claim passes for a movie with Freddie Prinz Jr.

Originally posted by Orcslayer
Oh and if they are smart, they will use the original cast (Mark Hamill, Tom Wilson, Malcolm McDowell, Jason Bernard, and John Rhys-Davies).

i doubt they will use any of them partly because of the cost and also because Jason Bernard died in i think it was 97 or 98

Originally posted by Pedro
Well only the fans would care if known characters were used, perhaps Chris Roberts would preffer the increased freedom of creating a new set of characters?

You don't seem to understand <G> They *don't care* what a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny minority of people purcashing the product think. No sane person would compromise their product because six people out of ten million might complain.

WC isn't a sci fi universe in the heads of people buying a TV show. It's a set dynamic...

Jason Bernard has died a couple of years ago, so it won't be possible to get him for the TV-Show.

What I prefer would be a Show that tells the story of the games. Start with a pilot in the WC1-era, after Blair is assigned for the TCS Tiger's Claw. You could end the first half of the season with the End of the first WC-Game (since most TV-Shows nowadays only get a contract for a half season, and thus the show would'nt seem to unfinished even if it would get cancelled after that time). The rest of the 1 season should concentrate on the Secret Missions, introducing the Firrekans and of course Hobbes. The first season should end like WC2 started: With the destruction of the Tiger's Claw, the talk between Tolwyn and Blair, and the last image should be Melek and Trakath talking about the soon conquering of earth ("The fools blame him for the loss of the tiger's claw. He will never fly a fighter again"). Then, even if the show would get cancelled, there would be some kind of an ending.

Of course I hope it would go further. In the second season, I would spent the first half to bring Blair to the Concordia and so on, and would end the first half of the season with the loss of Spirit. The end of the second season then should be just like the end of WCII. In the third season I would like to see the SO's, as well as the peace treaty between the Confederation and the Kilrathi and the following "secret missions" (as described in Forstchens novel; Blair could easily take Bondarevsky's place) and, certainly, the battle for Earth.

Season four would follow WC3's storyline, with the distruction of Kilrah and the surrender of the Kilrathi as the big conclusion. And, obviously, the great story of WC4 should be told in a fifth season, if there should ever be any...

I know, we haven't even got a show yet, and all this seems pretty unlikely, but hey, let a little fanboy dream his dreams... *g*

HAVE A NICE DAY
Heart of the Tiger

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

You don't seem to understand <G> They *don't care* what a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny minority of people purcashing the product think. No sane person would compromise their product because six people out of ten million might complain.

WC isn't a sci fi universe in the heads of people buying a TV show. It's a set dynamic...

Hmm... well, I don't know, but doesn't it sound a little bit unlogical to first ask the fans what they would think of a Wing Commander TV show and then after a positive response ignore them?? I think, Sci-fi-shows in the past have shown how important a loyal fanbase is. If I were CR, I wouldn't let them down so fast...

Originally posted by HeartoftheTiger

Hmm... well, I don't know, but doesn't it sound a little bit unlogical to first ask the fans what they would think of a Wing Commander TV show and then after a positive response ignore them?? I think, Sci-fi-shows in the past have shown how important a loyal fanbase is. If I were CR, I wouldn't let them down so fast...

They didn't ask the fans what they would think of a WC series, though. <G>

Sorry LOAF but I think you missed my point, my point being that ONLY the fans would notice and therefore care if the original characters were used so by simply creating a new set of characters Chris Roberts has more freedom and hes only upset the small number of fans which you so rightly pointed out they don't care that much about. And personally as a fan I would RATHER have new characters than them messing with the continuity of the old ones anyway so it suits me fine.

No, you missed my point.

An investor licenses Wing Commander not as a 'sci fi universe', but as a story dynamic. With X character and Y character and Z character who have proven that they make an interesting story that sells. If they want to tell a similar story with different characters they don't pay to license Wing Commander.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Plus, I've always thought of the Kilrathi as being original, especially these days when aliens are often portrayed as being insectile.

Ironically, when WC1 was first released, the insectoid aliens hadn't been seen in quite a while. Instead, one of the "big" alien races (aside from humans with prosthetics and make-up, as seen with the Klingons and Romulans) was Larry Niven's Kzinti, which are...
*drumroll*
Giant humanoid felines that believe in personal honor and the warrior ethic.

Gee...
Never seen THAT before...

They also eat their most distinguished captives (*cough*Angel*cough*).

One of the most interesting things about them is that the modern female Kzin are unintelligent (which probably is not a point they share with the Kilrathi, although I don't recall seeing any female Kilrathi anywhere in the continuity).

Incidentally, Niven's Kzinti also appear in the classic starship boardgame Starfleet Battles. That was because Niven wrote a couple of episodes of the Star Trek animated series, and used his favorite felines in those episodes. Those same Kzinti became the new missile users in Starfleet Command 2 (name changed most likely due to copyright issues).

The Kilrathi were basically just hairy Klingons, anyway <G> There's nothing spectacularly unique about them...

(Hehe, but the similarities between "The Warriors" and the Iason incident are pretty evident...)

That connection is basically how I enticed my Star Trek friend into liking WC, he loved the Klingons, and when I showed him the Kilrathi, he loved them too. Now he splits his attention between both.

Hang on LOAF so are you saying that the names Christopher Blair and Tod "Maniac" Marshall were what made the series great? ;) Thats just mad.
They don't care about messing with the characters but they do have to have the same names? Ok so I have my theories on why people watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer but its a bit odd thinking that names normally effect how much people enjoy something. (Didn't save the WC movie)

About the only change in character for the better thus far has been the Colonel Jack O'Neill personality for the Stargate series, Kurt Russells usual silent routine.... not good :p But the question is.... couldn't they have just given him a new name?

Well, all I care about is if they do this, they should release the season(s) on DVD a little later, like the X-Files is doing. That way you don't have to wait for re-runs to watch your favorite episodes again.

Originally posted by Pedro
Hang on LOAF so are you saying that the names Christopher Blair and Tod "Maniac" Marshall were what made the series great? ;) Thats just mad.
They don't care about messing with the characters but they do have to have the same names? Ok so I have my theories on why people watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer but its a bit odd thinking that names normally effect how much people enjoy something. (Didn't save the WC movie)

About the only change in character for the better thus far has been the Colonel Jack O'Neill personality for the Stargate series, Kurt Russells usual silent routine.... not good :p But the question is.... couldn't they have just given him a new name?

I am not saying that the *names* made the characters great. I am saying that the names are what TV executives are paying for.

The name wing commander I can understand, the alien races, maybe even the ships but why are they paying for character names? I mean its not like the series was called Col Blair ;)
Well I mean I AM HAPPY as long as they don't screw with the timeline, I think once you gave me a listing of reasons Blair could have been off and on and on again the Tigers claw but it was a stretch to say the least, if the TV show has him stepping on board the Tigers Claw for the first time again I'm gonna scream, plain and simple :D

Keep the Pilgrims out, the WWII sets out, the green kilrathi and d... submarine shaped capital ships, keep well and truly clear of the use the force chris stuff, awww hell just stick to the games and ignore the movie and I really will just be happy to have a WC series, otherwise I'm sure I'll spend the first few episodes complaining before I start being happy (I STILL get very very uptight when I see the Gandalf vs Saruman wizard fight in tLotR movie)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

I am not saying that the *names* made the characters great. I am saying that the names are what TV executives are paying for.
Mmmmh ok, from what you're saying here, what characters will be involved in the TV series is the only thing we are sure of...

WCIV

I like the idea of having a game a season but since WCIV was only 2 weeks long i don't think they should make that an additional season. They should make it a TV movie or Miniseries like they did with Babylon 5. Season 4 should skip ahead right to the Nephilum War.

Actually the show might be interesting if they focused on Brownhair instead of a Confed pilot, and that would also free them from having to pay license to use the names of Blair, Tolwyn, etc. For the pilot they could just do the story of the original Privateer game, that actually would make quite an excellent two hour pilot.

Back